autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like

    Ceramic coating over protective film

    Just had xpel protective film put on my car and want to coat it with ceramic coating. Any thoughts? I've put ceramic coating on other parts of the vehicle already. As I understand it the xpel film is not very slick so the coating does this and also helps protect the film to some degree. I'm wondering about the edges of the film... should I go over them with the coating? I'd think that might help seal them a little. I do understand that the film is mils thick and the coating is about 1/4 mil.

  2. #2
    Senior Member The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    6,062
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ceramic coating over protective film

    Sure you can coat it. CarPro and GTechniq offer a dedicated PPF coating.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ceramic coating over protective film

    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Sure you can coat it. CarPro and GTechniq offer a dedicated PPF coating.
    Thanks. I read your review on Carpro's product:

    Review - CarPro Skin PPF & Vinyl Wrap Coating

    Thanks for posting that review.

    Was a little strange that the removal solution that they speak of is not on the market and you need to call and speak to them about this (if someone were to call, they could no simply post the response?)

    I would look at buying Skin but I already have some CarPro Quartz UK 3.0. I can't see spending another $75 for the skin product when I have such little use for it. I do like that it is available and it seems like a good product... it is just a money thing.

    Would you use Quartz on the exposed edges of the film? I'd think it might help protect them from lifting. But I'd also worry a little about it cracking (ceramic coating) in some way.

    On a side note, I was apprehensive about spending so much money on film. But not only do I like that the front end is now protected, it has a very glossy look to it. It also hid some of the minor imperfections.

    Ceramic coating over protective film-20190610_190618-jpg

  4. Likes The Guz liked this post
  5. #4
    Senior Member FUNX650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    19,804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ceramic coating over protective film

    •Applying an “outsider’s” Coating
    on XPEL’s PPF that’s on my vehicles
    is a no-go!

    I’d rather use XPEL’s recommended
    products to maintain their PPF.

    •And, if I may appropriate a phrase:
    “Think of the Warranty...”


    Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

  6. #5
    Senior Member The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    6,062
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ceramic coating over protective film

    Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post
    Thanks. I read your review on Carpro's product:

    Review - CarPro Skin PPF & Vinyl Wrap Coating

    Thanks for posting that review.

    Was a little strange that the removal solution that they speak of is not on the market and you need to call and speak to them about this (if someone were to call, they could no simply post the response?)

    I would look at buying Skin but I already have some CarPro Quartz UK 3.0. I can't see spending another $75 for the skin product when I have such little use for it. I do like that it is available and it seems like a good product... it is just a money thing.

    Would you use Quartz on the exposed edges of the film? I'd think it might help protect them from lifting. But I'd also worry a little about it cracking (ceramic coating) in some way.

    On a side note, I was apprehensive about spending so much money on film. But not only do I like that the front end is now protected, it has a very glossy look to it. It also hid some of the minor imperfections.

    Ceramic coating over protective film-20190610_190618-jpg
    A coating is not thick enough to fracture. It will fade over time. It is not going to help keeping the edges from lifting. The adhesive of the film is doing all the work there.

    A coating can be used. Many folks do it. Don't let anybody else sway you on not coating the film. To my recollection there has never been any issues with coating PPF.

    I coated the xpel PPF on my headlights. They still look fine.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ceramic coating over protective film

    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •Applying an “outsider’s” Coating
    on XPEL’s PPF that’s on my vehicles
    is a no-go!

    I’d rather use XPEL’s recommended
    products to maintain their PPF.

    •And, if I may appropriate a phrase:
    “Think of the Warranty...”
    According to Xpel's own FAQ, you can apply Ceramic Coating over their film. They mention no issues with the warranty. They go on to mention that it won't stop the self healing properties of the film. If the coating is thick it may need to wear away and then the film will self heal. That is, the coating won't remove that ability to self heal.


    Xpel mentions that Ceramic Coating can add a protective layer to their film. I also know that high end detailers (I almost hate to say that) apply a coating over film with no issues.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ceramic coating over protective film

    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    A coating is not thick enough to fracture. It will fade over time. It is not going to help keeping the edges from lifting. The adhesive of the film is doing all the work there.
    I have to keep reminding myself of thickness... film being about 8 mils and coating being about .25 mils.

    I went with Xpel which people say is very glossy but does not have as good of hydrophobic properties as other films. This is one reason why I wanted to coat it. Well, that and I like trying new things.... and I can "brag" a little about coating the film.

  9. Likes The Guz liked this post
  10. #8
    Senior Member FUNX650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    19,804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ceramic coating over protective film

    Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post
    According to Xpel's own FAQ, you can
    apply Ceramic Coating over their film.

    They mention no issues with the warranty.
    They go on to mention that it won't stop the
    self healing properties of the film.

    If the coating is thick it may need to wear away
    and then the film will self heal. That is, the coating
    won't remove that ability to self heal.

    Xpel mentions that Ceramic Coating can add a
    protective layer to their film. I also know that
    high end detailers (I almost hate to say that)
    apply a coating over film with no issues.
    •XPEL has their own PPF “Coating”.
    -That’s why I originally said the following:

    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •Applying an “outsider’s” Coating
    on XPEL’s PPF that’s on my vehicles
    is a no-go!

    I’d rather use XPEL’s recommended
    products to maintain their PPF.
    RE: ‘XPEL’s PPF Warranty’
    •You, and the high-end detailers, can apply
    any LSP, including Coatings, that you want
    on XPEL’s PPF without causing/noticing any
    immediate damages...but that doesn’t make
    one immune to what may occur to the PPF
    during the remainder of the Warranty’s 10
    year time-frame that’ll void said Warranty.

    -I’m not, willingly, going to take that chance.



    Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

  11. #9
    Senior Member The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    6,062
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ceramic coating over protective film

    It would not surprise me if tinge x pel coating is rebottled from something else.

    I also believe it has to be installed by an xpel personal. Which of course means more money. Some don’t want to spend that additional money when they can do it by themselves.

    Let us know how it works out.

  12. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
  13. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ceramic coating over protective film

    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •XPEL has their own PPF “Coating”.
    -That’s why I originally said the following:



    RE: ‘XPEL’s PPF Warranty’
    •You, and the high-end detailers, can apply
    any LSP, including Coatings, that you want
    on XPEL’s PPF without causing/noticing any
    immediate damages...but that doesn’t make
    one immune to what may occur to the PPF
    during the remainder of the Warranty’s 10
    year time-frame that’ll void said Warranty.

    -I’m not, willingly, going to take that chance.
    Where are you getting that information from? Is that from Xpel? I reviewed what they put online about the warranty and basically it just states they would determine if the film failed or not. The warranty is with the consumer/customer so if this verbiage were to limit the warranty, I'd think they would give this info to the customer as well.

    I certainly understand Xpels point of view on this but they would need to show that the ceramic coating caused the damage, not just that it was applied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 3m Door Edge Film and ceramic coating.
    By BudgetPlan1 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-23-2016, 09:08 PM
  2. Protective film over diamond plate problem
    By Randy Jan in forum Ask Mike Phillips your detailing questions!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2014, 11:38 AM
  3. XPEL protective paint film?
    By SR99 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-10-2013, 10:22 AM
  4. Claying rocks!!!! Beware of protective film though
    By MPCIII in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-02-2013, 08:01 PM
  5. need help removing paint protective film
    By snook1 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 11:10 PM

Members who have read this thread: 32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» June 2019

S M T W T F S
262728293031 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 123456