autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coated maintenance advice needed

I have a black Jeep GC coated in Carpro ceramic. I live on a dirt road so the finish is constantly covered in silica dust from the road. I clean it infrequently and want to know the best products/methods to use. I was thinking that I could get a clay mitt to wash it with using the Chemical Guys Maxi Suds I have. The apply a SI02 product like McKee's 37 hydro Blue. I am not looking to invest a lot of time into this process due to the fact that it will be dirty within a day. I am just looking to keep it somewhat hydrophobic so rains help wash the dust coating away and minimize staining. Is this a good plan or is there better products that require a fairly minimal process once a month?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coated maintenance advice needed

If you’re looking for a “minimal” process that will keep it looking pretty good (not perfect ) I’d suggest looking into a touch less wash routine. For example, foam with foam cannon, pressure rinse, flood rinse and dry with forced air. IMO, this wash will look 90% as nice as a bucket wash. It’s much faster and less risk of instilling swirls or marring. Maybe every couple of months do a bucket wash to remove whatever bonded grime there is and follow up with a product like Hydr02.

3. Likes Paul A., SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Landtosea View Post
    I have a black Jeep GC coated in Carpro ceramic. I live on a dirt road so the finish is constantly covered in silica dust from the road. I clean it infrequently and want to know the best products/methods to use. I was thinking that I could get a clay mitt to wash it with using the Chemical Guys Maxi Suds I have. The apply a SI02 product like McKee's 37 hydro Blue. I am not looking to invest a lot of time into this process due to the fact that it will be dirty within a day. I am just looking to keep it somewhat hydrophobic so rains help wash the dust coating away and minimize staining. Is this a good plan or is there better products that require a fairly minimal process once a month?
    If you want to keep it simple then wash and get yourself some CarPro Elixir. You can use it as often as you like. It will leave some protection behind.

You may want to chemically decon every now and then with irons and possibly tarx.

Coating may induce marring. 22ple makes a non abrasive clay bar that seems to work well.

Ech2o makes a fine waterless wash to have that can bike used as a quick detailer if needed. I keep a bottle of it in my car which is diluted at 1:20.

5. Thanks Avi@CarPro thanked for this post
    Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    If you want to keep it simple then wash and get yourself some CarPro Elixir. You can use it as often as you like. It will leave some protection behind.

You may want to chemically decon every now and then with irons and possibly tarx.

Coating may induce marring. 22ple makes a non abrasive clay bar that seems to work well.

Ech2o makes a fine waterless wash to have that can bike used as a quick detailer if needed. I keep a bottle of it in my car which is diluted at 1:20.
    The Elixir appears to be an alternative to washing. Maybe the perception I gave was not clear. When the car is dirty it is DIRTY and has to be rinsed well and water washed or it will result in scratches. This isn't typical airborne dust, it is road sand particles. What I am really looking to avoid is much work beyond the wash to revive the ceramic coating to a hydrophobic state that will shed water and help rain flush the surface better. So, I was thinning maybe a clay mitt to grab contaminants off the surface of the ceramic while washing then applying some sort of silicone based product to revive the coating. I have used iron remover spray, rinse then applied CarPro Reload previously which had a great initial result, but it seemed short lived. I was hoping there were other products that would give a better result.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Landtosea View Post
    The Elixir appears to be an alternative to washing. Maybe the perception I gave was not clear. When the car is dirty it is DIRTY and has to be rinsed well and water washed or it will result in scratches. This isn't typical airborne dust, it is road sand particles. What I am really looking to avoid is much work beyond the wash to revive the ceramic coating to a hydrophobic state that will shed water and help rain flush the surface better. So, I was thinning maybe a clay mitt to grab contaminants off the surface of the ceramic while washing then applying some sort of silicone based product to revive the coating. I have used iron remover spray, rinse then applied CarPro Reload previously which had a great initial result, but it seemed short lived. I was hoping there were other products that would give a better result.
    Elixir is a quick detailer as I mentioned. It will leave protection behind as it is composed of elements of Reload, Ech2o and Hydro2. It can be used as often as one likes. Try it and see if you like it. It is a good product.

Ech2o as I mentioned is a versatile waterless wash. It can be used as a quick detailer or a rinseless wash as well. This don’t leave much protection behind.

My phone typed the wrong thing but I meant that claying can marr the paint. The way to fix marring is by polishing. Polishing will remove the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Adams Ceramic Coating booster about once a month.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont wash it with a clay Mitt that's a bad idea. They aren't made for maintenance washing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Elixir is a quick detailer as I mentioned. It will leave protection behind as it is composed of elements of Reload, Ech2o and Hydro2. It can be used as often as one likes. Try it and see if you like it. It is a good product.

Ech2o as I mentioned is a versatile waterless wash. It can be used as a quick detailer or a rinseless wash as well. This don’t leave much protection behind.

My phone typed the wrong thing but I meant that claying can marr the paint. The way to fix marring is by polishing. Polishing will remove the coating.
    I ordered Elixir to try after pressure spray then foam washing.

Post Thanks / Like

The first thing I would get if you don't already have it. Is a PW to use the water pressure from the it to clean with. Every part of the paint is to be hit with the water pressure from the PW. It's a superior way to get all loose dirt of the vehicals. If possible I would look for a gas PW that idle down when you don't trigger it. That way you get a much faster and more cleaning ability from the PW.

The prewash foam that is dedicated to be foamed on and let it dwell and then clean rinsing it off. Is an aid to the PW to get it a little more cleaner. You could also just use a degreaser and a pump pressure spray bottle to apply it with too. The benefit with foaming is you get a longer dwell time from it and you also see where you have been easier. As with any prewash or pretreatment I clean rinsing it off from the bottom and work my way up. And if I do a touchless wash I finish with a rinse from the top and work my way down and also if bucket wash I rinses that way. Dirt runs off better on a clean surface and can be actually reattached to the dirt on the lower parts and gets harder to clean rinsing it off the lower you come.

As for products the dedicated prewash foams is often more expensive sadly. But Gyeon Foam and gtechnic w4 citrus foam and Griots Garage BOSS foaming surface wash. Would be the choices offered on AGO. And also get you a bottle of Carpro Reset car soap. To use every other week. And stay away from car soaps that leaves wax or glossenhancers or both behind. As it will mess with the hydrophobic caractics of your coating.

You can also do a waterless wash or rinseless wash after the prewash foam if wanted. And the products mentioned above is great products and recommendations. Also don't use any kind of clay on your coating. Find a prewash that helps to desolve desolve the dirt you get on your car. And since you have a coating that is very chemical resistant you can use quite strong chemicals. Also the Reset car soap is very effective to wash your coated car and will make it's performance on top. Gtechnic G-Wash car soap is another strong car soap with a high cleaning ability from it. And they are made for being aggitated with to clean. So it's a little wastefull to use as prewash foam.