autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do black cars really need products specific for black paint?

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    But what about the 'tinted clearcoats'
    I personally believe that I had
    already covered that scenario.

However, if you believe it’s necessary,
    please feel free to add the letter “s
    to the word ’color’, found in the below
    posting, for furtherance of clarification.

TO WIT:

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    ....I’ve always found it nigh to im-
    possible to change-up/dye the ’color(s)’ of
    ClearCoat paints that’s been sprayed, and
    subsequently cured, in the OEMs’ factory
    (or other OEM approved) paint kitchens:

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn’t matter for wax, but always use black soap

3. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO NO! I have a Black ride and I know my ride has a Clear Coat that protects my Black Paint. That being said, I use Polish Angel Centurion Liquid wax and that is "designed" for a black car. But I also use Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax and Vic's Red Paste wax. They are designed for all color cars. Again, you are protecting the clear coat after you compound/polish/prep.

It's just another marketing ploy IMO. I know I use Centurion! LOL
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the replies and advice, I've never heard of "black soap" so I'll have to do some research on that.

I ended up purchasing Meguiar's M20508 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish because it is my understanding that it is less harsh and I don't think my car's paint needs that much work, with only 6600 miles. Also, it is apparently better to start with less and move to more if needed.

I also bought Turtle Wax ICE Spray Wax for some coverage until I have the time to go over the entire car with a good paste or liquid wax.

It's going to be hard work until I can get a machine to help but I'm extremely dedicated to keeping my car looking beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like

My personal sample set is quantity 1: Turtle Wax Jet Black Spray Detailer. Note there is no "ICE" in the title. I think I posted this somewhere already, but it was like cleaning with pruning sealer. Terrible, awful product that I threw away right away.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    My personal sample set is quantity 1: Turtle Wax Jet Black Spray Detailer. Note there is no "ICE" in the title. I think I posted this somewhere already, but it was like cleaning with pruning sealer. Terrible, awful product that I threw away right away.
    Noted, thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silvaria View Post
    I appreciate the replies and advice, I've never heard of "black soap" so I'll have to do some research on that.

I ended up purchasing Meguiar's M20508 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish because it is my understanding that it is less harsh and I don't think my car's paint needs that much work, with only 6600 miles. Also, it is apparently better to start with less and move to more if needed.

I also bought Turtle Wax ICE Spray Wax for some coverage until I have the time to go over the entire car with a good paste or liquid wax.

It's going to be hard work until I can get a machine to help but I'm extremely dedicated to keeping my car looking beautiful!
    “Black soap” isn’t really a thing, to my knowledge. I think it was sarcasm.

TW ICE is a solid spray wax, good choice... albeit not sold here so I’ll refrain from discussing further. M205 is a favorite to many here, and is a great starting polish. I myself started with it (actually Ultimate Polish, but basically the same).

As for good waxes/sealants/coatings (last step products or “LSPs”) for your situation... There’s so much out there so it may be hard to choose right now, but the positive is that there’s a ton of great choices. It’s almost hard to go wrong these days. So don’t fear that you may accidentally pick something “bad”. I don’t think that will happen if you follow the guidance of the new and old posts from members on this site.

Post Thanks / Like

The black paint as in polishing no no special products. But you can spot bad polishes or to aggressive combo of polish and pad easier on darker colors. There is haze or micro marring on light colors too if used with bad polishes or to aggressive combo of polish and pad but less visible.

I do think that there is different LSP that looks better on dark colors and on light colors too. Montan wax is an ingridient in 3D Speed and Blackfire Blackice Hybrid Montan Sealant Wax. That suits black color paints more than on other colors. Dodo Juice has many different waxes where you can see what kind of wax blend they use to get the most out of it on certain shades of colors. As their Blue Velvet wax it's carnuaba and dark beeswax and montan wax for the dark paints.

With sealants and ceramic coatings is a little harder to know which suits better than the other. But you get a different kind of gloss and crispy looking on these. Then it's also about what you like on just your paint. A darker deeper carnuaba glow look or a sharper high gloss. So also personal preferences comes to play. Polish Angel also does LSP for certain shades of colors. You can even get Cosmic v2 coating color coded where you send in the color code on your paint. And they make it to play as good as possible to that.

Post Thanks / Like

Every LSP you apply or layer on top of another LSP will change the way the light travels through the layers of LSP and clear coat and then back through. They will have different angles of refraction and different angles of total reflection as the light passes from one medium to another. This causes the slightly different looks with LSPs. I know we are only talking about LSPs that are few microns thick, but the visible light wavelengths are measured in billionths of a millimeter. Sometimes these factors compliment certain colors, some times they don't.

11. Likes SWETM, acuRAS82, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Every LSP you apply or layer on top of another LSP will change the way the light travels through the layers of LSP and clear coat and then back through. They will have different angles of refraction and different angles of total reflection as the light passes from one medium to another. This causes the slightly different looks with LSPs. I know we are only talking about LSPs that are few microns thick, but the visible light wavelengths are measured in billionths of a millimeter. Sometimes these factors compliment certain colors, some times they don't.
    Well described, DBAILEY.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast