autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

new newbie - front bummer detail

Hi folks, i'm new to car detailing, i have been reading a lot of information for about 3-4 weeks.

My question is what products and process should i do on a 2016 camry front bumper? Simple with results.

So far i used mother's speed clay on the hood and bumper, maguirs cleaner wax 06 - topped up with quik spray wax and collinite 845.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new newbie - front bummer detail

What do you use on the rest of the car? Go ahead and do the same to the bumpers. I assume they are painted the same as the rest of the car.

The only time I consider anything different for bumpers is when I'm correcting that paint with my rotary. They are most likely plastic panels and wrinkling or burn through is easier on those materials. I don't do anything different if using my DA.

Post Thanks / Like

You’re going to need 1 of these boars hair brushes.

Use it during your bucket wash [preferably at the end] by having it sit in the soapy water from the start, then when you’re ready to clean the grill grab your soapy mitt and your soapy brush and hold the mitt over the grill as you go across the honeycomb quickly brushing it all clean.

Then start your hose rinse with the grill and as you’re done rinsing the entire vehicle use a spray & rinse product of your choice [for example Mckee’s Hydro Blue] and spray & rinse the protection on.

Once you’ve done that begin your drying process at the grill using an air dryer like the Metro Sidekick Blower in order to fully dry every nook & cranny leaving it perfect & spotless and shiny as heck along with the rest of the front bumper.

That’s my starters advice to detail your 2016 Camry.

[if that honeycomb grill on those Camrys happens to be a matte kind of plastic instead of gloss black then substitute Meguiars D4510 Plastic & Vinyl Coating [aerosol can] for the spray & rinse product]

And if your Camry doesn’t have the honeycomb grill you should still use 1 of those brushes to clean it because it’s a big difference maker. Good luck.

4. Thanks noorth thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

Use it during your bucket wash [preferably at the end] by having it sit in the soapy water from the start, then when you’re ready to clean the grill grab your soapy mitt and your soapy brush and hold the mitt over the grill as you go across the honeycomb quickly brushing it all clean.

Then start your hose rinse with the grill and as you’re done rinsing the entire vehicle use a spray & rinse product of your choice [for example Mckee’s Hydro Blue] and spray & rinse the protection on.

Once you’ve done that begin your drying process at the grill using an air dryer like the Metro Sidekick Blower in order to fully dry every nook & cranny leaving it perfect & spotless and shiny as heck along with the rest of the front bumper.

[if that honeycomb grill on those Camrys happens to be a matte kind of plastic instead of gloss black then substitute Meguiars D4510 Plastic & Vinyl Coating [aerosol can] for the spray & rinse product]

And if your Camry doesn’t have the honeycomb grill you should still use 1 of those brushes to clean it because it’s a big difference maker. Good luck.
    Is there a link for these cheap. I need one to clean around my lugs on the truck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    Is there a link for these cheap. I need one to clean around my lugs on the truck
    You can find it on the bay...

7. Thanks MrOneEyedBoh thanked for this post
    Likes MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    What do you use on the rest of the car? Go ahead and do the same to the bumpers. I assume they are painted the same as the rest of the car.

The only time I consider anything different for bumpers is when I'm correcting that paint with my rotary. They are most likely plastic panels and wrinkling or burn through is easier on those materials. I don't do anything different if using my DA.
    I did use the megs 06 just never worked that well. Maybe i will try some bug remover product.

Thanks

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

thanks, i have 2 simple questions.

Does spray nine damage rubber tires or the cars clear coat?

Would you use an IPA solution after using a cleaner wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    thanks, i have 2 simple questions.

Does spray nine damage rubber tires or the cars clear coat?

Would you use an IPA solution after using a cleaner wax?
    I’ve heard of Spray Nine but I’ve never used it, so I can’t comment on how it works on tires or whether it damages the rubber in the long run... As far as using it on clearcoat? I don’t think I’d use it on paint. Maybe in a pinch, but if a vehicle is that dirty I have a couple different automotive bug removers on my shelf which are safe and effective.

As far as doing an IPA wipedown after using a Cleaner Wax? No. That’s a bad idea because by doing an IPA wipedown you’ll be trying about as hard as you can to not only remove the wax portion of the cleaner wax, but you’ll also be trying hard to remove any polishing oils which are a big reason the vehicle looks so good when you’re done using a cleaner wax.

If you do an IPA wipedown after polishing your vehicle with a cleaner wax you’re pretty much doing all that work only to try your hardest to undo it all with that wipedown.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh, ok, bug removal issues. I like many of the specific bug removers from AG. I use them with a bug removal sponge. In a pinch I use diluted APC's.

I get as much of the bugs off with maybe 2 go arounds, if heavy or stubborn. Then I clay the remaining bits and pieces.

I also use APC on those honeycomb grills with a brush as Eldo mentioned.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys, this car detalling stuff is addicting!