autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing mud stains, single stage white paint

New to the forum. So...I’m trying to do paint correction on a White 2007 Toyota Tundra. The truck hasn’t had any wax in several years. To make matters worse it has been covered in mud for about a year without a wash, baking in the south Louisiana/Southeast Texas sun 24/7. It is very oxidized and stained. I think my plan is, after initially washing with Dawn, I’m using Griot’s Garage Sythetic Clay pad with Speed Shine. Then I’ll use Pinnacle Advanced Compound to remove the oxidation and stains before applying a protectant. My question is; how much effort should I put into removing the stains with the clay? Should I just get the above the surface stuff with the clay and leave the stains for the compound? Or should I put a lot of effort into getting as much of the imbedded dirt out as possible?

Mike Phillips

Re: Removing mud stains, single stage white paint

Quote Originally Posted by SlidinSidways View Post

My question is;

how much effort should I put into removing the stains with the clay?

Should I just get the above the surface stuff with the clay and leave the stains for the compound?

Or should I put a lot of effort into getting as much of the imbedded dirt out as possible?

Clay, or in this case a Griot's Garage clay mitt, will only remove TOPICAL defects. I will do little if anything to deep clean single stage paint.

The compound will shine in this area - pun intended.

Don't want to say you from your plan and if you plan to use a ceramic coating then you don't want to use an AIO or cleaner/wax. BUT if all you want to do is remove the staining, restore the shine and make the process quick and simple - get some BLACKFIRE One Step.

Use it HEAVE or WET, this means use an ample amount and plenty of foam cutting pads and the chemical cleaners and solvents PLUS the abrasive technology will/should restore a vibrant white appearance - no problems.

3. Likes SlidinSidways liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's a TOTALLY different issue (micro-marring), but in this member's original post asking for help I stated the BLACKFIRE One Step would fix the problem and true to my word - it did.

Updated - Blackfire One Step makes a newb not feel like a newb...amazing product

Super nice product and easy wipe-off. I call this product,

Bubba-Proof

The only way you could make a mistake with it is if you held it a few feet over the hood and dropped it.

5. Likes axel06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Toyota has been using SS white paint on many trucks. I have a 2010 Tundra with SS factory white paint sitting on the property right now. Are you saying they didn't in 2007 for some reason?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Don't want to say you from your plan and if you plan to use a ceramic coating then you don't want to use an AIO or cleaner/wax.

Thanks, Mike, for the quick reply.

I am considering ceramic. Never done it before. Figured the Tundra would be a good vehicle to learn on, but I have a ton of issues to try to address before I make a final decision on that. It’ll be more about the learning experience than the final outcome. This truck has been used and abused probably beyond my ability to totally repair, but I’m gonna give it a go. At least make it “less embarrassing” for my son to drive.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    Was it repainted? Because a 2007 tundra didn't come with single stage paint from the factory.
    No. It’s never been repainted, Super White (040)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The only way you could make a mistake with it is if you held it a few feet over the hood and dropped it.
    Hahaha. Dang!!!