autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Do I need a special polish before applying a ceramic coating?

I'm new to ceramic coatings but not to polishing. I usually use Meguiars polishes with a Griots orbital. I plan on applying a ceramic coating soon. Most of the info on ceramic coatings call to use that brand's polish before the ceramic coating. I understand the paint must be free of any oil/wax/etc before the ceramic is applied.

Could I use a Meguiars polish (M205), then use something like the CarPro Eraser to clean surface, before applying ceramic? Or do I need a non-abrasive polish, from the brand of ceramic I am using for the best finish?

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Do I need a special polish before applying ceramic coating?

I'm new to ceramic coatings but not to polishing. I usually use Meguiars polishes with a Griots orbital. I plan on applying a ceramic coating soon. Most of the info on ceramic coatings call to use that brand's polish before the ceramic coating. I understand the paint must be free of any oil/wax/etc before the ceramic is applied.

Could I use a Meguiars polish (M205), then use something like the CarPro Eraser to clean surface, before applying ceramic? Or do I need a non-abrasive polish, from the brand of ceramic I am using for the best finish?

Thanks.

Mike Phillips

Re: Do I need a special polish before applying a ceramic coating?

Any quality polish will work.

AFTER polishing though you must chemically strip the paint to remove polishing oils so the coating can make a proper bond.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do I need a special polish before applying ceramic coating?

Absolutely. The key is to clean the paint well before coating and you mentioned that.

It is always best, in my opinion, to stay within the product family but Eraser works well if you don't,

Mike Phillips

Just to note to the OP

You created 2 threads in different forum groups. I merged them together.

No reason to create 2 threads for identical topics. It causes confusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MSTucker View Post

Thanks again.
    Most coatings recommend their own products to stay with the product synergy as the products are made to work with each other. Now that does not mean another brands polish can not be used. Many have done it and continue to do it with no ill effects.

So to answer your question, yes you can use M205. I would recommend a couple of prep wipes to ensure the oils are removed from M205.

7. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a pic of the 86.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do I need a special polish before applying a ceramic coating?-toyota-86-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Not to get too tangential but Mike P showed us one of the panel wipe processes at a show car detail I attended last year.

Take your preferred panel wipe product and a BUNCH of shorter nap MF towels. Spray the panel until the fluid is just about to drip i.e. liberally. Wipe with CLEAN MF towels and dry.

Then take a fresh towel and spray a spritz or two on the towel and wipe that panel again.

To me, THAT was a complete surface cleaning and I would challenge anything to remain on the paint after that.

Ever since seeing that from Mike, I do it every time with my favorite...CP Eraser. It gives me confidence the panel is ready for coating.

10. Likes Maxreed241 liked this post