autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rubber trim scratch Ford Mustang?

Hello Everyone! How can I remove a scratch from rubber trim on a 2017 Ford Mustang?
    Rubber trim scratch Ford Mustang?-picture-jpg

Mike Phillips

Re: Rubber trim scratch Ford Mustang?

Since this is your first post to the forum,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Here's the full size version of your pictures

I don't really see the scratch?

3. Likes OscarS550 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Good timing....

We had another new member post a similar type question and I answered him in detail. The answer I shared with him also applies to trying to fix this type of material.

Here's the other thread,

Scratches on brushed metal

Here's what I posted.

Hmmm..... I've answered this question a LOT I my life. So much so that I wrote an article for it back in July of 2005. Here's the link,

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

Then after coming to Autogeek from Meguiar's I re-wrote it, I guess you could say I plagerized myself, so I could have the same info her on AGO

From 2016

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

Some materials and/or surface coatings don't lend themselves well to being abraded with the end-result looking good or looking like the original appearance -Mike Phillips

I list examples of things people want to remove scratches out of in both articles, here's the list,

Note the items I made BOLD

* Glass?
    * Clear plastics like a headlight lens, radio face plate, dash gages, display screens?
    * Chrome, like a chrome wheel?
    * Paint?
    * Interior plastics like a plastic door sill or plastic around the console?
    * Stainless steel, like a stainless steel door sill?
    * Aluminum?
    * Rubber?
    * Pebble textured plastic like trim components?
    * Leather - leather seats, leather dashes, leather consoles etc.

So yeah.... been answering this question for a long time.

5. Thanks Kamakaz1961 thanked for this post
    Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Just to add....

The way you remove a scratch is you somehow abrade the surrounding area until the highest points of the surface level are equal with the lowest depths of the defects or scratches you're trying to remove.

And rubber doesn't really like to be abraded with the end results looking good or factory.

Maybe others have a method that works?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Rubber trim scratch Ford Mustang?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Since this is your first post to the forum,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Here's the full size version of your pictures

I don't really see the scratch?

Thank you. Not how I wanted my first post to be (trying to repair something lol). I outlined the scratch in the picture below

Rubber trim scratch Ford Mustang?-picture_li-jpg

Mike Phillips

Thanks - now I can see it,

About the most I would do is to get a good trim dressing and a microfiber applicator pad and rub the scratch in the direction of the length of the scratch.

This won't remove it but it might make it less noticeable.

Post Thanks / Like

This is only if you have something like that rubber trim to test it out on. But something like a scratch mark on a tire you can use denutured alcohol and a fine grit scotch pad and gently rubbing it. Why I say to test it out on something else like the rubber trim you have. Is that denatured alcohol is melting the rubber while you do this. So it's important to have the right grit on the thing you rubbing it with. This is a high risk method that maybe not is worth it. But if you are set on to replace the rubber trim you could test it out. And if you can live with the scratch I would go with what Mike Phillips says and mask it as good as possible.

And if you do this denatured alcohol method. Have a lot of water and a car soap solution and wash directly after it's done and rinse thoroughly. Otherwise it's possible it will continue to melt the rubber after you are done. This is a hardcore solution and done on your own risk.

Another thought to knock the scratch down to get less visible. Is to use a plastic polish or a polish that is easly cleaned off the rubber trim and a q-tip to polishing the edges of the scratch with. This would be a much safer method than the denatured alcohol one. And once again it's a thing to do only if you are ready to replace the rubber trim if it goes sideways. Also you work on a little section at a time to have a better control over it. And look at how it goes and not just rubb it excessivly. A gentle approach. The problem is if it change the color finish on the rubber trim and you have that to sort out instead. That's why I would only think of doing any this if otherwise I would replace it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

update: Ended up using some plastiX on a microfiber and it is less noticeable now. I Will just need to keep it dressed from now on to keep it hidden. Thanks guys!

11. Likes SWETM liked this post