autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newb needing some assistance

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I have never read or heard about DPC,
    Dallas Paint Correction. Selling his own line of products now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As Mike mentioned proberly the AIO plus is to coarse for your paint. The white CG hex-logic pad could work with a less coarse polish. But the LC pads are highly recommended pads here so a suitable one of those would be great to test out.

4. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Tony and I'm sure that whatever Mike sends to you is a finer abrasive to flatten out that marring and smooth the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Buh-bye....

Now that I’m preparing for my next chapter, I would typically assume pad choice of a LC blue and/or white based on a lot of opinions on AG but I’m going to rely on y’alls opinions and experience since my judgement doesn’t have a good track record! I have quite a few LC Orange and few of the Black normal 5.5” pads with a LC 5” backing plate. I found LC has quite a few different series of 5.5” pads, trying to figure out what is best is a challenge as the opinions are wide ranging.

The paint, minus the maring, looks pretty good, there are very little swirls just straight line micro scratches. I’m finding the Black Pearl Acura paint is very “sensitive” to anything(!), think something negative about the car and poof a micro scratch!

Again, I can’t thank the community enough for all of the help. I just hope someone else will read this in the future and to keep them from making the same mistake.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post

Buh-bye....

Now that I’m preparing for my next chapter, I would typically assume pad choice of a LC blue and/or white based on a lot of opinions on AG but I’m going to rely on y’alls opinions and experience since my judgement doesn’t have a good track record! I have quite a few LC Orange and few of the Black normal 5.5” pads with a LC 5” backing plate. I found LC has quite a few different series of 5.5” pads, trying to figure out what is best is a challenge as the opinions are wide ranging.

The paint, minus the maring, looks pretty good, there are very little swirls just straight line micro scratches. I’m finding the Black Pearl Acura paint is very “sensitive” to anything(!), think something negative about the car and poof a micro scratch!

Again, I can’t thank the community enough for all of the help. I just hope someone else will read this in the future and to keep them from making the same mistake.

Jay

No, you didn't make a mistake. What you did was got some experience. Big difference. A real mistake would be not learning from it. Nobody grabs a polisher and becomes a Mike Phillips overnight. Doesn't work that way unfortunately.

8. Likes PaulMys, Paul A., rangerbay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I agree with your assessment about other forums. Almost all of them are just full of hate spewing.

AGO is prided on the opposite.

I will gladly answer a question asked a million times before (if I can), because I was once in the same predicament of not really knowing how to proceed with certain things.
    And, just to give this a bump..... Telling a newbie "This topic had been asked a million times, do a search" is not helpful.

Some new guys don't even know that is an option.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes Paul A., AaronE liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Buh-bye....

First - sorry for the delay. I was injured while in Texas and have been out off the office until today.

Please send me your shipping address and I will ship out a product that will undo the micro-marring. Here's my e-mail,

mike.phillips@Autogeek.net

Mike Phillips

Now that I’m preparing for my next chapter, I would typically assume pad choice of a LC blue and/or white based on a lot of opinions on AG but I’m going to rely on y’alls opinions and experience since my judgement doesn’t have a good track record!

On Facebook I see most of the experts recommending cutting pads. My guess is they've never seen micro-marring caused by too aggressive of a pad on paint that couldn't handle a cutting pad when doing a single step to the paint using any AIO when the AIO was not the culprit.

Just a guess but I've seen a lot in my life and usually type what I know, not what I guess.

Check out this articled I wrote last year about this time,

Good rule of thumb when using an AIO - stick with foam polishing pads by Mike Phillips

It's much meatier than anything you'll ever find in a FB post and also much easier to read due to the ability to format text on a forum, something you cannot do on FB.

I always recommend doing a Test Spot to a car FIRST and carefully inspect the results. Then based off the results, choose the appropriate pad for THAT paint. Some paints micro-mar or SCRATCH easier than other paints but you won't know until you do some testing.

Chemically stripping the Test Spot
    If you really want to know what's going on at the surface level when doing a Test Spot you should chemically strip the area of paint you did the testing to. Use Mineral Spirits or some other form of paint-safe solvent to dissolve and remove any polishing oils. In the case of testing with a cleaner/wax, some of you refer to a cleaner/wax as an AIO or All-in-One, because a cleaner/wax is leaving protection behind the wax will tend to do a better job of sticking to the paint and potentially masking any micro-marring inflicted by the product or the pad or both.

I am not sure what the best paint-safe solvent would be for dissolving and thus removing any wax or sealant used in an AIO but when I worked at Meguiar's I always noticed real chemist used Mineral Spirits that you can purchase at places like Home Depot, Lowe's and Ace Hardware.

Be careful who you get your information from, so many experts out there now days.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike! I've been on the forums this morning looking at different product reviews and I was just about to go the article "Good rule of thumb when using an AIO - stick with foam polishing pads by Mike Phillips" when I noticed you posted!! I'll be placing my order later this morning or this afternoon for new Pads as well as your book.

Again, thank you very much.

Jay

Mike Phillips

Thank you Mike! I've been on the forums this morning looking at different product reviews and I was just about to go the article "Good rule of thumb when using an AIO - stick with foam polishing pads by Mike Phillips" when I noticed you posted!! I'll be placing my order later this morning or this afternoon for new Pads as well as your book.

Again, thank you very much.

Jay

Check your PMs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast