autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Iron X

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Iron X

I have attached a few photos. Would an iron x removal help out at all? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Iron X-156aeb76-6336-4458-ab4d-fb46695a370e-jpg   Iron X-44a446bf-3f94-4a19-a2ff-140e8b9bd38b-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iron X

Nope!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What would you recommend? It’s a 10 year old Kansas truck. I realize it’s not going to be perfect but it doesn’t look the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Iron-X is for dissolving imbedded iron particles on paint.

What you have there is rust-through. Also, the second pic looks like rust forming underneath and pitting in the chrome.

Not really any products out there that will help with this, short of a repaint.

What are your goals with the truck?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

In the first picture it can help with desolve the rust. It can be a could of applications to get it look like bare metall. This is if it's not to much of rust to desolve. Iron remover is quite weak to desolve a lot of rust. There may be a rust eater in a autoparts store that would be a better choice. Then it's much of what you are wanting to get to. You need to be stopping it to rust more after the rust is gone.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    In the first picture it can help with desolve the rust. It can be a could of applications to get it look like bare metall. This is if it's not to much of rust to desolve. Iron remover is quite weak to desolve a lot of rust. There may be a rust eater in a autoparts store that would be a better choice. Then it's much of what you are wanting to get to. You need to be stopping it to rust more after the rust is gone.
    Thanks for the reply the rust spots aren’t bad if I can get them gone then I can touch it up with a paint pen. I have never used an iron x on the truck so I think I’m going to purchase McKee’s.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think IronX will help.
    But I guess it's worth a shot trying it.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrandenG1 View Post
    Thanks for the reply the rust spots aren’t bad if I can get them gone then I can touch it up with a paint pen. I have never used an iron x on the truck so I think I’m going to purchase McKee’s.
    Use a q-tip to aggitate it gently after application of the iron remover. And let it dwell as long as possible before rinsing it off and aggitate halfway through.

The problem is often that the metall it self is damaged. So even if you use the touch up pen it would not last very long. The best would be if you could get a very thin layer of a self etching primer in the dot. And when it's cured you apply the touch up pen. The problem is to do this as thin as factory paint. So it will be a little raised against the original paint. If you have the mindset to it would not be perfect it's doable.

Even if it's not a hughe rust spot it can be deep and wide under the paint. The longest fix is to repaint the panel and what's needed to be done for the rust not coming back. So it's hard to say how long this fix would last. Everthing from 6 months and up. Since you don't have a good sight of the metall underneath the paint. A little trial and error with this fix to avoid a repaint a little longer.