autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rain

Post Thanks / Like

rain

I was able to buff out water spots off my car, most likely caused by sprinklers. I live in southern Florida and it constantly rains here. Should I be in panic every time it rains which is every day in the afternoon? Do I need to wash the car every time it rains? Which would be every day. I spend a lot of money on blackfire products I don't want my paint damaged from water or rain. What is the correct approach for a daily driver black car in very hot southern Florida?

2. Likes astro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: rain

Sell it and get a white car LOL

I live in Tampa, unless it's a garage queen like my GC.

Rain won't hurt as long as you have a good sealant on it, it's no where near as bad as hard water from sprinklers.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Sell it and get a white car LOL

I live in Tampa, unless it's a garage queen like my GC.

Ran won't hurt as long as you have a good sealant on it, it's no where near as bad as hard water from sprinklers.
    So true! This is my last black car.

5. Likes Misterpaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just traded my white Rogue in for this.
    Polish Angel Cosmic beading during a Florida thunderstorm. When I drive it rolls right off. No water spots etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rain

I live in Houston so our weather is going be similar. I think Sonax PNS is something you might want to look at.

I just corrected my black Acura a month or so ago with BF One Step, then applied PNS based on the strong recommendation from Mike P. I no longer have water spots, it just beads right off and the "self cleaning" is pretty awesome too! Application isn't hard but it's not the easiest, inside a garage, spray a small area, let it set for about 45-60 seconds then wipe/buff. I found that the initial application took some time since it was my first time and the extreme humidity and possibly the heat (95%+ and about 90-95 degrees that day) made it a little harder to set...but man once it set...it looks awesome!

I did my wife's BMW X3 2 weeks ago with BF One Step and PNS, it went a little faster since I knew in's and out's of PNS and was ready for it!

I'd recommend having quite a few high quality MF towels, a good light to inspect it as you go to hit the high spots, work in small areas so it doesn't dry, work in a covered area/garage. If it does dry, just spray a little on the area and wipe, not a big deal!! I also found when you apply it, it tends to be a bit (ok, more than a bit) grabby on the towel. I've since applied BSD from Sonax a couple of weeks after PNS...the car looks better and better...seems like the black gets "deeper"!

Of course there are other products out there but my advice is to take a look as PNS.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

I know we're discussing sealants but let me throw in my current experience with GTechniq CSL+EVO. I have gone through 4 previous coatings and every one suffered water spotting that frustrated me. CSL+EVO has been the first to behave spot free after rain and sprinkler hits.

My DD is black and we've been pounded with rain lately here in Tampa.

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rain won’t normally leave hard water spots unless you have a lot of pollutants in the air. A quick wipe off with a rinseless wash should remove rainwater spotting. Spotting caused by city water is a different story based on the total dissolved solids (TDS). The minerals in the water dry on the paint and, in my experience, will have to be buffed off. I’ve tried a few different “water spot removers” and I’ve had no luck with any of them.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Rain won’t normally leave hard water spots unless you have a lot of pollutants in the air. A quick wipe off with a rinseless wash should remove rainwater spotting. Spotting caused by city water is a different story based on the total dissolved solids (TDS). The minerals in the water dry on the paint and, in my experience, will have to be buffed off. I’ve tried a few different “water spot removers” and I’ve had no luck with any of them.
    wipe off a dirty car could cause scratching. if I breath near my car I get a scratch. its a black car never again. never.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tim500 View Post
    I was able to buff out water spots off my car, most likely caused by sprinklers. I live in southern Florida and it constantly rains here. Should I be in panic every time it rains which is every day in the afternoon? Do I need to wash the car every time it rains? Which would be every day. I spend a lot of money on blackfire products I don't want my paint damaged from water or rain. What is the correct approach for a daily driver black car in very hot southern Florida?
    What's the Last Step Product aka LSP that's on your car now? Is is a wax/sealant/coating and if so what specific product?

Long story short, find yourself a good details spray or drying aid and use it. I find with my black vehicles owned now and in the past, the best protection against spots on a coating are to use a good detail spray / drying aid meant for coatings but the same holds true for sealed vehicles. These sprays go a long way to helping prevent exactly what you're experiencing here which isn't uncommon. Far more common when vehicles are hit with municipal water vs rain water.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tim500 View Post
    So true! This is my last black car.
    Amen to that! Never again.
    2017 Phantom Black Metallic Chevy SS, automatic, skylight, plus unused wheel in the boot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast