autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions About Mike's Favorite Green MF Towels

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Link please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Done and over with now...

Post Thanks / Like

Sale ended yesterday...

The green towels. Been wanting those for long time. Paid 9 bucks and change for a 12 pack! Got 2...!!!

12 Pack Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tom. There is a 25% Father’s Day sale running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I should have put the link in my original post, I just thought everyone on the AGF knew what "Mike's favorite green towels" were as he references them in many of his excellent articles. Their rep is well-earned ... they don't look all that special but they work like crazy.

Mike Phillips

Just a follow-up to what I posted previously, see the bold part

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

When Bobby and Andre were doing some towel testing, I found some of these in the garage. I liked them. I took what I found, washed them and dried them and then started using them when doing paint correction and coating work. I really like them.

I sent an e-mail or verbally told key people at work that I LIKED THEM. A few months down the road I see we have them in stock.

I don't really care if anyone else buys them, I mean I do because we "sell stuff" and that makes our company go.

What I mean is I put in an order for 300 towels and now use them in all my classes.

In my classes I also SHOWCASE them to my students. I explain a LOT about towels in my classes and we use a LOT of different types of towels in my classes.

I'm still unpacking totes from the Texas Roadshow Class. Part of unpacking in doing TONS of laundry.

Here's some towels that have been unpacked and then washed and dried and now they are ready for inspecting, folding and putting way. Note the volume of the Forrest Green Edgeless Towels AND this is not all of them!

When you actually work on cars instead of sitting in chairs - you go through a LOT of towels. You NEVER see these types of pictures for ANY other detailing class. Never.

10 cars detailed in 2 days! Texas Roadshow Detailing Class!

And all our classes are like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a follow-up to what I posted previously, see.

I'm still unpacking totes from the Texas Roadshow Class. Part of unpacking in doing TONS of laundry.

Here's some towels that have been unpacked and then washed and dried and now they are ready for inspecting, folding and putting way. Note the volume of the Forrest Green Edgeless Towels AND this is not all of them!

When you actually work on cars instead of sitting in chairs - you go through a LOT of towels. You NEVER see these types of pictures for ANY other detailing class. Never.

10 cars detailed in 2 days! Texas Roadshow Detailing Class!

And all our classes are like this.

That looks like a normal MF laundry day at my house. lol

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post

That looks like a normal MF laundry day at my house. lol
    Copy that... but just to note - that's not all, that's must some of the towels. I have not finished unpacking the totes. Have not had time and it's a tick messy as there are also lots of dirty pads to get unpacked next, then product and the n tools. I just thought I would back up what I posted about switching my classes over to these Forrest Green towels. We now use the Gold Plush Jr.s for wiping off compounds and moving forward in the process use the green towels.

Then all the tools get wiped down and stored away correctly and all the products, (liquids), get topped-off. The RUPES and Pinnacle compounds being a real pain in the butt to top off as the compounds are thick.

Ugh....

Post Thanks / Like

That’s always the most dreaded part for me since I’ve been so much mobile work. Unpacking, cleaning towels and pads and then putting it all away. You’re the man Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

Copy that... but just to note - that's not all, that's must some of the towels. I have not finished unpacking the totes. Have not had time and it's a tick messy as there are also lots of dirty pads to get unpacked next, then product and the n tools. I just thought I would back up what I posted about switching my classes over to these Forrest Green towels. We now use the Gold Plush Jr.s for wiping off compounds and moving forward in the process use the green towels.

Then all the tools get wiped down and stored away correctly and all the products, (liquids), get topped-off. The RUPES and Pinnacle compounds being a real pain in the butt to top off as the compounds are thick.

Ugh....

Mike,
    Do you use the same towels for all paint work, in terms of say that Green towel for wax, polish, sealant removal? Or should I have a dedicated color to each task ( such as a color for wax/selant and a color for polish )

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post

I think I know where the OP is going.

There are green, white, yellow, gray etc towels that have THE SAME EXACT description, but different colors.

I bought two different colors assuming they were the same since the description matched all colors. Mike, are you saying that it's not the case as in they're not the same towel?

If that's the case, I'm pissed honestly.... Same description should yield the quality towel. TRC does the same with descriptions, it's just a different color...

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post

Yes, that is exactly what I was getting at, I should have better explained it like you did. Even when you compare the pics of the different-colored towels, they look like they have the same weave/construction. If they are not all the same in quality vs. the greenies, AG needs to revise the description of the other colors.

Hey guys - sorry for any confusion. I feel your paint...

I've done some research this morning to try to find out what is what. But first I'm going to say something so everyone is CLEAR where I'm coming from. I already shared this but I'm going to share it again because I know there are a few cynical people on this forum that simply don't read and don't care to think let alone be nice.

One day while out in the garage, and this would be MONTHS ago, I found some towels that we didn't currently stock in the dirty towel boxes. I do all the laundry around here so of course I notice things like NEW COLORS of towels in my dirty towel boxes. I washed them and also checked them out. They were GREEN and had no edge. I then used them to wipe off a ceramic coating I had installed on a car. Now I really like them. Here's why,

1: Edgeless
    They have no seemed edge. A seemed edge is not a bad thing because if you hold a towel CORRECTLY you don't wipe with the edges. Duh. But by not having an edge they become bubba-proof and that's a bonus for newbies and people that don't really care about good technique.

2: Low pile length.
    Long fibers mean it's easy for contaminants to LODGE into the fibers and NOT wash out and thus contaminate the towel and eventually scratch paint.

3: Low pile length means EASY and FAST to inspect.
    If you have not read my article or watched my video on inspecting towels do so here.

4: Same weave on both sides.
    I waste a lot of time trying answering the question - which side for what? - when using towels that have a flat weave on one side and a fluffy weave on the other side. I teach a lot of classes, I dare to say I have more people (paying classes), go through my classes than any other instructor and any other class so I get asked a LOT of questions by a LOT of people and the towel questions are good and they always come up. By switching my classes over to the Forrest Green Edgeless towels I save time and avoid this question. Not a big deal to someone that doesn't answer a lot of questions but a it is something I deal with and I like to make my classes fun and easy.

5: Goldilocks and the Three Bears.
    By this I mean, these towels are not to hard, not too soft they're just right for most paint related car detailing duties. They are not perfect for wiping off compounds but they work and I have something to share for this.

6: Did I mention they are soft?
    Isn't that one of the reasons we use microfiber instead of terrycloth or other options? Clearcoats are SCRATCH-SENSITIVE - this means even though they are harder than traditional paints they still scratch easy and of course there are some very soft clearcoats and anyone that has worked on soft paint knows a soft towel is crucial.

Now let me put this together....

One day I found these green towels that I discovered in the dirty towel boxes in the warehouse for sale. So I placed an order for 300 of them and have been switching over to these towels for our classes.

I didn't spend any more time researching any of the other towels in the warehouse, I MOVED ON WITH MY WORK. I'm busy, I have too many other things to do than to inventory every towel in the garage and make a determination as to how I FEEL about it.

Now, fast-forward to this thread and that people have pointed out that the DESCRIPTIONS on the AG store for various towels are the same. So this morning I went out to the towel aisle and started looking and then checked with Meghan about these other colored towels and found out that at the same time we brought in the Forrest Green towels we also brought similar towels that are described as the same towel just different colors.

Cool.

But I didn't know this.

I'm not updated with every new widget that's brought into the Autogeek warehouse and thus the Autogeek store. If I'm not told what what's new or what's coming in to Autogeek. The only other way I find out about new stuff is usually by accident, like doing my normal job of doing towel laundry. Or like you, I go to the AG store page and click the link on the left side navigation panel and click the link that reads,

What's New

With the above all said - all the towels in the picture below and also on the page I link to are supposed to be the same towel - just different colors. The point of the different colors is so you can COLOR CODE you job duties or personal preference. For example it's common to use a BLACK microfiber towel for job duties that would STAIN the towel, like wiping off tire dressing or plastic trim dressing, (both things can create a black stain), and this way you don't turn pretty white or yellow towels ugly with stains.

Here's the towels,

Here's the link,

Car Care Microfiber Towels, Microfiber dusters and microfiber Detailing tools

Now lets go a little deeper...

I grabbed each one of these towels and LOOKED at the fiber weave and simply FELT them and Yeperdoo - they all feel the same except the white towel. Could just be me or maybe it's the processing the towel goes through to make it white, but it feels softer and more limp. Nothing wrong with that as it makes the towel better at jobs where you need a towel that is less stout and more gentle, for example for doing the final buff on very soft paints.

So if you like the Forrest Green Edgeless towels you'll like any of the other colors.

Now that I know this I will continue to use the Forrest Green Edgeless towels for wiping off polishes, cleaner/waxes, finishing waxes and finishing sealants. I already have 300 in the garage so I'm not going to switch horses in the middle of the stream. Plus, I have a EDGED towel, sold on the Autogeek store as a Universal Towel, that I use and show for less important functions like wiping down door jambs, engine compartments, etc.

I hope this helps relieve some anxiety and even frustration over any purchases that you have made. If you have any of the above towels and you bought them to wipe stuff off of car paint you're good to go. If you think the are thin you are somewhat correct, there are thinner towels on the market, these are a happy medium. I actually don't like super thick towels and especially thick or super thick towels that have a long fiber length - to me they won't last long before they become contaminated and then I use them to check the oil in my car.

Now it's time for me to move onto a new task....

11. Thanks MrOneEyedBoh thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast