autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Long Term Wear of Ceramic Coatings?

Based on the info above, So what do you guys say about the thousands that detailers charge to apply the ceramic coatings?

Post Thanks / Like

Long Term Wear of Ceramic Coatings?

Quote Originally Posted by mckobe View Post
    Based on the info above, So what do you guys say about the thousands that detailers charge to apply the ceramic coatings?
    A good, high-quality, pro-only ceramic coating will provide years of protection regardless of maintenance.

Maintenance ensures the longevity of the coating is pushed as far to its maximum as possible but as mentioned above, it is continually degrading.

If you live in a location where the environment causes more than typical clear coat/paint damage, a ceramic coating will go a long way to protecting the paint from some of the elements so you can care about and maintain it less.

Regardless of environment you live, regular maintenance will vastly outperform any protection you apply with the exception of PPF.

So all it comes down to is your commitment to maintaining the exterior of your vehicle using proper, scratch-free wash techniques and occasional decontamination:

Wash your car every 3 months plus - Ceramic
    Wash your car every 3 weeks - synthetic paint sealant
    Wash your car every 3 days - carnauba wax

Of course, this is a very simplified summary and environmental factors as well as care factors will create variables that alter this, but it aims to show that the level of protection is related to the level of care you intend to invest.

Ergo, If you wash your car every 3 days, garage it and live in a mild climate, away from the sea, little pollen and few birds etc. a ceramic coating is a waste of money.

Post Thanks / Like

As unscientific as it may sound, sometimes ya just 'know' that a coating has reached the end of its functional life.

After you've tried the typical rejuvenation routines and it's still 'not right' then it's time for it to go. Toppers/boosters are less effective and for shorter periods of time, bird bombs and other things take a bit more elbow grease to remove if they completely remove at all and it just becomes tougher to keep the car looking to ones personal level of 'goodness'.

I notice it when it takes more work/attention to maintain that level of 'goodness' that was more easily reached during the coatings prime. They may still bead nicely but sheeting drops off noticeably.

The same has held true for me on both vehicles that received regular maintenance as well as those that receive relatively none...the goodness just starts to fade away, obviously to varying degrees and expectations of 'goodness' but still essentially the same process. It just gets tired after a while...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by haze10 View Post
    Newbie, but just finish my first ceramic coating job. Three coats Gyeon Mohs followed by one coat of Skin. Came out great and very easy to apply for a beginner. One thing that I never see mentioned in the forums is the long term degradation of the ceramic and how it effects appearance. I mean, over a period of years, left untreated, the ceramic coating is going to wear off. But how does this process occur? Is it molecule by molecule until its there is nothing left? Does it ever chip or peel or discolor with age. Does the surface become blotchy, where there is some coating left and spots where no coating remains.

Also, what if in the future I want to try a newer and better product on my ceramic coated car and I want to remove the coating. Can it be chemically removed, or do you have to abrasively remove it. Or do you leave what remains and go over it. Is the first ceramic coating a marriage until death do you part?
    Chances are you'll get the urge to re-do the coating before it actually fails. Great job with the Syncro Product. I love it and have used it many many times including on my wife's Lincoln. Durability is pretty high against all but the strongest APC's so do not use them on lower panels or wheels as it will damage the coating. Been there done that. Overall though skin is holding up well as is the underlying Mohs on my wife's car and it's been through 19k miles of Ohio winter and summer. IMO the hotter more sun intense west coat climates seem to, according to users/reviews here, degrade it more so than here.

I won't repeat the points already made but good luck, enjoy it and keep learning and practicing on other vehicles. It's a fun hobby.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, nobody has proved any coating (or any LSP for that matter) protects any vehicle paint surface from degradation in the long run.

Even if it sticks to your paint and sheds water well, that still is not proof of any coating (or LSP) extending the life of your paint. Are any aftermarket paint or new vehicle manufacturers recommending coatings as protectants?

M Phillips says find something you like and use it often (paraphrasing). That seems like very good advice and will like make a bigger impact IMHO for the long haul.

6. Likes mckobe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All dependant on the coating itself..
    Some are low solids which are typically consumer coatings which can be polished off.

Some are high solids which are usually reserved as certified installer only and need to be wetsanded off..

This is not always the case though

Also regarding 2 part coatings..the topcoat (hydrophobics layer) depending on region will be dead in a year or two and will likely need relayered, while the base coat is perfectly intact

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    A good, high-quality, pro-only ceramic coating will provide years of protection regardless of maintenance.

Maintenance ensures the longevity of the coating is pushed as far to its maximum as possible but as mentioned above, it is continually degrading.

If you live in a location where the environment causes more than typical clear coat/paint damage, a ceramic coating will go a long way to protecting the paint from some of the elements so you can care about and maintain it less.

Regardless of environment you live, regular maintenance will vastly outperform any protection you apply with the exception of PPF.

So all it comes down to is your commitment to maintaining the exterior of your vehicle using proper, scratch-free wash techniques and occasional decontamination:

Wash your car every 3 months plus - Ceramic
    Wash your car every 3 weeks - synthetic paint sealant
    Wash your car every 3 days - carnauba wax

Of course, this is a very simplified summary and environmental factors as well as care factors will create variables that alter this, but it aims to show that the level of protection is related to the level of care you intend to invest.

Ergo, If you wash your car every 3 days, garage it and live in a mild climate, away from the sea, little pollen and few birds etc. a ceramic coating is a waste of money.
    Help me understand the wash cycle that you mentioned. Are you saying that if I wash my car every 3 days, then carnauba wax is an ideal protection? In contrast, it I neglect car washes, then stick with ceramic coating? Pardon my ignorance since I'm new to this realm and have limited experience with carnauba wax, nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    To be fair, nobody has proved any coating (or any LSP for that matter) protects any vehicle paint surface from degradation in the long run.

Even if it sticks to your paint and sheds water well, that still is not proof of any coating (or LSP) extending the life of your paint. Are any aftermarket paint or new vehicle manufacturers recommending coatings as protectants?

M Phillips says find something you like and use it often (paraphrasing). That seems like very good advice and will like make a bigger impact IMHO for the long haul.
    Agreed.
    Leave any coated vehicle to sit in the blazing Arizona, or Florida Sun, or other such similar climes worldwide 24/7. I'm sure heat and UV will as well take its toll no matter what. A garage kept vehicle will of course see less wear and tear than any that sits outside.

I agree with basically all that has been said so far.

That over time in most normal situations you'll note swirling occurring, a lessening of gloss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mpulsiv View Post
    Help me understand the wash cycle that you mentioned. Are you saying that if I wash my car every 3 days, then carnauba wax is an ideal protection? In contrast, it I neglect car washes, then stick with ceramic coating? Pardon my ignorance since I'm new to this realm and have limited experience with carnauba wax, nothing else.
    Don't mind that post. Stick with your normal wash routine and you will be fine. Any LSP will perform at its max potential with regular washing.

11. Likes AutowerxDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mpulsiv View Post
    The post I replied to was specifically about detailers who charge thousands being a waste of money.

If you wash your vehicle properly every 3 days, then a ceramic coating is unnecessary and a spray wax or carnauba wax would be a better choice.

In contrast, if your vehicle lives outside and rarely sees a shampoo, then a ceramic coating is a worthy investment to help protect the paint from degradation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast