autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Ran out of coating - pics included

So I decided to use/layer the Kamikaze coatings - Zipang, Miyabi and Zipang. All went well yesterday. I applied the first coat of Zipang and the second second layer - Miyabi and by day`s end applied the last coat of Zipang to 1/2 the car before calling it a day. Sooooooooo, I go to open the bottle of Zipang today and found that the remaining coating - certainly enough to complete the last coat, had solidified in the bottle rendering it useless. So I applied what was left of the Miyabi and found that it was only enough to finish one side of the car as a third coat, not enough to finish the top.

Question I`m deciding buying another bottle of Zipang (very costly) and finishing it up or leaving it alone with just the coatings as is and calling it a (long) day?

Edit - decided to buy another bottle of Zipang and wait for a clear couple of days and reapply.

As an aside, I used a good short napped MF to remove initial coating layer and followed with another clean one for final buffing. Today when I saw a little unevenness and slight ?smearing, I did a quick wipe with a damp GG MF towel and buff out with their PFM drying towel. No better towels around in my humble opinion.

Quick pics do not do the coatings justice though.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ran out of coating - pics included

Can’t see the photos. But this would not sit right with me if the coating hardened up that fast overnight considering the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Can’t see the photos. But this would not sit right with me if the coating hardened up that fast overnight considering the cost.
    I hear ya, but I spoke to the distributor and it is being taken care of to my satisfaction. I wonder why you can't see the pictures?

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of a bottle hardening up overnight. Also never used Kamikaze. Budgetplan1 are you out there? Most half full bottles last me 30-45 days. Stuff must be very high in solids. I just can’t bring myself to pay Kamikaze prices. It maybe (maybe) a bit better than some coatings but not at their price point. Although I do like Overcoat very much. I would like to see a side by side test of their coatings vs anyone else’s just to see if there is a huge difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Never heard of a bottle hardening up overnight. Also never used Kamikaze. Budgetplan1 are you out there? Most half full bottles last me 30-45 days. Stuff must be very high in solids. I just can’t bring myself to pay Kamikaze prices. It maybe (maybe) a bit better than some coatings but not at their price point. Although I do like Overcoat very much. I would like to see a side by side test of their coatings vs anyone else’s just to see if there is a huge difference.
    If the dropper top is used to cap the bottle, it's not a very good seal; I saw or read that somewhere that it wont so much harden as it will begin to turn to a jell quickly and then harden.

Noticed as the temps rose into the mid-80's in the garage Sunday, the residual Zipang i left in the cap would thicken relatively quickly. Appears that as it gets really warm, it can begin to cure somewhat rapidly. I have a small amount left tightly capped in bottle, we'll see what happens.

Was also mentioned that once opened, no matter how tightly capped, recommended to use inside of a month so extended shelf life is not gonna be its strong suit by any means.

As for a huge difference between Kami and others, there's really not a huge difference between any of the coatings I've used for the most part. While some last a bit longer, some *seem* to do this or that a bit better I'd suspect a lot if it comes down to personal preference based upon either real or merely imagined differences.

Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint specific aspects of this one being 'better' than that one, end of the day it's kinda "I cant quite put my finger on it specifically, but things just go better for me using this particular stuff".

I think.

In the end, whether the premium cost of this product is worth it remains to be seen and even then, whether or not the real or perceived differences justify the cost as opposed to other choices is solely an individual decision.

It's just another reason that the quest for the absolute 'best' is a fruitless one; the best is a moving target, largely propelled by individual and highly subjective forces as opposed to fast, easily defined data points.

Sure can be fun, though.