autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Black Label Coating vs CQuartz Lite

I have an almost new Black Toyota 86 that I want to put a ceramic coating on. The car has 2000 miles on it so I'll need to do some minimal paint repair. I am new to ceramic coatings and want to make sure I don't do something that will be difficult to repair if I screw it up. I have a Griots orbital and polish using Meguiars Products. I know how to clay as well. I've read and watched your How To on ceramic coatings. I've also read multiple reviews and started to dig into the forums. I've gotten a little confused but think that I've narrowed things down to the Pinnacle Black Label or the CQuartz Lite. The PBL states it will last much longer than the CQuartz Lite (2yrs vs 6mos) but the CQ Lite seems like its the easier of the two to apply.

Can you give me the pros and cons of each and give me a recommendation. Thanks.

Mike Phillips

Re: Pinnacle Black Label Coating vs CQuartz Lite

Quote Originally Posted by MSTucker View Post

I am new to ceramic coatings and want to make sure I don't do something that will be difficult to repair if I screw it up.

I've gotten a little confused but think that I've narrowed things down to the Pinnacle Black Label or the CQuartz Lite.

The PBL states it will last much longer than the CQuartz Lite (2yrs vs 6mos) but the CQ Lite seems like its the easier of the two to apply.

Can you give me the pros and cons of each and give me a recommendation.

Thanks.

How long any product lasts comes down to how you "touch" the car. I type about this a lot. Just explained this to a guy that messaged me about painting a car with PPG Ceramiclear paint. Sounds simple but it's true. Point being - even a ceramic coated car MUST be washed and dried carefully.

As for repair - this is an issue. If you leave a high spot with some products you must polish the reside off.

I have not used the CarPro Lite so I don't have an opinion. I have used the PBL Paint Coating and it is easily one of the easiest coatings on the market to use plus it leaves the paint feeling slick and slippery. Most coatings in my experience leave the paint feeling rubbery.

3. Likes Thomkirby, MomNPop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an almost new Black Toyota 86 that I want to put a ceramic coating on. The car has 2000 miles on it so I'll need to do some minimal paint repair. I am new to ceramic coatings and want to make sure I don't do something that will be difficult to repair if I screw it up. I have a Griots orbital and polish using Meguiars Products. I know how to clay as well. I've read and watched your How To on ceramic coatings. I've also read multiple reviews and started to dig into the forums. I've gotten a little confused but think that I've narrowed things down to the Pinnacle Black Label or the CQuartz Lite. The PBL states it will last much longer than the CQuartz Lite (2yrs vs 6mos) but the CQ Lite seems like its the easier of the two to apply.

Can you give me the pros and cons of each and give me a recommendation. Thanks.
    I have used both. I will start off by don't buy into the whole how long it lasts. In most cases you are going to need to polish 1-2 years down the road unless the car is garage kept.

PBL is one of the easiest coatings to use. As Mike mentioned, it is slicker compared to other coatings.

As far as CQ Lite. It is new to the market so you won't get long term durability as of yet. I have a review on it to showcase its ease of use. Also don't worry about the longevity. CarPro states on the bottle 6+ months and have even mentioned that it will last longer. I have that info in my review thread.

If you want to try something new then give CQ Lite a try. If you want something that has been out for some time then go with PBL.

5. Thanks Avi@CarPro thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered the PBL and will post some pics when complete.

7. Likes Maxreed241 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PBL Surface Coating or Paint Coating?

Enjoy either way!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the kit with Paint Coating, along with the glass and wheel coatings. What is the difference between the surface and paint coatings? Opinion on which is a better product?

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the kit with Paint Coating, along with the glass and wheel coatings. What is the difference between the surface and paint coatings? Opinion on which is a better product?
    Surface can be used on paint/wheels/glass. More comes in a bottle, and seems to be able to be used as a repair/topper on top of existing PBL coatings (Mike P uses as such). It’s marketed as lasting as long but from what I’ve heard it doesn’t last as long as the dedicated ones when used as standalone.

I have all 4 PBL coatings now but haven’t used paint or Surface yet, so can’t weigh in. For those serious about the coating experience, I think the kit you bought is best, and I view the Surface as a topper/renewer on roids.

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with the Pinnacle paint coating is it gives a lot of good feels applying it but was decimated quickly here by winter brine mix; didn’t last as long as just Collinite.

If you live somewhere where the weather is perfect or you just drive the car in Sundays - I’m sure it will be fine.

12. Thanks MomNPop thanked for this post