autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is ceramic coating or paint correction necessary for me?

I got a new x3 2019 and want to keep in great condition due to the fact i like this car and costing me a lot. I'm in Seattle where it rains a lot and won't be using this car much (more like weekend car). I'm in Seattle btw where rains a lot!!!!

I do the following (whenver it seems like it rains after i drive this, I'll do this the following day) So if it's like weekend driving, I'll do this on a Sunday and drive Fri and Sat. Or even 2x a day if it keeps raining.

1). Pressures wash rinse
    2). Foam Gun with good pressure washer (gas powered honda)
    3). Pressure wash rince
    4). Foam Gun again
    5). Air dry with leaf blower (yes it works just can't drop it onto the car) then microfiber the remaining

If dirt, mudwater, or debris comes too play from Seattle weather or random happenings,

I add the 2 bucket method with grit guards if it rains on Sunday and then I'll wash on monday and leave in garage the whole week

So with that said, is ceramic cover or paint correction needed? Of course I'll do my claybar and wax (whenever its warranted) Ceramic coating seems quite pricey and doing it alone seems like you need pros.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is ceramic coating or paint correction necessary for me?

If this is your first time coating a vehicle I would suggest one of the coating lite products like Gyeon CanCoat, CarPro CQuartz Lite, or TacSystems Moonlight. All of these have a forgiving application and you get 6 months to a year from one application. Since you are blow drying your car these products really bead making blow drying much easier.

Once you get the hang of applying one of these you can step up to a full blown coating (if you want to) and you will be more familiar with applying a coating. Truthfully the hardest thing about applying a true coating is learning not to over apply and buff off completely. In Seattle the most difficult thing may be keeping the coating dry long enough for it to cure. Lol.

3. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with rlmccarty and will add another point...the X3 will be much easier to clean with your frequent washings. And, like brother Mccarty said, it drys soooo much easier and quicker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I agree with rlmccarty and will add another point...the X3 will be much easier to clean with your frequent washings. And, like brother Mccarty said, it drys soooo much easier and quicker.
    Whole heartedly agree. In a climate where a vehicle is constantly exposed to weather, coatings are the way to go. They will also stay clean a bit longer as grime doesn't cling as easily.

Coatings might be a little more expensive on the front end, but they will least 18~24 months (10-ish for those like CanCoat), which to me is worth it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

So you get yours done professionally? So they do the whole process from start to finish.. like clean, wash polish (or whatever done between) then ceramic coating? That's quite long 18-24 months. When do you know when you need to reapply? water beading starts to not slide?

Do you put was over the ceramic coating too.. or ceramic coating basically replaces wax now

Wonder if ceramic coating is a new thing cause 8 years ago i just heard wax and claybar lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    If this is your first time coating a vehicle I would suggest one of the coating lite products like Gyeon CanCoat, CarPro CQuartz Lite, or TacSystems Moonlight. All of these have a forgiving application and you get 6 months to a year from one application. Since you are blow drying your car these products really bead making blow drying much easier.

Once you get the hang of applying one of these you can step up to a full blown coating (if you want to) and you will be more familiar with applying a coating. Truthfully the hardest thing about applying a true coating is learning not to over apply and buff off completely. In Seattle the most difficult thing may be keeping the coating dry long enough for it to cure. Lol.
    So thin coat.. and buff off completely (is there way to know its buffed out completey?

And when you mean full blown coating are we talking like using lights etc to cure or something?

Yeah Seattle rains a lot but can't you just coat when it is dry outside.. Then park it in garage and wait until dries then bring back out and when not raining and buff out? I'm guessing once it rains all operation has to restart..

This is one reason not many detailers out here. Rain and darkness.. What's the point lol but ocd me.. allows me to continue

Post Thanks / Like

If you do it yourself make sure you clean under the door where hinge is located. BMW uses a corrosion inhibitor called cosmoline, on white paint this area always stains and looks awful

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by animescreen View Post
    So you get yours done professionally? So they do the whole process from start to finish.. like clean, wash polish (or whatever done between) then ceramic coating? That's quite long 18-24 months. When do you know when you need to reapply? water beading starts to not slide?

Do you put was over the ceramic coating too.. or ceramic coating basically replaces wax now

Wonder if ceramic coating is a new thing cause 8 years ago i just heard wax and claybar lol
    No, I do not have it done professionally. I do all the work my self and have on several of my vehicles, at least one of them more than once. I will wash the vehicle, clay, polish it out, wipe down with a prep spray, and then apply the coating.

For the coatings I've used, by the time 18~24 months rolled around I did notice the water beading wasn't very good. I also noticed at that point the paint looked like it needed to be polished up again.

You do use a coating as a replacement for a wax. I'm not sure how long they have been around, but I started using them about four years ago.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    If you do it yourself make sure you clean under the door where hinge is located. BMW uses a corrosion inhibitor called cosmoline, on white paint this area always stains and looks awful
    Your one post away from 666 so please do two post today lol

What do you mean under the door? You mean when i open the door and see the hinge area coat that as well with ceramic? I'm guessing cosmoline helps prevents rust right.

OR you mean just clean the hinge area (with meguiars quick detailer for example).

Learning new words as i go thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    No, I do not have it done professionally. I do all the work my self and have on several of my vehicles, at least one of them more than once. I will wash the vehicle, clay, polish it out, wipe down with a prep spray, and then apply the coating.

For the coatings I've used, by the time 18~24 months rolled around I did notice the water beading wasn't very good. I also noticed at that point the paint looked like it needed to be polished up again.

You do use a coating as a replacement for a wax. I'm not sure how long they have been around, but I started using them about four years ago.
    Glad you did yourself. Seems ceramic coating takes lot of patience, technique and skill. I'll practice on my mazda first. So do you polish and clay once a year? Or how often.

I was told ceramic coating last only like 4 months or so. Guess your using more potent one.

As for waxing. DO some people do ceramic coating (let say once or twice a year) then also do wax every like 4 to 6 months. (Just wondering what happens when ceramic coating and wax)

Wax is just fun for me even thought takes long .. BUt don't want some buildup and layers etc if that happens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast