autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Polish/Compound/AIO Recommendation: Good cutting ability, easy workability, easy wipe-off, good finishing

I've got some M105 and M205 sitting in my garage from years ago but I want to give something else a try. M205 was great but I always found M105 on the difficult side to work with. It was difficult to wipe off and didn't have the best workability. For this job, I'll be detailing a sepang blue pearl 2015 Audi and using a 6" Griots DA random orbital.

What products and pads would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish/Compound/AIO Recommendation: Good cutting ability, easy workability, easy wipe-off, good finishing

Not a fan of M105 either - at least on an orbital. It's great with wool pads on a rotary.

I switched to M100, but even that can get dusty.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish/Compound/AIO Recommendation: Good cutting ability, easy workability, easy wipe-off, good finishing

The new Meguiars twins work great. 110 and 210. Minimal if any dusting. Menzerna works great too HC400 and SF3800. No dusting but a bit oily to remove. A panel wipe will clean it right up. Griots FCC and Perfecting Cream is also sweet. 3D Speed for an AIO.

LC 5 inch flat orange and white pads will work well unless it's really hammered and you need a MF or wool pad.

This 2019 RAM was with the Menzerna.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

4. Likes cullen2505, dlc95, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna SF-3500.... the latest iteration of what others in this forum as a great all-around polish. You can use cutting, or polishing pads depending on the amount of correction required. Megs is SMAT technology vs. Menz's DAT.

If you have deep swirls then MC-2400 would be the next aggressive step, practically speaking.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really liking the Griots Boss polishes, they just perform with a long working cycle and ease of use. You really can't go wrong with any of the latest products from Meguiars,Menzerna or Sonax. My favorite one step is still Megs d300 as it finishes down nicely on all but the softest solid black paint

7. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Menzerna SF-3500.... the latest iteration of what others in this forum as a great all-around polish. You can use cutting, or polishing pads depending on the amount of correction required. Megs is SMAT technology vs. Menz's DAT.

If you have deep swirls then MC-2400 would be the next aggressive step, practically speaking.
    Is the way to determine if you need a compound vs a polish to start with a test spot with the least abrasive product first and see if that removes the defects from the paint? And if it doesn't, move to a more abrasive product?

Are there specific pad types that better match to SMAT tech vs DAT?

Post Thanks / Like

Griots polishes are super easy to use and effective

Post Thanks / Like

Griots BOSS Polishes are great. With the BOSS system, between the pads and creams their isn't much you can't tackle. Can't forget 3D One with LC flat pads, very well rounded compound/polish with a forever buffing cycle and zero dusting. For and AIO 3D Speed or BlackFire One Step. Both of these are great AIO's, long buffing cycles, good correcting ability, and minimal to no dusting.

Post Thanks / Like

First DAT is a marketing term, it's not real. Second Menzerna 400 is probably one of the most versatile compounds available. It cuts and finishes down nicely on most finishes

12. Likes opie liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    First DAT is a marketing term, it's not real. Second Menzerna 400 is probably one of the most versatile compounds available. It cuts and finishes down nicely on most finishes
    One of the few people i talk to that works in the industry told me FG400 was his go to compound.

But Billy are you trying to blow people's heads up!? DAT is not real!?

I really don't know for sure lol but i did geek out on that stuff a few years ago. Still don't know much of anything about it.

I did watch the 3D founder talk about it with Mike just recently. But honestly that stuff doesnt interest me anymore. He was explaining some of technical processes they do to change the structure of the raw material that in mined from the ground. I did learn 3D one was intended specially for detailers not body shops that was more important to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast