autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying to accomplish first ever one step polish, am I using the right pads/product?

So in short, going to do a:
    1.) thorough wash with ONR
    2.) clay using clay disk using adam's swirl killer da polisher plus by hand in tricky areas.
    3.)wash again with onr, thoroughly dry.
    4.) one step polish using sonax cut and polish with sonax red da cutting/finishing pads. SONAX Red Dual Action Hard Cutting Pad
    5.)Remove polish using iso. check results

Probably do one last wash/dry and then seal using sonax ceramic.

Are those the right pads to use with a one step compound? Do I need to follow it up with say a finishing pad like sonax yellow pads?
    SONAX Yellow Dual Action Polishing Pad - 165 mm

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trying to accomplish first ever one step polish, am I using the right pads/product?

Quote Originally Posted by sayitaintsoap View Post
    So in short, going to do a:
    1.) thorough wash with ONR
    2.) clay using clay disk using adam's swirl killer da polisher plus by hand in tricky areas.
    3.)wash again with onr, thoroughly dry.
    4.) one step polish using sonax cut and polish with sonax red da cutting/finishing pads. SONAX Red Dual Action Hard Cutting Pad
    5.)Remove polish using iso. check results

Probably do one last wash/dry and then seal using sonax ceramic.

Are those the right pads to use with a one step compound? Do I need to follow it up with say a finishing pad like sonax yellow pads?
    SONAX Yellow Dual Action Polishing Pad - 165 mm

Thanks
    Pad really depends on paint hardness and polish cutting abilities.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trying to accomplish first ever one step polish, am I using the right pads/product?

Quote Originally Posted by wgasa84 View Post
    Pad really depends on paint hardness and polish cutting abilities.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    It's an '04 black mercedes ML500. Bought used from previous owner who left it outside for 2 years not used and took it to auto car washers when he did use it. Swirls, scratches, water spots. Not trying to do a 100% correction or even a 90%. Just want to touch it up a bit and dress it up with a good sealant. It's a daily driver.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no right answer to what combination will work well for a one-step polish. To build off the other response, to be successful you have to find the right pad and polish combination which works well with vehicle's paint.

On my Japanese cars with soft paint, a medium polishing pad with a finishing polish is all I need, though I have found some finishing polishes work better than others. On my German car with hard paint, I use a medium polishing pad with a mild-ish compound. If I use a medium polish/swirl remover, I have to step up to a more aggressive cutting pad for it to work.

The wide range of variables is why Mike Phillips always teaches the concept of a test spot. It's best to try a couple different combinations to see what delivers the results you're after.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    There is no right answer to what combination will work well for a one-step polish. To build off the other response, to be successful you have to find the right pad and polish combination which works well with vehicle's paint.

On my Japanese cars with soft paint, a medium polishing pad with a finishing polish is all I need, though I have found some finishing polishes work better than others. On my German car with hard paint, I use a medium polishing pad with a mild-ish compound. If I use a medium polish/swirl remover, I have to step up to a more aggressive cutting pad for it to work.
    Since it's a german car, I'd have an affinity towards sonax since they are german based. I was going to use their green medium pads but it doesn't say DA in the name like their other pads. Wasn't sure if those were meant for a rotary?
    SONAX Green Medium Polishing Pad 160 mm
    Polishing Foam Pads

Post Thanks / Like

I've always used Lake Country DA pads and have no idea regarding the ones made by Sonax. I don't know if I've even seen anyone talk about the Sonax pads here.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

As other mentioned it's hard to tell without a test spot. The polishing pads from Sonax is great. And on harder to medium paints the red DA Hard Cutting pad is useally leaving a nice finish.

Have not used my Sonax Cut and Finish yet but would think it's close to Menzerna HC400. The combo of HC400 compound and the Sonax Red DA Hard Cutting pad I used on a trashed SS paint with heavy oxidation and swirls and scratches. This is what the test spot looked like the first and only I did. I did also try another combo which gave the same results but are not sold on AGO. The polisher where a 21mm longthrow polisher. 5 passes on this section. And think it worked great and was LSP ready after this step. But not perfect in any way but the clear finish was there.

What polisher do you have?

If you have both the Red and Yellow Foam Pad from Sonax. Try a test spot with the yellow foam pad and Cut & Finish. If not enough defects removal step up to the Red DA Hard Cutting pad. And if the more aggressive combo not gives you a clear finish either stick with the less aggressive combo or do a second step to get the finish you want. But I would get something like Sonax Perfect Finish or EX 04-06 to get the best possible finish.

8. Likes The Guz, dlc95, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I suggest you read Mike's book, it's really good and covers your questions in detail.

10. Likes milesvdustin liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    I suggest you read Mike's book, it's really good and covers your questions in detail.
    what book? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used any of the products you mentioned but have read through the descriptions of all. Without direct experience I usually hold back on posting however given what you're working with, I will share my approach.

An older, weathered and hammered Mercedes paint might just need something a bit aggressive. I've done quite a few of those! However, I still and always do a few test spots just to nail down what will work best on THIS paint TODAY.

I would do a test with the Sonax Cut and Finish with the yellow pad first then carefully inspect the results under GOOD lighting. If you find you want a little more "bite", try another test spot with the red pad and carefully compare.

Then, to fully see what looks best, run the yellow pad with Cut and Finish again over the red pad test area. Any better? Nope? Just do the 1 step.

13. Likes noorth liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast