autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Tips for Honeycomb Grills ?

Use a spray version such as Adam's in and out or Megs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Likes MasterBlasterII liked this post
    Mike Phillips

More....

For dressing and protecting, here's the lazy man's method. I'm not a fan of this method but it is quick and easy. Also comparably cheap.

From the second post in this thread...

Review: BLACKFIRE Trim & Tire Protectant Aerosol

Exterior Trim

Some exterior trim is easy to dress because it's easy to get to and somehow wipe a trim dressing on with some type of simple applicator pad.

BUT sometimes some exterior trim is a real pain in the rear to dress due to the complicated and/or intricate design. Such is the case with a lot of car grills. They usually have some form of rectangular or honeycomb design that you can't easily get an hand applicator into thus you can't dress the trim by hand. That's where an aerosol version of a trim dressing comes in handy.

Here's a great example of trim that's hard to dress the traditional methods of hand-wiping...

BEFORE

Here's how the plastic grill looks after washing the car. It's dull and lifeless. With time, if nothing is done it will oxidize and turn white. Once an intricate design grill like this turns white with oxidization it's pretty much game-over. So my best tip is to start treating your plastic grill trim as soon as you buy your car. If you always "do something" to it.... it will always look new. It's when you neglected exterior plastic trim over time that it goes down hill.

Now this is easy-peasy....

Just spray the BLACKFIRE Trim and Tire Protectant into the grill and do it from a couple of different angles to fully coat all of the plastic.

Here's a half-n-half shot...
    The left side has been treated and the right side is how it started out....

Here I've sprayed a little further....

Pretty easy to see the dull plastic portions of the grill that I have not applied the protectant.

Finishing the job....

Technique Tip
    Use compressed air to blow the dressing completely throughout the grill area. For this I like to use the Metro-Vac Sidekick.

Technique Tip

To REALLY push the BLACKFIRE Trim & Tire Protectant into all the nooks and crannies of a grill I like to use a RaggTopp Haartz Convertible Top Brush.

After treating the grill use a clean, dry microfiber towel to wipe off any excess from surrounding paint.

BLACKFIRE Trim & Tire Protectant is the fastest, easiest way to treat and protect plastic grills or any intricate, hard to detail plastic surfaces.

Review
    Without investing a ton of time to use a non-aerosol product, I can't think of a faster or easier way to make a plastic grill look sharp and new. If your car's plastic grill looks dull and ugly then get a can of BLACKFIRE Trim & Tire Protectant and restore the new-car look in minutes.

4. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate the grills on some of the new Lexus'. You can waste an hour or two on those things

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post

•Get a kit that’s not only compact (‘scuse
    the pun); but also one that you both can
    learn to enjoy.
    -Luminess Air Basic Airbrush Spray System:

Bob

If I got one of those Luminess airbrushes it might turn in to something like that old Reese's commercial, ie. "You got chocolate in my peanut butter. No, you got peanut butter in my chocolate."

"Your leftover foundation got in my trim protectant."

"No, YOUR leftover trim protectant got in MY foundation. So now you can't use the airbrush anymore !"

I suppose I could be proactive and buy (2) Luminesses ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    More....

After treating the grill use a clean, dry microfiber towel to wipe off any excess from surrounding paint.

So just wiping off the excess trim protectant from the paint with a towel is adequate. That's good to know, I would have guessed it would make a smudgey/smeary mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Detailing Tips for Honeycomb Grills ?

Great topic and very timely as my buddy down in Tenn just got a Veloster N and not only does it have a honeycomb grill but its gloss black What I plan on telling him is this, spend the time cleaning it really good initially, probably going to have to do it 2 or 3 times. I would then wait till is dried completely....then, wet down the grill again and spray some 303 Touchless Sealant (or similar product) and coat it. After this, keep an eye on it and maybe just to be on the safe side or fanatical side some would say, re-apply the spray on, hose off product once a month, its not like your going to be using too much anyways, right!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    re-apply the spray on, hose off product once a month
    That's an interesting idea. But do these spray on/hose off products play nice with black plastic ? And do they offer much/any UV protection ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    That's an interesting idea. But do these spray on/hose off products play nice with black plastic ? And do they offer much/any UV protection ?
    I know they work great on painted plastic grills, no doubt and I've been using them for a couple years now on our rides and had ZERO issues. I'd say on my old Abarth it always helped keep the rubber at the bottom of the windows coated and protected, looking new always.Detailing Tips for Honeycomb Grills ?Detailing Tips for Honeycomb Grills ?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

10. Thanks 57Rambler thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12