autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions About Mike's Favorite Green MF Towels

A couple questions about these edgeless MF towels ...

1. I assume that the other colors of these towels are exactly the same as the forest green ones ? I already bought a dozen of the green but I want to buy some more but want a different color in order to segregate my towels by use. Can't pass up a 50% off sale on MF's, then again all these sales burn a hole in my pocket. Good thing the PFM's are not included or I'd be in real trouble ...

2. Would these towels be OK to use for car wash media ? We're in an apartment right now until our new house is finished, and no car washing is allowed. Thus I am relegated to the coin-op wash and it's a real hassle hauling two buckets (1 of wash solution, 1 to rinse my wash media) to the car wash. So my plan is to just take 1 bucket of wash solution, soak a dozen of these MF's in it, and eliminate the need for the rinse bucket ... ie. I will not re-use any of the MF's once they are soiled. Sort of a hybrid of the 2B wash crossed with the GDWM, though not rinseless.

TIA,
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions About Mike's Favorite Green MF Towels

I dont know if he's talking about the same towels but I bought the grey edgeless polishing cloths a while ago and they were less then stellar to say the least. Very thin, cheap, low quality blend towel. To each his own but i think you should look into the rag company towels in 300gsm to get a true top of the line towel at that weight.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post

1. I assume that the other colors of these towels are exactly the same as the forest green ones ?

No. Nothing like them.

Let me put it like this,

I'm very meticulous when I detail cars, when I teach car detailing and when I make public recommendations for people I don't know, will never meet and have ZERO idea of their knowledge or skill level.

I would never recommend a product for specific type of work, like I do with the Forrest Green eggless towels for PAINT WORK.

I've posted this elsewhere on this forum, here I go again...

When Bobby and Andre were doing some towel testing, I found some of these in the garage. I liked them. I took what I found, washed them and dried them and then started using them when doing paint correction and coating work. I really like them.

I sent an e-mail or verbally told key people at work that I LIKED THEM. A few months down the road I see we have them in stock.

I don't really care if anyone else buys them, I mean I do because we "sell stuff" and that makes our company go. What I mean is I put in an order for 300 towels and now use them in all my classes. In my classes I also SHOWCASE them to my students. I explain a LOT about towels in my classes and we use a LOT of different types of towels in my classes.

For PAINT work -except for chemically stripping - we use these towels. They have a LOW or short pile length. That's a benefit for a number of reasons

They are soft but they are not as limp as some towels, that's a benefit. They are priced right - that's a benefit.

They are not the BEST for wiping off compounds if you're going to polish after compounding. If you're not going to polish after compounding then they are good.

If you are polishing after compounding then a more stout towel makes wiping compound off easier. The Griot's PFMs are good BECAUSE they are stout.

I think we brought in a more stout towel, at least my feedback to Andre was I LIKED the ones he showed me but again, most of the time when I give feedback I never here anything back or what comes from it.

I'lll take a look next week, see if the stout towels I liked for wiping of COMPOUNDS were brought in.

I appreciate you doing you due diligence in researching before purchasing. I like the Forrest Edgeless Green toweled for paint work,

Wiping off polish
    Wiping off any type of wax, sealant or AIOs - GREAT for BLACKFIRE ONE STEP
    Final wipe or final buff to remove high spots for coatings
    Waterless wash
    Rinseless wash
    Spray detailers

That's off the top of my head.

Hope that helps...

If you get some and don't like them, I'll trade you out for anything you do like and I'l use them.

4. Thanks 57Rambler thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

I dont know if he's talking about the same towels but I bought the grey edgeless polishing cloths a while ago and they were less then stellar to say the least.

Very thin, cheap, low quality blend towel. To each his own

I've seen a few of these in the garage and I agree, very thin and for my style of detailing and teaching, they are of no use.

Other's may like these or have a specific use for them, don't be too quick to judge everyone else's unique style or preferences.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I know where the OP is going. There are green, white, yellow, gray etc towels that have THE SAME EXACT description, but different colors. I bought two different colors assuming they were the same since the description matched all colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I've seen a few of these in the garage and I agree, very thin and for my style of detailing and teaching, they are of no use.

Other's may like these or have a specific use for them, don't be too quick to judge everyone else's unique style or preferences.

Mike, are you saying that it's not the case as in they're not the same towel?

If that's the case, I'm pissed honestly.... Same description should yield the the quality towel. TRC does the same with descriptions, it's just a different color...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    I think I know where the OP is going. There are green, white, yellow, gray etc towels that have THE SAME EXACT description, but different colors. I bought two different colors assuming they were the same since the description matched all colors.
    Yes, that is exactly what I was getting at, I should have better explained it like you did. Even when you compare the pics of the different-colored towels, they look like they have the same weave/construction. If they are not all the same in quality vs. the greenies, AG needs to revise the description of the other colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I just ordered another batch of the "greenies" just in case, and until the confusion is resolved. Guess I will abandon my color-coding plan and just have to keep them segregated.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I bought a lot of them like over 100 in thoguht that they were a gold mine since they seemed to be the same as the TRC EL365 towels...

Post Thanks / Like

Bought TWO 12 packs!

Happy about the price too!

Very rare to see 50 % here on AGO for anything!!

Tom

Plus a few other things as well.
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Link please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast