autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Question Any use Griot's One-Step Sealant (AIO) ?

Friend of mine gave me a big box of nearly new and brand new Griot's products that he is not taking with him on a move so I am off and running trying some of the products out. One of which I have 3 bottles of is their One-Step Polish and Sealant Griot's Garage One-Step Sealant, One Step Paint Sealant, liquid car wax sealant

Haven't used it yet but I have an opportunity this weekend to try it on a Volvo XC90 that is coming to me for a Premium Enhancement Polish package in which they are not going with a coating on thus I'm considering this product.

Any feedback on it throughout the use and longevity of it's sealant appreciated. Even if you've compared it to other AIO's. HDSpeed, Sonax Cleaner Wax and Meg's D166 are my go-to's in most cases.

Thanks!
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any use Griot's One-Step Sealant (AIO) ?

Protects for up to 1 year? That’s a BOLD statement.Any use Griot's One-Step Sealant (AIO) ?

Post Thanks / Like

I've been wanting to try it for sometime, let us know what you think.

Post Thanks / Like

I have and it has the ability to remove swirls with the right pad and brighten up the paint. It is also fairly durable but no way does it last a year - not in avaerage, everyday conditions. I would cut that in half and say 6 months is more reasonable. Not directed at any one manufacturer, but we have no idea what criteria they use to determine durability time. Yes this AIO can last a year on a car that spends a good part of its life in the garage, driven only in nice weather and washed every other month. But in cases of daily driving in all sorts of weather, infrequent garaging and more frequent washing (or “touching” as Mike P. Says) it won’t last as long. I really wish there was a standard of the test for these things.

ScottH

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used it before, but I have to add the disclaimer that it's the only AIO I've used.

I also don't think I've really used it since I've joined here, so I was never analyzing it through a very geeky lens when I was using it. Best I can report is that when I was using it on my wife's car, I'd hit it with the OSS and top it with their Premium Carnauba Paste Wax in the fall, and come spring I felt it was still intact based on level of shine and mitt-feedback/ease of cleaning during the spring washes. Like Scott said, I don't know if I think it'd go a full year to AG standards.

Very easy to work with; when I have coworkers that want to do something for their cars I'll lend them my GG6, their orange pads, and my bottle of One Step Sealant.

I'm sure you're going to be able to get stellar results based on how all your work turns out. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you get a chance to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Good feedback guys. I'm going to do a test spot today before beginning of course but if good it will be used on this 3yr old car-wash queen. Very clean overall (now) but the paint is marred up badly from car washes. The wife who owns it is a realtor and has a bar-code style car wash pass on the top corner of the windshield and likely won't stop using it so my goal is to help it decently for now but mainly to brighten up the pearl finish and perhaps show the owner what it could look like vs not having nearly as much pop due to swirls. They live out in a very nice wooded area so much of the clean up was thousands of dead bugs dried onto it and road tar all along the rocker panels.

I'll keep you posted and will see if I can get some good before and after shots. I'm going to top this one with Ice Seal & Shine regardless as for a simple $6 LSP, I've been thoroughly impressed with it on the hood of the Jeep thus far. One been a week but the rain since and the wash yesterday showed super good water behavior and tall beading. If it lasts like they say, the combo over top of Griots should live up to my packages noted "season long" protection.

2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

8. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used it, I put that on then wait a day and top with their liquid poly wax. Looks great and shinny and seems to stay very clean. As far as how long it lasts I can't say because I never leave it alone for that long .My stress release is waxing.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been trying to find the thread, but I swear it was Calendyr that uses the One Step Sealant topped with Sonax PNS as one of his packages. Hopefully whoever it was will chime in.

If memory serves, they’d use the Griots One Step, then before wiping it off hit it with a couple light stripes of PNS. From everything I’ve read on the TW, sure seems like it could work well for what you’re thinking.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been 4-5 years since I've used it, it has moderate cut, finishes well but durability is no where near a year. It's very thin which I didn't care for and I thought of it as more of a chemical type cleaner than a correction type. I'm really not a big fan of aio's in general but I don't use this one anymore. Please post your experience after you've used it

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

My initial thought was to use it on this Volvo XC90 that a was in for my Premium Enhancement Polish Package which normally entails either an AIO like this or a basic polish and another LSP/Coating even. I tried it but Volvo seems to have some pretty strong clear coat so it was a no-go given I needed to get at least 50-75% correction on a vehicle that has seen hundreds of tunnel washes. I ended up using Meg's D166 and it did exactly what I was looking for it to do. I achieved about 75% reduction which was great as the only place left with any traces of marring was the lower 1/3 of the doors given those spinning brushes hit there the hardest. The rest came out fantastic. If I had more time available for the job I would have compounded those area for the customer but my day was running short.

Overall my thoughts on Griot's AIO are this:

I'll start with my dislikes first. Viscosity of it is way too thin for me. Like their glass polish it's very thin thus if you don't use it sparingly it splatters like crazy. That's my #1 pet peave about any products or polishing system. I overlooked that a bit because I can always dial back the amounts of product used, but even then as the first pad began to fill up it began to splatter. Based on that alone, it's not my product of choice given I have several others that don't. That said, this splatter was with my Rupes Mille and the Maroon Buff and Shine Pads & Rupes Green pads that I also ended up using in places.

I did like the working time which was on-par with others and the wipe off, which was a tick below HD Speed but on par with D166. Overall cut was light. I would say it's comparable to Sonax Paint Cleaner AIO which might make it good for softer paints like the Japanese imports tend to have. I'm curious if the splatter will continue if I use it with my Hexlogic green or Orange pads as they seem to have the ability to hold product well. I may end up giving it a go with them on my Flex 3401 on a Japanese import next go-round. I certainly am not ready to toss it just yet.

Anyway, that's the update on their product from my perspective and use.

13. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post