autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Pads: Recommendations, cleaning/maintenance and quantity for daily driver?

I am looking for recommendations on pads for my GG 6" DA polisher. Pads and products that I'll be using below:

Compound: GG Fast Correcting Cream -or- Meguiars 110 -or- Menzerna MC-2400
    Pads:
    (3) Lake County Flat 5.5" Orange PadsPolish: GG Perfecting Cream -or- Meguiars 210 -or- Menzerna SF-3500Pads: (2) Lake County Flat 5.5" White Pads

Sealant/LSP: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant -or- Sonax PNS
    Pads: (1) Lake County Flat 5.5" Black Pad

The questions I have are:

Have I chosen the right pads for the products that I'll be using?
    What is the most economical and effective way to clean and maintain my pads?
    Do I have enough pads for detailing my daily drivers twice per year?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pads: Recommendations, cleaning/maintenance and quantity for daily driver?

Based on this resource I would suggest getting more compounding pads - Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on the paint on those two daily drivers.
    I have a Silverado truck with hard paint, and my wife has a Toyota Highlander with soft paint.

A pad and polish combo that works well on her Toyota, won't do a thing to the hard clear coat on my truck.

I use more orange pads than anything on the hard paint on my truck. If your DD's have harder paint, you're going to need more orange (cutting) pads.

If your DD's have hard paint, I'd maybe even look into moving to mf pads rather than foam.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    I am looking for recommendations on pads for my GG 6" DA polisher. Pads and products that I'll be using below:

Compound: GG Fast Correcting Cream -or- Meguiars 110 -or- Menzerna MC-2400
    Pads:
    (3) Lake County Flat 5.5" Orange PadsPolish: GG Perfecting Cream -or- Meguiars 210 -or- Menzerna SF-3500Pads: (2) Lake County Flat 5.5" White Pads

Sealant/LSP: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant -or- Sonax PNS
    Pads: (1) Lake County Flat 5.5" Black Pad

The questions I have are:

Have I chosen the right pads for the products that I'll be using?
    What is the most economical and effective way to clean and maintain my pads?
    Do I have enough pads for detailing my daily drivers twice per year?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    I wish there was one "magic wand" answer for you, but sadly there is not.

You make it a little harder to answer by not mentioning the make/model of car/truck, and with all the "this or that's".

All of the products you mentioned are great choices, but you will never truly know until you start with your mildest combo (pad/product) with a test spot, then move up in increments from there until you find that "sweet spot".

Any questions after that, and there are no shortage of AGO members to guide you to the next step.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mengelhardt View Post
    It all depends on the paint on those two daily drivers.
    I have a Silverado truck with hard paint, and my wife has a Toyota Highlander with soft paint.

A pad and polish combo that works well on her Toyota, won't do a thing to the hard clear coat on my truck.

I use more orange pads than anything on the hard paint on my truck. If your DD's have harder paint, you're going to need more orange (cutting) pads.

If your DD's have hard paint, I'd maybe even look into moving to mf pads rather than foam.
    How do you know if your paint is hard or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    How do you know if your paint is hard or not?
    As PaulMys mentioned above.... use a test spot to determine if you have soft or hard paint.

If a mild combo can correct it, it's softer paint, harder paint will take a more aggressive approach to achieve correction.

Post Thanks / Like

One note for sure... you don’t have enough pads. You should probably have 6 of the pads that you plan to use for your whole car.

I’ve gotten to the point that I use orange pads for most work, so get more orange. As someone mentioned, a couple microfiber would be good too.

Your products are good. One note on the fcc... I loved it for a while, and recently I have experienced some dusting. Not sure why, but I’m less enthusiastic about using it now. I really want to try Menzerna FG400 compound but I don’t have an immediate need.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post