autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Onr not taking dirt off or is it road film that it just can’t get off?

I used onr the way it says on the bottle but when I dry the panel my white drying towel is full of dirt? Is this road film? Do I need to use a soap that takes off toad grime every time and will that in turn take off my bead maker so that I need to reapply that in full every time ?

This is my towel after I’ve already cleaned the panel with onr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Onr not taking dirt off or is it road film that it just can’t get off?

What wash media did you use? Depending on the state of my LSP, whether I used the BRS or a microfiber towel, and how long it’s been since I’ve washed the car, I’ll sometimes notice dirt in the drying towel.

In several demos of ONR being used by Yvan from OPT, you’ll see how drying towel come up with some dirt on it.

I don’t usually worry too much about a little dirt. I figure if I can clean my car when it’s fairly dirty without scratching, a little dirt coming up on the drying towel shouldn’t be any different. That being said, I prefer that my drying towel doesn’t get gross and I don’t think I’ve ever pulled as much dirt onto my drying towel as you’ve got in that picture. Not off my personal car, anyway.

If you’re using the BRS, I’d keep one towel in the bucket with it and after you go over the panel with the BRS, use it for more intricate areas. I find the nap of the towel gets around crevices a lot better than the sponge. Around door handles, around the edges of the window. Places like that.

If you’re just using a mf towel/wash mitt, grout sponge, diapers, cashmere socks, or whatever your preferred wash media is, I’d say just give it a quick second pass after your first one. When I used towels exclusively that’s what I’d do. Clean the panel, flip to the other side and give it another pass, then move on to the next panel.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m using regular mf towels with onr I have so many that I don’t need the brs because i never have to use the same towel twice. I have also tried going over a panel twice with onr the second pass is usually clean but once I spray beadmaker or any lsp and I start to dry I get the results in the picture. Sometimes it’s that dirty and sometimes it’s a little lighter. We have had an unusual amount of rain so maybe there extra oil and brake Fluid gas etc In the puddles and that’s what’s making it a little extra dirty. But isn’t dirt like that going to be scratching the car? I can’t imagine not

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bgates222 View Post
    I’m using regular mf towels with onr I have so many that I don’t need the brs because i never have to use the same towel twice. I have also tried going over a panel twice with onr the second pass is usually clean but once I spray beadmaker or any lsp and I start to dry I get the results in the picture. Sometimes it’s that dirty and sometimes it’s a little lighter. We have had an unusual amount of rain so maybe there extra oil and brake Fluid gas etc In the puddles and that’s what’s making it a little extra dirty. But isn’t dirt like that going to be scratching the car? I can’t imagine not

It’s tough to say about the dirt. I’ve never really encountered that situation with any car i regularly maintain, but I’m sure someone will come along and have some insights about it. I have encountered stuff that ONR won’t clean without a pre treat of some kind though.

I see my friend monthly. She cuts my hair, I wash her car. She used to have a white fiat, and the only time it got washed was when I washed it. She lived around a lot of road work and commuted a long ways everyday, so whatever I put on her car would just get beat to hell. ONR wouldn’t touch the black oily film that was always in it at all. It took pretreating the car with an APC to loosen it up, and I eventually just started using megs wash+ on it to save time.

About the dirt: I’ve always figured if ONR makes wiping the bulk of dirt off a panel safe, then any residual dirt left over that gets picked up by the drying towel, also being lubricated/encapsulated, should be a non issue. The only caveat being that you flip your drying towel to clean sides frequently too. Like I said though, I much prefer to not have to worry about a dirty drying towel. That’s just what I think when I do happen to pick up a small amount of dirt.

Mike Phillips

My guess is it's dirt.

Road film would normally be IMPACTED onto the paint and thus this is why any substantial amount of road film doesn't wash off or wipe off and must be polished off.

Sure some recent road film washes off but in context, when I talk about road film I'm talking about the FILM that builds-up over time and is impacted ONTO the paint, not just sitting on the surface like fresh dirt.

Don't know if that helps....

I do know that ONR contains SUBSTANTIAL polymers - be sure to dilute according to directions. Don't use my method, the Glug-Glug method when mixing - too much can make it hard to wipe off.

Here's just ONE Of my articles on road film, I think I have 3 or 4.

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mike I will watch those , I’m just confused as to why the onr doesn’t take it off even if I use multiple mf towels but the bead maker does with just a drying towel. Very strange

Post Thanks / Like

Are your towels picking up that “dirt” all over the car or just on certain panels? Do you live or work in an area where there is a lot of construction or fallout?

I’m wondering if Beadmaker has some sort of solvent that is breaking down either the layer of road grime that has embedded itself on the last application of Beadmaker or maybe even the previous layer of Beadmaker itself that has the the grime in it.

Post Thanks / Like

This seems to be a pretty common complaint with ONR - dirt showing up in the drying towel, or staining of the wash media with the dirt that it does pull off.

While I was using it, I would notice the same thing. Even if it’s doing it’s encapsulation job, I ended up moving away from ONR for rinseless washing.

For customer cars at work (auto repair, not detailing), I do still use it for miscellaneous interior trim/switchgear wipe downs, and I really like it for cleaning under hood plastics. Again, I’m not going full out detail crazy, but after performing repairs under hood I like for the customer to see that the car was cleaned with intention.

I use it at home for cleaning floors.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bgates222 View Post

I’m just confused as to why the onr doesn’t take it off even if I use multiple mf towels but the bead maker does with just a drying towel.

Very strange

I would day the difference would be based primarily upon

Cleaning ability

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I would day the difference would be based primarily upon

Cleaning ability

Yeah mine lol

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast