autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: All I can say is WOW! I couldn’t believe my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    I'm not scared I couldn't care less about m16. Its banned right? That's all that matters. Other issues have no relevance to m16 being banned. I didn't say I personally banned it.
    I was just giving you a hard time my friend. Lol

Mike Phillips

M16 was before my time I've only been into detailing and car care for 3 years.
    PM me your shipping address and I’ll send you a can. I might write an article about it - do a brain dump with what I know about it.

Now - back on topic.

3. Likes acuRAS82, expdetailing, Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    PM me your shipping address and I’ll send you a can. I might write an article about it - do a brain dump with what I know about it.

Now - back on topic.

Wow!! Really... That's incredible I will love to try it. Thanks Mike you really are the best.

Post Thanks / Like

To Mike or anybody else with first hand knowledge of M16, how would you say this compares to newer “finishing” or “beauty” waxes? I remember reading that this wax left possibly the best shine and finish, but didn’t last too long.

That was in “its day” though, compared to newer finishing or beauty waxes I’d imagine it probably holds up well in the looks department, but what about durability? Are they all destined to not last very long or are the newer ones more durable while retaining the exceptional finish? Any idea is the banned ingredient is was set the finish apart on M16 versus other waxes of its day or today?
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    To Mike or anybody else with first hand knowledge of M16, how would you say this compares to newer “finishing” or “beauty” waxes? I remember reading that this wax left possibly the best shine and finish, but didn’t last too long.

That was in “its day” though, compared to newer finishing or beauty waxes I’d imagine it probably holds up well in the looks department, but what about durability? Are they all destined to not last very long or are the newer ones more durable while retaining the exceptional finish? Any idea is the banned ingredient is was set the finish apart on M16 versus other waxes of its day or today?
    I'm not sure about the M16 but I would imagine today. If we are talking strictly carnauba/sealant waxes with no ceramics I would think the finishes from waxes like black fire carnauba or fusion souveran ect the finishes must be pretty comparable. I've gotten some great finishes especially with the blackfire

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I was still at Meguiars when the decision was made to not reformulate it so that it would comply with new EPA restrictions and regulations.

It was focusing on minutia - not the real pollution offenders such as entire (other) countries.

I have around 30 cans of pre-ban M16. Back when I detailed full time it was my choice of LSP - pre-Internet days.

M16 is a true “hard” or heavy wax.

See what I wrote here,

M16 versus P21S

In another 20 years Mike will be selling these on Bringatrailer along side 8 mile GNX's..... for similar money

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure about the M16...
    •I always enjoy the results (whenever
    I break down and actually use some
    of my getting-pretty-sparse stash).
    -I’ll wager you will too.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Protection is not the only aspect that comes into play when you rate a product. If you look at ads in the 1950s, they claim 6 months durability on the waxes... that aspect has not changed unless you use a coating.

What makes the newer product much better is the ease of use and the time you save using them. Instead of taking an hour or two waxing the vehicle, now you can do it in 15 minutes and you don't need to rub like a madman to remove the wax residues.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCanuck View Post
    Just over 3 months ago I did a job for a client that insisted that I use a certain type of wax in their vehicle. The wax they insisted I use was a very common OTC Brand in a green bottle and was close to 10 years old. I tried to sell him on products I have that I thought would be superior, but in the end I did what the customer wanted and applied his wax.

I went back yesterday to do just a quick exterior wash, and interior clean up. The vehicle was fairly dirty due to the fact that they live on a gravel road. After I washed and dried the vehicle, I absolutely could not believe what I saw. The wax coat was still there and looked like the day I applied it. The depth and slick, and shine was comparable to some of the higher priced boutique products that I use and love.

Now, I’m not about to run out and stock up in this stuff and start using it, but, it sure makes you think.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123