autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Newb needing some assistance

Newb needing some assistance

Newb here...I used the DA (2nd or 3rd time using DA) to buff my ‘15 Acura TLX last Sunday and I’m now starting to see my buffing trail on the hood.

The size of the trail is almost the same size as the 5.5” white chemical guys pad and it follows the same pattern I performed on the hood.

Products used were the

1. Chemical Guys White Logic Quantum Pad,
    2. DPC Flash Pro AIO,
    3. HF DA with speed around 5 if I remember correctly.

Car was washed, decon’d with CarPro Iron-x (clay was not needed, did it approx 6-7 weeks ago), stripped using Duplicate-Color wax remover, washed again to take anything left off the car.

I finished the car with DPC Armor....car looked spectacular!

Car was in the garage, temp in garage was probably around 80-85 and typical Houston humidity at 100% per the weatherman that morning before the wash.

Wash was out of direct sunlight. I did use a LC Orange pad on other parts of the car that seem to look fine now, the hood looked good prior going over it, there were only a few minor blemishes that I wanted to correct.

I did use a small (cheap) light to inspect my work after each section and I did not notice any trails at the time, it only appeared starting Wednesday it seems.

I’m sure my technic is to blame but now it’s time to clean up/fix as this is driving me bat poo crazy!

As for a test pass, I performed this on the trunk as this is what I was concentrating on, doing the hood was a bonus.

I would appreciate any input on how to fix this as well as advice on how to prevent it again. I can’t post any pics at the moment as the sun is going down.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Mike Phillips

Re: Newb needing some assistance

What you are describing is called,

Micro-marring

It can be caused by a number of thing like,

Pad - Too aggressive for the paint.

Product - The abrasive technology used.

To troubleshoot you would need a clean, uncontaminated pad and a product known to use great abrasive technology.

I tell people all the time the MOST important factor when it comes to polishing paint is the abrasive technology.

Most people say it’s technique. I disagree - but what do I know?

Mike Phillips

I’ve never used the product you mentioned - I looked it up and the description says it will remove #1500 grit sanding marks. That’s pretty aggressive to finish out with for most products unless they truly use great abrasive technology.

So I would recommend switching to a different product and see if that fixes the micro-marring problem.

Most retail auto parts stores carry Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish - get either one of these, or order them from Autogeek.com if you want to support this customer service forum, then place a tape-line down the middle of one of these trails and do 6-8 section passes. Wipe-off and inspect and COMPARE to the side you used the other product I call this trouble shooting.

Very important to use a fresh pad- cannot have been used with the other product.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never read or heard about DPC, and the pads you have are not widely recognized as some of the "best". But I can tell you that Lake Country flat pads are amazing.

And, although Mike has already mentioned it...... You need a proven product. One sold here on AG.

Are you dead-set on an AIO? I really like 3D Speed (formally HD Speed).

How about a straight up polish? I have had great results with HD (3D) polish+, and Griot's Correcting Cream.

Just my two pennies......
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Mike Phillips

You send me your product and I’ll send you a product I know will finish out perfect.

Autogeek.com
    C/O Mike Phillips
    7744 SW Jack James Drive
    Stuart, FL 34997

6. Likes PaulMys, BillE, Goonie75, fightnews liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the input. The “white” pads were not my first choice at all but it available to me at the time. My first choice were the LC pads but they were unavailable to me last weekend as I was in the mood to knock it out...it was my birthday present to myself (29 for the 24th time)...not having wife nagging to go do something!

I guess being impatient has cost me and multiple lessons have been learned so far!

Going forward, I am very open to any product, polish, AIO, etc...as well as pad choice (currently have LC Orange and Black). Being inexperienced and with so many choices, it’s very overwhelming to say the least and any input is greatly appreciated.

Jay

I

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    Thank you for the input. The “white” pads were not my first choice at all but it available to me at the time. My first choice were the LC pads but they were unavailable to me last weekend as I was in the mood to knock it out...it was my birthday present to myself (29 for the 24th time)...not having wife nagging to go do something!

I guess being impatient has cost me and multiple lessons have been learned so far!

Going forward, I am very open to any product, polish, AIO, etc...as well as pad choice (currently have LC Orange and Black). Being inexperienced and with so many choices, it’s very overwhelming to say the least and any input is greatly appreciated.

Jay

I

That's what we are here for, Jay.

No question is "dumb". We are here to help.

Keep rocking!

9. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    You send me your product and I’ll send you a product I know will finish out perfect.

Autogeek.com
    C/O Mike Phillips
    7744 SW Jack James Drive
    Stuart, FL 34997

Wow! It’ll be in the mail tomorrow or Monday! You want SIO2 too? Newb needing some assistance

I’ve been following AG for a few months now, ever since I bought my TLX, it’s very refreshing to see how inviting the community is to ask any type of questions without ridicule. It’s also very cool how everyone is constantly helping each other, you typically don’t see the amount help you get on AG compared to any other forums in this industry or any other industry.

I’ve always tried to support companies/people that have helped me in what ever I’m doing...and I’ve got to say AG is the Best In Class from the Community and my previous shopping experience!

I have learned so much from AG and I’m so grateful for everyone’s help.

Thank you
    Jay

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I won’t be able to ship until Monday - so no hurry.

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    Wow! It’ll be in the mail tomorrow or Monday! You want SIO2 too? Newb needing some assistance

I’ve been following AG for a few months now, ever since I bought my TLX, it’s very refreshing to see how inviting the community is to ask any type of questions without ridicule. It’s also very cool how everyone is constantly helping each other, you typically don’t see the amount help you get on AG compared to any other forums in this industry or any other industry.

I’ve always tried to support companies/people that have helped me in what ever I’m doing...and I’ve got to say AG is the Best In Class from the Community and my previous shopping experience!

I have learned so much from AG and I’m so grateful for everyone’s help.

Thank you
    Jay

I agree with your assessment about other forums. Almost all of them are just full of hate spewing.

AGO is prided on the opposite.

I will gladly answer a question asked a million times before (if I can), because I was once in the same predicament of not really knowing how to proceed with certain things.

15. Likes Eldorado2k, Paul A. liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast