autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ATTN Dent Repair Business Owners. How can I hire dent repair employees or find business partners?

Please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong section. I honestly don't know where to post this.

I have a mobile car detailing business and I decided to add dent repair as one of our services, but I've ran into a problem. Leads are already coming in, but none of my techs know how to fix dents. Youtube tutorials don't really help, because its kinda weird to watch a YT tutorial on how to fix a dent in front a customer lol.

I've reached out to pretty much all of the mobile dent repair techs in my area without any luck. They do not respond. Or the one that did respond, isn't a punctual person and I feel this could be a problem down the road (so frankly I don't want to work with people like that).

So my question to you Mr. Dent Repair Business Owner, how did you initially go about hiring dent repair techs? Or what would you suggest I do?

Thanks in advance.

I am marketer by trade so if you have a business that needs marketing let me know. I will research your area and if the numbers make sense, maybe we can work together (I work on a split, no monthly fees or anything silly like that).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ATTN Dent Repair Business Owners. How can I hire dent repair employees or find business partners?

PDR is an art. No way anyone is going to learn proper PDR from a video. It takes years and specialized tools to be any good at PDR. I wouldn’t want any untrained person beating on my car with metal hammers. The guy I use has been flown all over the world to do dent repair. He is amazing. Got a dent out of a crease above the door, miraculously.

3. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, oneheadlite, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ATTN Dent Repair Business Owners. How can I hire dent repair employees or find business partners?

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    PDR is an art. No way anyone is going to learn proper PDR from a video. It takes years and specialized tools to be any good at PDR. I wouldn’t want any untrained person beating on my car with metal hammers. The guy I use has been flown all over the world to do dent repair. He is amazing. Got a dent out of a crease above the door, miraculously.
    I wholeheartedly agree with this.

The guy we use at my dealership is incredible. After talking with him, I asked how long he has been doing this PDR work.

He said "Since like 2000-2001". I then asked when he became "good at it" (My term). He told me "Good at it" isn't enough, you have to be "Great at it".

He then told me it took him around 4-5 years to feel comfortable enough to go out on his own.

PDR is more of a hybrid Art/Skill than anything.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PDR is big business and with cost of paint repairs no one is willing that I know to partner up. I've been using PDR since the early 90's and the things they can do with glue tab pullers is truly amazing. I'm no business major but I bet you'll get better results if they gave you leads instead.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7. Likes Bobh59 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's funny how everybody's PDR guy is "incredible" and "the best" haha. I hear that all the time.

You're either good at PDR or you're not. That's the way I see it. We had a good guy that made easy work of most dents but he moved to the other side of the country and now we can't find anybody decent. Alot of these guys are storm chasers. Go where the money is. That's why your guy has probably been "all over the world".

9. Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Run an add on craiglist
    Pick up a door at a junkyard, and have him work it. See what he brings to the table

Post Thanks / Like

research PDR TRAINING CENTERS near you...

Post Thanks / Like

For starters reaching out to them and telling them you want to get them more money than they are currently earning would be a good start.

If I was good at PDR, why on earth would I want to hang out at your shop and wait for customers just for you to get a cut of it?

13. Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To get the good ones you normally have to wait a few weeks to months for them to be free. Many PDRs guys just do dealership work. They stay busy. Dentsmart is a franchise that helped me find a guy I could trust.

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Many PDRs guys just do dealership work. They stay busy.

Boy, you aren't kidding. Some of these transport companies are horrible.

I see our PDR guy at my dealer about once a week.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast