autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishes to use with HydroTech Pads

Can someone explain to me what kinds of polishes are for use with a Lake Country HydroTech pad vs the CCS pads???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishes to use with HydroTech Pads

Quote Originally Posted by charlestek View Post
    Can someone explain to me what kinds of polishes are for use with a Lake Country HydroTech pad vs the CCS pads???
    I would say you can use any good quality polish with either type of pads. No reason not to.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that one type of foam is made to not absorb oily polish so as to keep the polish on the top of the pad, instead of migrating into the pad. Similarly, the HydroTech does this for water based polishes????

4. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Idk maybe someone else will chime in. What polish were you wanting to use?

Post Thanks / Like

That's the thing. I have many meguiar's polishes that seem to have meguiar's special oils to help the paint. This is just for my car, I do this as a too expensive hobby. This is for a slightly used 2017 Accord I got with 6k after a slow speed accident that totalled a previous 2017 Accord I bought new. I am worried that the dealer compounded off too much clear. I've been checking with a paint meter I have, but I need to get the calibration routine perfected, as it will apparently calibrate from averages of a number of points using calibration foils. Unfortunately this car is black, I didn't want black, but it was hard to get this model (Sport SE) used. I also probably am going to use Meguiars 105/205 both which appear to be water based with no oils. Recently, I bought two large bottles of Meguiars #82 Swirl Free polish that is on the very low abrasion side, as I had had an older black 2003 Maxima which I did polish with 205/105 and wound up getting spider cracks in the clear coat, as the dealer must have messed up the paint, as I bought that car used with 32k miles from a woman that garaged and babied it.

I have a bottle of Menzerna Power Finish which I think is water based. I also got some Optimum Hyper Polish just in case, because lastly I am going to use Optimum gloss coat, but the optimum people were insisting that the gloss coat is not greatly compatible with the Meguiar's oil based polishes. Finally, I purchased some Griot's (forgot what it is called) compound because the Autogeek detailers were complaining that Meguiars 105 made too much dust, which I do seem to remember. I have no idea until I start on the car, exactly what polishes will work.

Post Thanks / Like

Scholl S40 is nice with crimson hydrotech.

While I think it was the blue hydrotech that coined the term 'hydro-shred' but I've never had any issues with tangerine and crimson.

At one time, and maybe still a valid point, the closed cell structure of the hydrotechs lent itself well to DAT liquids as they did not soak into the pad much, making working through the cycle more efficient.

Conversely, using dimpled pads with DAT stuff is thought by some to be counter-productive in that the dimples keep releasing fresh polish to the pad surface making working thru the cycle with a DAT polish a longer excercise to break it down fully for a finer finish.

Dunno, read it here on AG a few years ago; guess it could all be theory or marketing.

:shrug:

8. Dislikes fightnews disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently ??? people are migrating away from the older Meguiars polishes to the newest 105/205 for some specific reason.... I don't have enough experience to know why.

Post Thanks / Like

They work great with just about any compounds and polishes out there.

They don't have much inherent cut on their own, but really work the abrasives of whatever liquids you choose.

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

dlc, I think you need some gold chains around your neck in the new avatar....

I wish I could get a few cars from the junkyard to practice on. Hmm, maybe I need to offer my neighbor "free detailing".....

Of course, non of you guys "practice" on your customer cars? Am I right

13. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlestek View Post
    dlc, I think you need some gold chains around your neck in the new avatar....
    He's not into "bling". Just Polishing Pads and drums.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

15. Likes dlc95 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast