autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trim Restore on 14 year old Xterra

I’m planning to try and bring life back to an older Nissan Xterra. The massive amount of textured trim was a dark dark grey when new, but there is a few small areas of black. Seems like a lot of folks highly recommend Solution Finish for heavily weathered and faded trim. Have a few questions on my plan of attack

where the large front and rear bumpers are basically all textured plastic, how much solution finish is needed? Seems like a little goes a long way, but there’s a massive amount of plastic trim on these SUV’s. Where it has a small amount of black trim also, I’m thinking I could just buy black and apply it to all trim where the original grey was very dark, dark grey anyway. Any idea what using Black SF over grey trim looks like? The paint is dark grey, so I don’t care if the trim was black or dark grey.

second question, the roof rack/box is also textured grey and faded. It has Nissan white lettering. I’m thinking I cannot just smear Solution Finish over it, so maybe removing it all together is easiest and best, but then under the lettering is likely a different stage of fade/weathering. Suggestions!

last, i was going to apply DLUX over it, but read it won’t take. However I seem to recall reading if I wait a month after applying Solution Finish, DLUX would take and perform fairly well. Any benefits of applying a coating after allowing a Period for Solution Finish to cure and start deteriorating?

2. Likes astro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trim Restore on 14 year old Xterra

I did an FJ with the small bottle of SF and still had some left over. It does go a long way.

In my experience I would just use a trim protectant over SF rather than a coating. I tried a coating over SF and wasn’t that impressed. Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant is just as effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Clean the heck out of the trim first. Prep-Sol with a stiff brush works well. Maybe go over it twice since it’s so old. The cleaner it is the less chance of splotches/unevenness will occur.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been using the left over ceramic coating from the the 30 or 50 mls really any coating with exception to csl and don’t notice a difference between DLUx and 3.0 so really any ceramic works good for me.sometimes I do solutions first but then it turns into a big hassle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    don’t notice a difference between DLUx and 3.0 so really any ceramic works good for me.sometimes I do solutions first but then it turns into a big hassle
    I’m not sure I follow? Are you saying you put SF on after DLUX or 3.0? If you do it first it turns into a hassle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarkmac View Post
    I’m planning to try and bring life back to an older Nissan Xterra. The massive amount of textured trim was a dark dark grey when new, but there is a few small areas of black. Seems like a lot of folks highly recommend Solution Finish for heavily weathered and faded trim. Have a few questions on my plan of attack

where the large front and rear bumpers are basically all textured plastic, how much solution finish is needed? Seems like a little goes a long way, but there’s a massive amount of plastic trim on these SUV’s. Where it has a small amount of black trim also, I’m thinking I could just buy black and apply it to all trim where the original grey was very dark, dark grey anyway. Any idea what using Black SF over grey trim looks like? The paint is dark grey, so I don’t care if the trim was black or dark grey.

second question, the roof rack/box is also textured grey and faded. It has Nissan white lettering. I’m thinking I cannot just smear Solution Finish over it, so maybe removing it all together is easiest and best, but then under the lettering is likely a different stage of fade/weathering. Suggestions!

last, i was going to apply DLUX over it, but read it won’t take. However I seem to recall reading if I wait a month after applying Solution Finish, DLUX would take and perform fairly well. Any benefits of applying a coating after allowing a Period for Solution Finish to cure and start deteriorating?
    If the trim is very bad and gray, then use Solution Finish. Works great. Wait 2 washes then seal it up with a coating like GYEON's Q2 TRIM and be done with it for a long while.

If the trim is just meh and not BADLY faded then try simple test spot with Q2 TRIM. It will re-darken and seal up trim that's not old faded and graying out badly. You'll be surprised.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your results.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

If I use black SF over very faded Grey, will it cause poor results? I didn’t see the one ounce grey bottle for sale and it seems like that would be more than enough to try on the one vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

If I use black SF over very faded Grey, will it cause poor results? I didn’t see the one ounce grey bottle for sale and it seems like that would be more than enough to try on the one vehicle.
    Not sure I follow you. Yes, SF is intended to re-color very faded grey trim. It will product great results. Just make sure you remove any old sealants or back to black, etc. that you have on them. See the image posted in the store's site for an example. Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like you can only buy one ounce of SF in black. I’m wondering if there is any issue using the Black SF over faded grey trim. Or do I need to buy the large 12 ounce bottle of grey?

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like you can only buy one ounce of SF in black. I’m wondering if there is any issue using the Black SF over faded grey trim. Or do I need to buy the large 12 ounce bottle of grey?
    The important thing is to use the correct color Solution Finish to match the original color of the plastic trim. Either 1 will work over faded gray trim, but if the original color of the trim is gray then the black Solution Finish isn’t what you want to use.

This is Solution Grey used on gray trim.

It’s pretty rare to find a vehicle that came with gray plastic trim, but this Toyota 4 Runner fit the bill.

12. Likes ssnimrod liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast