autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Will my tires ever be clean

Decided to try out the Tuff Shine cleaner and Clearcoat on my wife`s 2018 Nissan Murano tires. The only issue everyone talked about was make sure the tire is clean. No problem I thought, since we purchased the vehicle in Oct. of last year the tires have only been washed. Never dressed or coated.

Well the tire has now been scrubbed ten times and the suds still are not white. I don`t want to take a chance and put on the Clearcoat and have it look like crap.

The tires are Continental Cross Sports. Any help would be great as I`m about to call it quits and go another route.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will my tires ever be clean

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas1 View Post
    Decided to try out the Tuff Shine cleaner and Clearcoat on my wife`s 2018 Nissan Murano tires. The only issue everyone talked about was make sure the tire is clean. No problem I thought, since we purchased the vehicle in Oct. of last year the tires have only been washed. Never dressed or coated.

Well the tire has now been scrubbed ten times and the suds still are not white. I don`t want to take a chance and put on the Clearcoat and have it look like crap.

The tires are Continental Cross Sports. Any help would be great as I`m about to call it quits and go another route.
    It would help to see pics of what the tires actually look like during this process..

I don’t have any experience with that cleaner or those tires, but if it’s anything like the other tire cleaners that prep for tire coatings I’ve found that it’s better to make the rounds of cleaning go for an extended period of time before rinsing... Meaning spray the cleaner onto a dry tire and go at it, then spray more cleaner onto the nasty dirty tire and continue scrubbing some more.. Then rinse, and repeat.

But until we see some pics we don’t know exactly what you’re dealing with.

Post Thanks / Like

What cleaner are you using on the tires? Make sure you are using a "tire cleaner"... generic APC is good for maintenance washes but it sounds like you need something more serious. Consider using a drill brush. When the tires are bad, I soak my tires in cleaner and grind away with a drill brush. It flings everywhere and makes a huge mess but always returns the tires to factory. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    What cleaner are you using on the tires? Make sure you are using a "tire cleaner"... generic APC is good for maintenance washes but it sounds like you need something more serious. Consider using a drill brush. When the tires are bad, I soak my tires in cleaner and grind away with a drill brush. It flings everywhere and makes a huge mess but always returns the tires to factory. Good luck.
    The Tuff Shine cleaner. I just can't imagine they would be that bad since they've never had any tire dressing on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Kerosene on a rag and wipe tires. Then follow up with the tuff shine cleaner. Should be good to go. I always do this method when I’m coating tires. Especially Conti’s and Michelin’s.

6. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... after cleaning the tires 10 times in succession, one would certainly think they are clean enough to dry and proceed to coating. I suppose it is possible that the issue is unique to Continental brand tires and the tuff shine cleaner formula. Don't know.

Regardless of the residual foam not being "white" after cleaning the tires multiple times, I would call it good and move forward. I've never used the Tuff Shine products (other than their tire brush), but when I clean my tires with McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator (with the intention of then using their tire coating) I further clean the dry tires with Griots Rubber Prep before proceeding to the last step. This has always worked well in prepping the tires for the coating.

Sorry, but I no longer see this product in the AG store so I can't give you a link. If it were me, I would do a couple of rounds of the Tuff Shine Cleaner then follow up with Griots Rubber Prep and then coat with the Tuff Shine coating.

YouTube
    Last edited by BadgerRivFan; 06-25-2019 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Added YouTube video
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

8. Thanks Vegas1 thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas1 View Post

Well the tire has now been scrubbed ten times and the suds still are not white.

Any help would be great as I`m about to call it quits and go another route.

I've used Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner a lot and I've also used the Tuf Shine Tire Coating a lot. I've never had a de-lamination problem but I am INCREDIBLY weary of the problem mostly because I don't what to be the guy that has to sit on his butt in front of someone else's tire trying to remove a coating that didn't take.

When I coated the tires on this 1971 Corvette, the tires were brand new, purchased from Coker Tires. T

Review: TUF SHINE Tire Clearcoat by Mike Phillips

here was a visual issue with the sidewall of the tires, they looked like they had checking. These were verified brand new. So I held off on coating them until the owner could talk to Firestone. Firestone looked at the pictures he took of the tire sidewall and assured him there was nothing wrong with the rubber. I machine scrubbed them 2 different times. The first time when I restored the original paint and then a second time after he spoke with Firestone.

When I did apply a coating I took the precautionary step of only coating ONE tires. I discussed with the owner and he agreed. We coated one tire and let a few weeks go by to see what, if anything, would happen.

Nothing happened.

The coated tire looked phenomenal. So about a month later, when our schedules aligned, I did a quickie machine scrub to the other 3 tires to make sure they were completely clean from any road grime, (it's a garage queen), and then coated them. Have not heard from him about the tires ever since.

I too have machine scrubbed tires multiple, multiple times and have not gotten to the point where I see a frothy white foam during scrubbing. I want to see it but sometimes it just doesn't happen. My guess is it has to do with the proprietary rubber blend different tire manufacturers use.

Here's what I would do if I were in your shoes - just coat one tire.

Watch it and see what happens over the course of a few weeks to a month. If the results look good and don't change - then do the other 3.

This Wednesday night, (tomorrow night), I'm going to machine scrub the tires on my car and the wife's car and test out the new PBL Tire Coating. I've always been happy with the Tuf Shine product and also the McKee's tire coating. Andre and Bobby did extensive testing with the new PBL tire coating and they know how much I like tire coatings. The told me the PBL version is NICE.

So we'll see.

10. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes BadgerRivFan, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I've used Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner a lot and I've also used the Tuf Shine Tire Coating a lot. I've never had a de-lamination problem but I am INCREDIBLY weary of the problem mostly because I don't what to be the guy that has to sit on his butt in front of someone else's tire trying to remove a coating that didn't take.

When I coated the tires on this 1971 Corvette, the tires were brand new, purchased from Coker Tires. T

Review: TUF SHINE Tire Clearcoat by Mike Phillips

here was a visual issue with the sidewall of the tires, they looked like they had checking. These were verified brand new. So I held off on coating them until the owner could talk to Firestone. Firestone looked at the pictures he took of the tire sidewall and assured him there was nothing wrong with the rubber. I machine scrubbed them 2 different times. The first time when I restored the original paint and then a second time after he spoke with Firestone.

When I did apply a coating I took the precautionary step of only coating ONE tires. I discussed with the owner and he agreed. We coated one tire and let a few weeks go by to see what, if anything, would happen.

Nothing happened.

The coated tire looked phenomenal. So about a month later, when our schedules aligned, I did a quickie machine scrub to the other 3 tires to make sure they were completely clean from any road grime, (it's a garage queen), and then coated them. Have not heard from him about the tires ever since.

I too have machine scrubbed tires multiple, multiple times and have not gotten to the point where I see a frothy white foam during scrubbing. I want to see it but sometimes it just doesn't happen. My guess is it has to do with the proprietary rubber blend different tire manufacturers use.

Here's what I would do if I were in your shoes - just coat one tire.

Watch it and see what happens over the course of a few weeks to a month. If the results look good and don't change - then do the other 3.

This Wednesday night, (tomorrow night), I'm going to machine scrub the tires on my car and the wife's car and test out the new PBL Tire Coating. I've always been happy with the Tuf Shine product and also the McKee's tire coating. Andre and Bobby did extensive testing with the new PBL tire coating and they know how much I like tire coatings. The told me the PBL version is NICE.

So we'll see.

Thanks for the advice Mike. The one tire only might be a plan. I really didn't want to be driving around with only one tire coated when I remembered it was my wife's vehicle. I'll just do a tire on the passengers side and she'll probably not even notice. (LOL)

Will not be able to give it a try till next week. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Solvants are the key when trying to clean a tire that won't get clean. Using mineral spirit or lacquer thinner usually does the trick on the first go. I have had 2 experiences where I wasn't enough, and in both cases the clients had put multiple layers of Armor All Gel Tire Shine. If the foam is turning brown, it's very unlikelly the problem is coming from a tire shine, so solvents should do the job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Solvants are the key when trying to clean a tire that won't get clean. Using mineral spirit or lacquer thinner usually does the trick on the first go. I have had 2 experiences where I wasn't enough, and in both cases the clients had put multiple layers of Armor All Gel Tire Shine.
    FYI: Armor All Tire Gel is a water based tire dressing.

14. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast