autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Customer Supplied Products

all,

i have a customer who recently purchased a 2017 ZL-1 Camaro. Car is brite Red, black alcantara interior, few underhood mods.

He is requesting a very basic polish (car has 4k miles, in great shape), and the use of his product...ZAINOS.

just curious as to everyone who may have used this before, what are your thoughts ????

it has been years since i have even heard there name, looking for recent feed back.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Customer Supplied Products

They were a big deal 20 years ago but as we know there are many, many, many better choices now. I mean you'll get results but keep in mind what they call a "polish" isn't a polish, they have ZERO abrasives. Hopefully your allowed to use something else for correction and then, layer away...as long as you've got their ZFX, it's a VERY small blue bottle where you add literally drops to their Z whatever, I think its Z-2 or Z-5 which allows you to layer away. Z-CS was a pretty good product but when I found BlackFire Crystal spray (not sure if that's the exact name or if it's even made still) it was game over, better results less money, a win win.

Keep us posted!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Mike Phillips

I know Sal Zaino, he's a good guy. Straight shooter. He actually attended one of my Meguiar's Roadshow Classes in New Jersey years ago.

Attended incognito. Drove there in a Ford GT40 - pretty hip dude.

Zaino products are actually very good.

Car Wax History
    The Z2 Polish, (which isn't a "polish" but a non-cleaning, synthetic sealant), is the product Meguiar's benchmarked their NXT against when they started developing NXT.

NXT was the product I described on page 31 of the Zaino Case Study, a report I wrote for Meguiar's in 2003. After the report, R&D was instructed to develop a product to compete against Zaino and the NXT line was that product line.

My original suggestion was a single product, a non-cleaning, zero carnauba product to compete head-to-head with Z2 but one of the marketing guys, Peter Schumer twisted my idea into an line of product that were ALL synthetic and then marketing steered this line at the Tuner Crowd, thus the NXT or Next Generation line of product was borne.

If I remember correctly, the only product in the Zaino line that has the ability to "correct paint", that is the only product that contains abrasive or as I type about all the time here on this forum, abrasive technology, is their AIO - I can't remember the part number or the name.

I think you're good to go to use the Zaino line of product but if you are going to do any paint correction, I'd strongly recommend using a brand you already know and trust and is known for using GREAT abrasive technology.

The most important factor when it comes to polishing paint is the abrasive technology. It's not technique as most think but the compounds, polishes and/or cleaner/waxes.

It is the abrasives that touch the paint, not your technique.

What do you have or use for abrasive technology?

4. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a "Zealot" for years before finding PBMG. I found Sal's products very very good however branched out after finding other offerings and learning more about detailing in general.

One of the reasons I abandoned the product was Sal's seemingly lack of progression. He offers a handful of products and that's been it for years now. I can understand it a bit because his products worked well and sold well. I think Zaino was mandatory in the Corvette community some years ago and may still be!

The best thing Zaino taught me is how to apply products super thin.

I would have no problem applying any customer provided product and, like Mike said, Zaino IS good stuff. Just not my cup of tea anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I was a "Zealot" for years before finding PBMG. I found Sal's products very very good however branched out after finding other offerings and learning more about detailing in general.

One of the reasons I abandoned the product was Sal's seemingly lack of progression. He offers a handful of products and that's been it for years now. I can understand it a bit because his products worked well and sold well. I think Zaino was mandatory in the Corvette community some years ago and may still be!

The best thing Zaino taught me is how to apply products super thin.

I would have no problem applying any customer provided product and, like Mike said, Zaino IS good stuff. Just not my cup of tea anymore.
    ^^ spot on and my story as well to the letter. Used their stuff throughout the 90's but after that quickly found more updated and easier to use products. I agree with Mike here that it's good stuff but just not my focus today.

To your question, I would use it as the LSP for the customer but I would use my own abrasive technology. I also assume you're doing this for money, so you may wish to address and have sign-off on any of the use of their products vs your guarantee's, etc. that may be included. In short, if the owner comes back in 2 mos and says it's not holding up and points the finger at you for doing something wrong, etc.... In other words, get a scope of work outlined and agreed to ahead of time.

The above may sound a bit complex, but I run my deals through an official agreement that outlines a scope of work, expectations and care going forward, etc. I NEVER skip a step as I did once and thankfully it didn't come back to bite me but it woke me up to making sure I ALWAYS stick to my plan.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

7. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the feed back, the owner is open to WHAT I PREFER, but he knows the Zainos and would like that product.

having seen the car, i think M205 will do everything with minimal effort (the car has very minor swirl marks). i generally use Black Label Diamond Shine Coating on most daily driver vehicles. this one is less a driver, but will be stored under cover, under roof but not indoors.

more of a nice weekend cruiser. i may try the zainos standalone as they direct just to see the product, he is ok bringing it back as he sees needed to BRIGHTEN IT UP, and do a coating/sealant then.

Post Thanks / Like

I used it in the ‘90s on my Pontiac Firebird Formula in dark green. I loved that car and still smile when I see one on the road. Good times!

Anyway, I liked using Zaino at the time. Good results. That said, Collinite 845 and 476 is all I use these days. For protection, at least. For cut I use m205.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I find it odd that someone would want to pay for a detail, but then insist on a certain product. To me, you either use the product you want and apply yourself, or you hire a detailer and let them use what they want and are comfortable. Like I would never hire a cleaning service and insist they use only 409, or a lawn service and insist they use just john deer products.

Did you inquire on why he insisted?
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

i did, he stated that he has history of use and loves the look...

i showed him a pic of a 2017 GMC 2500 that i had recently finished with Black Label Diamond Shine Surface Coating. Not the greatest pic, but he also coworks with a few vehicles that i have done and he was overly satisfied with my work... I gave a quote, as any other vehicle using my choice of products and he complied, just prefred that his product be the top coat. so, being a polymer based WAX if you will, i dont see topping the Diamond Sine being an issue. i have used several different toppings on my black suburban test mule with no issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Customer Supplied Products-img_04321-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

I too used a touch of Zaino at one time. Good but there is better and if hes open and trusts you then it should be fine.

We have had good luck with M210 on this Fire Cracker Red Jeep Gladiator and this Black 2019 Dodge Ram 2500 got SF3800.

Best of luck.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast