autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Linting Microfiber Towels

Ok, so the bad news is that my girl dried my microfiber towels with these wool dryer balls she insists on using...

The worse news is that all my TRC Eagles, and standard are linting like crazy.

Are they salvageable, or do I need to order new rags?

They are currently in the washing machine with microfiber wash, and vinegar. Lint trap is cleaned, and the dryer has been wiped down.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Linting Microfiber Towels

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Ok, so the bad news is that my girl
    dried my microfiber towels with these
    wool dryer balls she insists on using...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

3. Likes dlc95, Belo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...with some use, they should get better, except, maybe not the glass towels, at least the ones used for the inside of the windshield might always show some residual wool fibers linting.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

5. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

U sure they weren't linting before? I got a bad batch of eagles when they first came out. I'm sending them back I just gotta email them and let them know what is going on.

7. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My view has been that nearly all microfiber towels, especially the long, plushie piles will lint a bit while being broken in. According to my experience, I see linting drop off to near zero levels after a few cars worth of exercise.
    Honestly, the wool ball may have not added much linting capabilities at all, if I'm picturing a tightly-woven ball, and that many medium to thick plush piles lint regularly until broken-in.
    If you think that I have your situation all wrong, then I would fill a 5 gallon bucket and dunk the towels to rinse them as much as I could. Maybe even lay them out on grit guards and hit them with a pressure washer. I would hate to downgrade EET to engines, wheels, etc.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

9. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    My view has been that nearly all microfiber towels, especially the long, plushie piles will lint a bit while being broken in. According to my experience, I see linting drop off to near zero levels after a few cars worth of exercise.
    Honestly, the wool ball may have not added much linting capabilities at all, if I'm picturing a tightly-woven ball, and that many medium to thick plush piles lint regularly until broken-in.
    If you think that I have your situation all wrong, then I would fill a 5 gallon bucket and dunk the towels to rinse them as much as I could. Maybe even lay them out on grit guards and hit them with a pressure washer. I would hate to downgrade EET to engines, wheels, etc.
    I have to respectfully disagree. Especially when talking about eagles. I happen to have a strange microfiber addiction. I'm always using new eagle towels. the 600's and 500's.

There was a bad batch when the new eagle 500's first came out. I heard this right from the rag company. I got some of them but they got mixed in with my good ones. None of them lint at all and then bam I get one thats unusable from lint on the first use.

Ive pulled out 6 of them so far but I'm talking about over a year or so's time.

I don't think there is any way to fix a towel that lints on first use. I want to send mine back because those 6 towels are like 30 bucks.

11. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    U sure they weren't linting before? I got a bad batch of eagles when they first came out. I'm sending them back I just gotta email them and let them know what is going on.
    They might have been.

My oldest Eagles were linting so badly I tossed them in the trash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    Possibly. I only save those for very critical situations, not the typical wash & cleaner wax type jobs.

I will definitely try some of the methods you detailed.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife did the same to my microfiber towels. All I did was re wash them in hot water with a micro detergent and they were good as new. Never had any issues with linting.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

15. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn... was gonna suggest vinegar but you're already on it.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

17. Likes dlc95 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast