autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonax BSD Application - Why is it so difficult?

BSD has a reputation for being difficult to apply and remove. I mix it 50/50 with CG V07 and goes on and comes off easy. I picked up this tip from the guys on Detailing World and they have been using it this way for over a decade.

2. Likes KBsToy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    Wow! Thank you for all the input!! I was just in Vegas last week, played golf in 90-100 degree weather and barely sweated!! I like the aerosol can and damp cloth ideas, I'll try one of those on my wife's car next week.

Unfortunately our weather in Houston/gulf coast is very humid (understatement of the year), about the only time our dew point is low is in October or November for a day or two!!!

Again, thank you very much.

Jay

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Yes sir. It gets insanely humid here on LI as well.

I would never think of applying any LSP or humidity-sensitive product during those peak days.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    BSD has a reputation for being difficult to apply and remove. I mix it 50/50 with CG V07 and goes on and comes off easy. I picked up this tip from the guys on Detailing World and they have been using it this way for over a decade.
    Are you talking about the V07 hybrid quick detailer sealant?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    Are you talking about the V07 hybrid quick detailer sealant?
    Yep.

6. Thanks spazzz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep... applied BSD on a humid Sunday this weekend and I was cursing to myself the whole time. As mentioned above, I switched to a short nap towel for applying and a long nap, and very dry MF to buff, and that made it a little easier. Took longer than usual but the car sure is shiny! BTW, I only apply the BSD every 2-3 washes, which works out to be every 3-6 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    I was just in Vegas last week, played golf in 90-100 degree weather and barely sweated!!
    I recall being in Vegas, outside all day in 108F and not sweating either and wondered whether that’s healthy or not? Am I not sweating because 108 doesn’t seem hot compared to 85F humid, or does the humidity spark something else in the body telling it to sweat?

On that particular trip I got home and had almost a wrinkly tan, and was very dehydrated despite barely sweating.

Post Thanks / Like

Jayfro, I feel your pain. Walk to the mailbox and get soaked with sweat. Its Relentless!

Post Thanks / Like

How often do you use the BSD?

If you like to spray it on the paint I would get a Flairosol fine mist spray bottle the one that builds up a pressure in it. This you get a even and less product used when sprayed on the paint. You can test with one spray in a short nap mf towel to wipe it in the paint and prime the mf towel with 1 spray first. I start at the roof and useally 3-4 sprays is only needed. See how it's spreading and just when you feel it's not spreading out anymore you spray 1 spray in the mf towel and move on. The application mf towel should not getting so much wet when you apply it. And if it gets saturated take out a fresh one. When you gently wipe it in and you see it starts to disapare. I take a plush mf towel around 500gsm and get the last of the BSD residue off. Flip to a fresh side often and it's useally when you see streaking left behind the mf towel has soaked up what it's able to do and you flip or refold or switch to a fresh one. If useing to much of product you need to be doing this very often. Otherwise 2-3 wipe off towels to a medium sized car. Also do not let it sit or dwell it's a wipe on wipe off product when used as a topper kind of product.

Most LSP products has problems when the humidity and heat is high. And if it's dew I don't use any protection. If you have a garage just let it be until the morning when the dew has stopped coming and apply it then.

You can test with a fine mist setting on a spray bottle to apply it with. But since you have PNS on the paint already or haveing a good amount of BSD left on the paint. I would spray it in a mf towel to apply it. A little product goes a long way with BSD. Rlmccarty mentioned CG V07 spray sealant and 50/50 with BSD is a well used mix here in EU and seems to be working great for those who useing it. You can also dilute it 50/50 with distilled water or even 1:3 if you use it as a drying aid. I use plush mf drying towels when I have used it as a drying aid. I don't like to be useing a drying aid at all and prefer to ad some gloss and protection on a dried paint after the wash. Also when you have something like PNS and top it with BSD or topping often with only BSD. You reach a point when your paint is saturated with the product. And you get trouble to apply a protection as the paint is not bonding as much of it. On something like PNS I would not use BSD more than monthly as it's very durable and even on it's own. This is also in good conditions to apply it in. If you want to use a drying aid I would go with McKees 37 N-914 rinseless wash and dilute it to QD dilution. Then you have your PNS and BSD shine and works on it's own as N-914 don't leave anything behind. Think Griots Garage Brilliant Rinseless Wash is also a product that don't leave anything behind. Much easier to work with in high humidity and heat I think too. If you get still residue or high spots a second dry plush mf towel to wipe it off can be needed. And do this as you apply it so it don't bond so hard. The benefit with BSD when it's a little grabby is that you feel when you have gotten it off as you will be feeling a little less grabby when it's off. With a plusher mf towel you would feel it easier and a more slick feeling from it.

11. Thanks KBsToy thanked for this post
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update...I applied BSD onto my wife's X3 this morning after washing by spraying BSD onto a low pile damp mf towel and wiping with a second mf towel, it worked like a champ!!

Since her car is white and hard to tell/confirm results, I applied it to the trunk lid of my black Acura the same way using the same mf towel...results were confirmed!

Thank you for all the help, it is GREATLY appreciated.

Jay

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

13. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Diner liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12