autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Long Term Wear of Ceramic Coatings?

Newbie, but just finish my first ceramic coating job. Three coats Gyeon Mohs followed by one coat of Skin. Came out great and very easy to apply for a beginner. One thing that I never see mentioned in the forums is the long term degradation of the ceramic and how it effects appearance. I mean, over a period of years, left untreated, the ceramic coating is going to wear off. But how does this process occur? Is it molecule by molecule until its there is nothing left? Does it ever chip or peel or discolor with age. Does the surface become blotchy, where there is some coating left and spots where no coating remains.

Also, what if in the future I want to try a newer and better product on my ceramic coated car and I want to remove the coating. Can it be chemically removed, or do you have to abrasively remove it. Or do you leave what remains and go over it. Is the first ceramic coating a marriage until death do you part?

Any comments appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Long Term Wear of Ceramic Coatings?

First, the easy question. After a couple of years when you want to try something new, you will need to mechanically remove it with a polisher. The coatings are so durable, even after several years, I doubt you could effectively remove them with any sort of chemical. Besides, after a couple year you'll want to remove any imbedded grime and correct minor swirls and marring to restore the shine. After polishing a car after 2 years of a coating I was quite suprised at the change.

Now for your first question. In my experience, the change over time is really subtle. It isn't splotchy and the coating doesn't flake, crack, or crumble in any manner. Depending on how you've cared for the vehicle it may still look pretty good and water behavior may still be noticeable. However, it seems to lack that brilliant shine and certain "pop" from when the coating was new. Most of this is probably a result of years worth of life slowly working against the coating and the paint. Despite all this, it may still look better than many daily drivers you see on the road.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

I wrote this last week...

How long will a ceramic coating last on my car?

How long ANYTHING lasts always comes down to how it’s “touched”.

Yeah - it’s really that simple.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that's re-assuring. That's what I was hoping for. Although, a chemical dissolver by the manufacturer which is safe would be a futuristic concept.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another great post Mike wrote about dealing with coatings in the long term.

The case against multi-year ceramic paint coatings - Road Grime = Surface Staining Daily Drivers by Mike Phillips
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by haze10 View Post
    Newbie, but just finish my first ceramic coating job. Three coats Gyeon Mohs followed by one coat of Skin. Came out great and very easy to apply for a beginner. One thing that I never see mentioned in the forums is the long term degradation of the ceramic and how it effects appearance. I mean, over a period of years, left untreated, the ceramic coating is going to wear off. But how does this process occur? Is it molecule by molecule until its there is nothing left? Does it ever chip or peel or discolor with age. Does the surface become blotchy, where there is some coating left and spots where no coating remains.

Also, what if in the future I want to try a newer and better product on my ceramic coated car and I want to remove the coating. Can it be chemically removed, or do you have to abrasively remove it. Or do you leave what remains and go over it. Is the first ceramic coating a marriage until death do you part?

Any comments appreciated.
    Coatings fade away like a wax or sealant. The layer is not thick enough for it to chip.

I documented my experience with Gyeon Syncro in this thread. Was a bit of a bummer how soon Skin faded away. Let us know how it holds up on yours.

2015 Impala with Gyeon Syncro (MOHS + Skin)

Coatings are not that tough. They are still a thin layer relatively speaking. An abrasive polish is going to remove it.

If you want to keep your coating refreshed then a decon wash is recommended to keep the surface as contaminant free as possible. Some like to use a maintenance product to "refresh" the coating.

7. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is chemicals that desolves a ceramic coating. The downside is that while you remove the coating you also damage the clearcoat. So a polishing is needed to be done to get the finish up on your clearcoat. And so the chemical stripping of the coating is redundant. Easier and way safer to polishing to begin with.

The Syncro you have used is a little mystery to me. As the Skin part is not so durable as the Mohs part. So the word from Mike Phillips as to be gently touch your paint when you washing is extremly important to get the most out of the Skin top coating. When it wears down to the point that a topper of a spray product is a benefit to the water behavior and self cleaning ability from the coating. I would start useing a topper at that point. Gyeon Cure is a good product for this. And you have Gyeon Bathe+ car soap and Gyeon Wet Coat. Or the more stout ones as Gyeon Booster and Gyeon CanCoat is an option if the coating holds up with very little contaminants. That's why Guz mentions the need to be staying ahead with decon washes every 6 months or so or when you see the water behavior goes down on some parts you revive it through cleaning it up thoroughly.

Post Thanks / Like

This is awesome. I’ve mentioned it before but nobody seemed interested. Degradation of anything starts after day 1. So, in my opinion/experience, you will be living with a coating that is degrading and degrading, significantly on lower panels - and less elsewhere for a very long time if you believe the manufacturers’ claims.

The industry responds by selling “toppers”, “maintenance products”, & special soaps for these coatings. They are just Band Aids to temporarily make the coating bead like new to justify the multi year claim of longevity.

In reality, if you simply skipped the whole coating & applied some quick and durable spray LSP product every other wash or so you would get better results; faster - for cheaper and less headaches.

10. Likes DetailZeus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The hope is with a coating is that it protects the paint better than a spray LSP by being harder. Minor scratches and marring hit the coating and not your clear coat thus saving the clear coat for years to come. When you polish off the coating you are not polishing off the super thin clear coat. Coatings are all about saving your clear coat and vehicle manufacturers keep cutting costs and use less and less clear coat than ever (Mazda I’m talking about you). If you plan on keeping your vehicle for a long time then coating it would be the thing to do, but if you trade quickly or lease I wouldn’t worry about saving the clear coat and use an old fashioned sealant or wax or one of the many SiO2 containing spray on products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    This is awesome. I’ve mentioned it before but nobody seemed interested. Degradation of anything starts after day 1. So, in my opinion/experience, you will be living with a coating that is degrading and degrading, significantly on lower panels - and less elsewhere for a very long time if you believe the manufacturers’ claims.

The industry responds by selling “toppers”, “maintenance products”, & special soaps for these coatings. They are just Band Aids to temporarily make the coating bead like new to justify the multi year claim of longevity.

In reality, if you simply skipped the whole coating & applied some quick and durable spray LSP product every other wash or so you would get better results; faster - for cheaper and less headaches.
    I am going to have to counter with you that in my area we see the upper surfaces fail rather than the lower panels. So it is going to vary by environment.

13. Likes BudgetPlan1, Coleroad, Stradbash liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast