autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

When to upsell and when to do the right thing?

Hello all!

I detailed this Lexus for my mechanic and biggest referral source. He told me to do what ever it needed and to make it look as nice as possible, even paint correction.

I asked him how he cleaned the car, car wash, and if it slept outside, it does. I told him the car can use a polish, but since it is constantly in a car wash and sleeps outside, I would just wax to protect the clearcoat it has versus removing clearcoat to only be scratched again. He said he wants to keep it long term so he said he trusted my advice and loved the final result, 845 with high gloss on top.

I know I had the opportunity to upsell him and do a full blown paint correction, the car was swirled out, but did I do the right thing for the client? I always struggle with upselling customers that I know take their cars through tunnel washes, to me it is a waste of product and time, what do yall think?

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

2. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When to upsell and when to do the right thing?

My motto it’s always try to do what’s right and the rest will fall into place. I guarantee not correcting his car will get you even more business from him. You built trust which builds your business.

Next time though you could tell him bout process of paint correction, benefits and what’s needed to take care of and give him an option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes DETAILROOKIE, TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good idea, thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    Hello all!

I detailed this Lexus for my mechanic and biggest referral source. He told me to do what ever it needed and to make it look as nice as possible, even paint correction.

I asked him how he cleaned the car, car wash, and if it slept outside, it does. I told him the car can use a polish, but since it is constantly in a car wash and sleeps outside, I would just wax to protect the clearcoat it has versus removing clearcoat to only be scratched again. He said he wants to keep it long term so he said he trusted my advice and loved the final result, 845 with high gloss on top.

I know I had the opportunity to upsell him and do a full blown paint correction, the car was swirled out, but did I do the right thing for the client? I always struggle with upselling customers that I know take their cars through tunnel washes, to me it is a waste of product and time, what do yall think?

Thank you in advance!

Good work. IMO it's the customer that decides despite ones best advice or intentions.

If they are going to continue to take it through washes that touch the paint and not just spray stuff, then it sounds like it makes no sense to fully go after it. Perhaps he will return for a yearly light polish. That or change how he washes it. When to upsell and when to do the right thing?

Sounds like you made the right call. And it's good Karma!

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

7. Thanks DETAILROOKIE thanked for this post
    Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes it depends on the cost to the customer. You could have done a one step with an AOI and got good results. I don’t know how much you charge for a one step so it’s difficult to say if you did him right or not. I have a hard time putting wax over swirls and calling it a detail.

This guy is your biggest source of referrals? I would have made it shine like a diamond in a goats butt for half price. If he is throwing business your way give up a little. He could show his car as proof of how good you are and maybe you would have gotten more referrals for an hours more work.

9. Thanks DETAILROOKIE thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for you response.

I agree, I hated throwing wax on a swirled out car, but it is going to rain here Friday and it would be in the car wash getting swirled out again on Saturday, he owns a tunnel wash attached to his mechanic shop, so it is in there everytime it gets dirty unfortunately. I typically use HD speed for jobs like this, but do you think the fillers would have been washed away with the first wash? Would the amount of clear coat removed by the AIO made a big impact on the clear coats longevity? I'm not sure how much clear it removes and how much of the correction is just plain filler.

I am doing his Ram truck in a couple weeks and that truck is constantly parked at the shop, but is also maintained by tunnel washes. I was thinking about using HD Speed on that.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like you did the right thing. Could you have made more money? Of course, but you approached the situation by using your head and thinking of the customer needs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

12. Likes DETAILROOKIE, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you do an AIO polish with a polishing pad or finishing pad you don't abrade that much of the clearcoat if done twice or once a year. And if the clearcoat is very soft a finishing pad and adjust with less passes per sections and it's good also. The benefit with doing this is that you abrade of the edges of the swirls and scratches so they gets less visible. And gets the gloss up too. Also you clean the paint so the contaminants that the decon wash and claying don't remove gets polished off. Which also is a benefit when you polishing the paint. You can use a finishing polish too if you want as it's gets you there also.

But as of now you did the right thing vs a heavy cutting the paint. You can not be doing a lot of those without be thinning the clearcoat. If his car wash is not scratching it deep. Then you can be abrading the clearcoat down just a little and get great results. So much depending on the aggressiveness of the car wash too. And how easy it's to remove the damage it does.

Maybe get him to invest in a touchless wash instead LOL.

14. Thanks DETAILROOKIE thanked for this post
    Likes TTQ B4U, DETAILROOKIE, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You did the right thing. No sense in doing a full paint correction if he is just going through car washes again afterwards.

In my offering it's called a basic clean and protect in which I hit the vehicle with an all-in-one on a light polishing pad to knock down the appearance of imperfections but it is not a paint correction.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

16. Thanks DETAILROOKIE thanked for this post
    Likes DETAILROOKIE, Paul A., SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the responses!

TTQ, that's a great idea, just to offer a basic wash and protect option.

SWETM, I keep telling him to go touchless and his reply is always "this wash helps keep you in business." Lol no argument there.

18. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast