autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Opti-Bond still a relevant tire dressing?

I started using Optimum Tire Coating and so far I like it. I dream of a day where every client of mine decides to buy that upgrade

For my personal vehicles, coating is the only way for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    It’s ok. I went through a bottle of it. Kinda greasy. Pretty much all “dressings” last 2 rain drops IME.
    You get two rain drops? You lucky son of a gun Optimum Opti-Bond still a relevant tire dressing? I barely even make it just one.

To the OP: I think all water based dressing will be about as durable as each other. So I just use the one that smells the best to me (VRP) and apply it more often now. I’m still trying to get the optimum tire coating to work out for me, but haven’t had any luck as of yet.

Hyper dressing, PERL, and VRP all look and last the same imo. They just smell different. Hyper dressing and VRP smell so good it makes me wanna eat them. PERL smells like putrid garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I started using Optimum Tire Coating and so far I like it. I dream of a day where every client of mine decides to buy that upgrade

For my personal vehicles, coating is the only way for me.
    Do you know how it compares to Tuf shine? Cost, ease of use and durability?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Do you know how it compares to Tuf shine? Cost, ease of use and durability?
    I have never used Tuf shine so I cannot compare. OTC is very easy to use. Just use a tire applicator and spread it. Takes about 30 seconds to do a tire. The hard part is always the prep, especially if silicon dressing was used. So far I have had 2 customers who I sold the coating job to and I could not do the tires. The last one had Armor All Gel on his tire... used Meguiar's Non-Acid Wheel cleaner at 3:1 4 times on them and could not remove it. Then I pulled out the heavy gun: Mineral Spirit on a cotton rag... again, cleaned it twice and it looked and felt just like it did because started working on the wheel. I am guessing the other client i had to abort on had the same dressing on...

But for all the other tires, just clean well and apply. Very easy.

As far as durability, I don't know. Just started using the product so I have no reference. I did a double layer coat on the wheels of my work van. So I will be able to monitor it. It's been a week now and the van has not been washed since application. I did a full polishing and application of Crystal Serum Light so tomorrow is the first day I can wash it. I don't expect it to have failed by then

I think Yvan Lacroix mentionned 6 to 12 months of durability. Probably very similar to the other coatings.

In terms of cost, I think it's pretty good. A bottle cost me 21 CAN$ and you can barelly notice a change in the level of liquid in the bottle after doing a set of wheels. I am guessing I can do like 20 vehicles with 1 bottle.... so cost wise, it's great.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel is still a very popular tire dressing.

Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel, Tire gel protectant, OPT Tire Dressing Gel, protect tires, optibond tire gel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I found Duragloss 253 to actually hold up pretty well. If exposed to rain for several days or driven on a long trip in pouring rain it would certainly diminish, but would still be noticeably on the tire. Far more durable than Opti-Bond.
    I get pretty good durability out of 253 as well. And it seems to build up over time. I've also had great luck with AA Extreme Gel. Both make it through a couple of drives in the rain. Optibond washes off while parked just like hyperdressing. But hyperdressing looks so much better.

7. Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The hard part is always the prep, especially if silicon dressing was used. So far I have had 2 customers who I sold the coating job to and I could not do the tires. The last one had Armor All Gel on his tire... used Meguiar's Non-Acid Wheel cleaner at 3:1 4 times on them and could not remove it...
    It's interesting that you mention this. I once tried D143 at 3:1 to try and save some product, but found that it's cleaning power on tires was severely reduced. I went back to 2:1 after that. I find that it works great on wheels and tires at that dilution.

9. Likes Eldorado2k, Calendyr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derass View Post
    It's interesting that you mention this. I once tried D143 at 3:1 to try and save some product, but found that it's cleaning power on tires was severely reduced. I went back to 2:1 after that. I find that it works great on wheels and tires at that dilution.
    Same here. I saw no difference between 1:1 and 2:1 [2 parts water 1 part concentrate] but when I tried 3:1 it fell completely off the cliff.

2:1 is the sweet spot. Economical too.

11. Likes Calendyr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derass View Post
    Ok, will give it a try next time I refill. At 3:1 I typically see browning melting off without even touching. So far I think that this product is really good for cleaning tires. I purchased P&S Breakbuster so I will be using that one rimms soon. I can't remember if Breakbuster works on tires too.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, will give it a try next time I refill. At 3:1 I typically see browning melting off without even touching. So far I think that this product is really good for cleaning tires. I purchased P&S Breakbuster so I will be using that one rimms soon. I can't remember if Breakbuster works on tires too.
    I'm also a 143 user at 2:1 so far it has been my favorite tire cleaner. I also have brake buster coming tomorrow, if I was a betting man I would think it would be on par with 143 however if I'm not mistaken the dilution is 4:1 so you double the product..again these are just words since I don't even have it yet

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12