autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 303 stained my headlamps?

Quote Originally Posted by IceQube View Post
    No one is forced to use plastic over glass.
    Wrong...nowadays OEM customers
    have no choice, at least in the U.S.
    See:
    -Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
    -The US National Highway Traffic
    Safety Administration

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Is there a vehicle made today that’s
    sold in the USA with glass headlights?
    GMC Savana.
    ^^^Wrong.

The 2017 Chevy Express commercial van
    was the last OEM holdout to use sealed
    beam headlights in the U.S.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I meant no OEM is forced to make their lamps with plastic. FMVSS 108 doesn't require glass or plastic. As a consumer, you're correct--we don't really have much of a choice when it comes to glass or plastic.

The GMC Savana is the Chevy Express with a different badge.

Post Thanks / Like

The GMC Savana is the Chevy Express
    with a different badge.
    But the last one to roll off the line
    was the Chevy Express.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

4. Likes IceQube liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For someone who seems to know a whole heck of alot about headlights...... How the heck did you wind up in this situation?? Lol.

6. Likes derek0609, Jon TDS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s horrible. This is a big letdown... For 1, if plastic are so much cheaper to produce, then why do Corvette headlights cost almost $2,000 dollars to replace? There’s alot more but that alone is worth an outrage.
    I think it has been addressed, but development costs are a big part of it and the small number which are sold. They aren't simply a lump of plastic. A huge amount of work goes into designing the reflective elements and optics of the assembly alone to ensure it puts out a good/legal light pattern within the constraints of the design (shape, size, etc). You can also factor in mark-up by the manufacturer based on the vehicle fitment. The actual HID lamp's aren't that expensive, but the entire HID assemblies are expensive, no matter what vehicle they go into. I believe the assembly in my GTI would run 800-ish if they were ever damaged in a wreck.

Vehicles running projector halogen assemblies like what's in our Mazda3 and Highlander probably wouldn't me much cheaper due to the optics and the design of the assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    i'm wondering too how much my hid's and/or led's improve longevity over the traditional halogens of yesteryear.
    From my experience they last FAR longer than halogens. I've had halogen bulbs 2~3 years before they burn out, but that seems to be the longest I've ever gone. The OEM xenon HID's in my car are over six years old and still going strong with no hint of issues. Something you also have to remember is over time halogens will eventually get dimmer. HID's don't suffer this same problem at the same rate. They'll most likely fail totally rather than grow dimmer.

I don't know about the lamp-hour expectancy in HID/LED vehicle headlights, but the gas lamps and LED's used in concert lighting fixutres are rated at thousands and tens of thousands of lamp-hours.

Automotive HID lighting is dead and gone. The funeral occurred years ago. Today's and yesteryear's LED systems have left even the best HID systems in the dust.
    From a technology standpoint very true, but automakers continue to product vehicles with terrible headlights using halogen bulbs and assemblies. Some try to hide it behind projector beam housings rather than really old school reflectors, but they are halogen none-the-less. I think headlights are one of the last places automakers will still try to cust costs and go cheap. I was actually quite proud of Toyota making LED's standard on their lowly Carolla several years ago.

Bottom line is that even today's advanced LED lamps won't last indefinitely. Longer than older lamps, yes. The heat generated by LEDs isn't sent out in the same direction as the light. It's sent out in the opposite direction. So the heat generated by LEDs shouldn't reach the lens very well, which will increase lens lifespan, but still, UV rays will degrade the lens.
    I think many automakers are putting the heat sink for HID's and LED's at the back of the assembly so the heat is ventilated out under the hood instead of into the assembly to prevent this problem. I can't remember the car I looked at (Lexus maybe?) that had a rather sizeable heat sink which held the bulb and then attached to the back of the assembly to deal with the heat.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    does anyone know if they changed how they make headlights? I've had issues with headlights on my pre 2000's cars but all my newer cars have never had more than regular megs gold class soap and they all still look new. I see guys spending hours and hundreds of dollars on their headlights and I just don't get it.
    I think it depends on where the lenses are coming from. I can only speak to personal experience, but my Japanese cars started to fade whereas my German car (VW, nothing special) still looks as clear as the day it was purchased new. No idea how they differ other than possible material quality.

My Japanese cars which are fading are a 2010, 2012, and a 2013. All started to fade at about the 5 year point despite having and LSP applied since I purchased them. I know polish them 2x a year to keep them clear.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

For someone who seems to know a whole heck of alot about headlights...... How the heck did you wind up in this situation?? Lol.
    My lamps were already just slightly degraded on the outside, but I didn't want to shell out $1300 per side for new lamps, so I put some 303 on them hoping to eek out a little more lifespan. The new lamps blow the old ones out the water due to new internals as well as a new exterior lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Vehicles running projector halogen assemblies like what's in our Mazda3 and Highlander probably wouldn't me much cheaper due to the optics and the design of the assembly.
    Probably not much cheaper for you (consumers), but they are certainly cheaper for the automaker, as they don't involve complicated and expensive ballasts and igniters.

From my experience they last FAR longer than halogens. I've had halogen bulbs 2~3 years before they burn out, but that seems to be the longest I've ever gone. The OEM xenon HID's in my car are over six years old and still going strong with no hint of issues. Something you also have to remember is over time halogens will eventually get dimmer. HID's don't suffer this same problem at the same rate. They'll most likely fail totally rather than grow dimmer.
    Halogens tend to blow before getting much dimmer, but the long-life halogen bulbs that OEMs use tend to last way longer than their useful lifespan. The long-life type bulbs used by OEMs are like 100+ year old people--they're supposed to have expired a long time ago, but they keep creeping along at reduced mental/physical capacity. I replace all my OEM halogens with high-performance aftermarket halogens for much better performance at a small cost.

HIDs are even worse than halogens in terms of outlasting their useful lifespan. Old HIDs may only be at 60% of their original output, but they'll still turn on. This is not a good thing. The worn out, oxidized electrodes are further apart than they originally were when the bulb was new. This puts extra strain on the HID electronics to ignite the lamp. Better to replace a bulb than to replace the electronics.

From a technology standpoint very true, but automakers continue to product vehicles with terrible headlights using halogen bulbs and assemblies. Some try to hide it behind projector beam housings rather than really old school reflectors, but they are halogen none-the-less. I think headlights are one of the last places automakers will still try to cust costs and go cheap. I was actually quite proud of Toyota making LED's standard on their lowly Carolla several years ago.
    The old Corolla's halogen lamps were quite good, but the LEDs are on a different planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I think many automakers are putting the heat sink for HID's and LED's at the back of the assembly so the heat is ventilated out under the hood instead of into the assembly to prevent this problem. I can't remember the car I looked at (Lexus maybe?) that had a rather sizeable heat sink which held the bulb and then attached to the back of the assembly to deal with the heat.
    Many Toyotas, such as the Corolla, come with actively cooled LEDs. They're transitioning away from that toward solid-state cooling for even greater reliability.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive me if it’s already been mentioned, but what kind of car is this?

Post Thanks / Like

2012 IS350c.

13. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast