autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Silverado

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Black Silverado

Hi everybody.
    Just getting ready to do some paint correction on a friend's Silverado. My first time for a black vehicle. It's pretty much swirled out.

Here is what I'm planning.
    1. Wash
    2. Chemical decon
    3. Clay if necessary

I wasn't sure what would be the best combination for the correction. I have a HF da with LC backing plate and full range of 5.5 in. LC CCS pads. For compound I have Meguiars ultimate compound and ultimate polish. Input and suggestions appreciated. -Weston

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Silverado

Wash, clay, decon if necessary. As for your compound and polish, should be fine. I am not too familiar with that product, but my assumption its a compound/polish. Dig LC CCS Pads. Use the Orange for compounding and the White pads for polishing. The only suggestion I can give you is HAVE FUN and take your time! Pictures when you are done please! Your LSP of choice is up to you! I like wax. But Sealant, Wax or Ceramic Coating is fine.

KEEP ON ROCKING!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

3. Likes astro liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I'd go with what Kamakaz1961

Do a Test Spot - it's possible with a polishing pad the Ultimate Polish "might" remove the swirls to your satisfaction.

A test will tell you real fast on black paint. If not then you will have to compound.

Also - I type about this a lot - more pads are better. For a large truck, do a panel or two and then switch pads.

5. Thanks Kamakaz1961 thanked for this post
    Likes astro, Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Wash, clay, decon if necessary. As for your compound and polish, should be fine. I am not too familiar with that product, but my assumption its a compound/polish. Dig LC CCS Pads. Use the Orange for compounding and the White pads for polishing. The only suggestion I can give you is HAVE FUN and take your time! Pictures when you are done please! Your LSP of choice is up to you! I like wax. But Sealant, Wax or Ceramic Coating is fine.

KEEP ON ROCKING!
    Could he also polish with the orange?

Post Thanks / Like

You might be able to. Depends on product and maybe the paint.

I love Menzerna HC400 and SF3800 on black. Love it. Also, the new M110 and M210 work well for me. Orange and white LC Flats on both.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

This was just done with M210 and LC white. Wasn't quite as bad as that one but still turned out pretty good.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wsmartin288 View Post
    Hi everybody.
    Just getting ready to do some paint correction on a friend's Silverado. My first time for a black vehicle. It's pretty much swirled out.

Here is what I'm planning.
    1. Wash
    2. Chemical decon
    3. Clay if necessary

I wasn't sure what would be the best combination for the correction. I have a HF da with LC backing plate and full range of 5.5 in. LC CCS pads. For compound I have Meguiars ultimate compound and ultimate polish. Input and suggestions appreciated. -Weston

My two cents:

You're a good friend, especially if it's at a discount/free

Definitely clay it. Not only for the sake of the paint when polishing but your pads. Key to any detail is the prep and you want that finish contaminant free and smooth as glass. No tar, bugs, dirt, etc. Especially on black. Most of all as noted, it will fubar up your pads and you don't want all that in them to clean out and perhaps not fully thus impacting their life and the next vehicle's finish.

In terms of the HF and pads, it wilo work but it's going to be a bear. I'm spoiled with forced driven machines but thankfully you have mostly flat surfaces. The roof will be a bit of a challenge the way it's structured.

In terms of product, U.C. will work but it will take a bit longer than a more aggressive approach. IMO U.Polish will work to lesson the swirls but I doubt it will fully correct it. It's all a matter of how much correction he's looking to get and how much time you want to take. on the HF, I'd jump to a microfiber pad and an aggressive compound, get out all the ugliest stuff and then from there it's simply a matter of a quick polish or better yet, an AIO on a corresponding pad and you're done.

The results should be outstanding though. Here's a Pure Black Callaway Version I did a couple weeks back. A HD Ford in Pure Black

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing the final product.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. Finally found time to start on the truck today. First thorough wash and clay.
    Now for some pictures of a test spot.

Here is before any correction.

Here is after Meg's UC on orange LC CCS pad.

Followed up with Meg's UP on blue LC CCS.

I know my light is nothing great but I'm pretty happy with how it's coming out.

For LSP I was thinking either Klasse hgsg or Collinite #845. Any thoughts on which of these is better or more durable? -Weston

Sent from my PH-1 using TapaTalk

11. Likes Goonie75, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great

Post Thanks / Like

Major difference!
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast