autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Protective coating for new windshield and new painted bumpe Any recommendations?

Hi everyone,
    I’m new to this forum and to car detailing. I bought a 2018 Mustang last year and installed CarPro Cquartz UK 2.0 on the paint. I liked how the paint maintained a new look and the clear coat had very few micro scratches you can only see in the right angle in the sun. The color is Kona Blue metallic and scratches stand out. About a month ago, someone rear ended me lightly. The rear bumper was replaced and painted. Part of the repair work included a free detail.

The car looked great, but after driving in the sun the next day, I noticed the windshield had many spider web type scratches, the side mirror glass and windshield also had many scratches, enough to limit my vision if the sun hit it right. Also the paint had the same. Prior to the detail, there were a handful of minor spider web like micro scratches in the paint, glass, and side mirrors had none. They also waxed the car and the dust just sticks to the car now. It always appears dirty.

The windshield had virtually no scratches before the detail and after looked like someone took scotch brite to it when the sun hits it. Long story short, a rock cracked the windshield and I’m installing a new one. What coating is recommended to reduce or prevent scratches and pitting in the future?

Also, what can be done to the glass side mirrors and the body paint? The bumper has fine swirl scratches also. Do I have to polish the whole car and will those scratches ever come out? I already bought wax stripper to remove it from the whole car and will recoat with CQuartz again. I assume if I don't fix the scratches before this, they will always be there.

Thus is a daily driver, not a show car. I just want to have it look good with minimal cleaning effort like I had it before the detail job.

Thanks,
    Tim

Mike Phillips

Re: Protective coating for new windshield and new painted bumpe Any recommendations?

Sorry to hear you received the normal hack work from a body shop - you get the same treatment from most dealerships.

There are now film available for the outside of the windshield to protect them - I don’t know much more.

Google or as I like to call it,

Skynet

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protective coating for new windshield and new painted bumpe Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim McCreary View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I’m new to this forum and to car detailing. I bought a 2018 Mustang last year and installed CarPro Cquartz UK 2.0 on the paint. I liked how the paint maintained a new look and the clear coat had very few micro scratches you can only see in the right angle in the sun. The color is Kona Blue metallic and scratches stand out. About a month ago, someone rear ended me lightly. The rear bumper was replaced and painted. Part of the repair work included a free detail.

The car looked great, but after driving in the sun the next day, I noticed the windshield had many spider web type scratches, the side mirror glass and windshield also had many scratches, enough to limit my vision if the sun hit it right. Also the paint had the same. Prior to the detail, there were a handful of minor spider web like micro scratches in the paint, glass, and side mirrors had none. They also waxed the car and the dust just sticks to the car now. It always appears dirty.

The windshield had virtually no scratches before the detail and after looked like someone took scotch brite to it when the sun hits it. Long story short, a rock cracked the windshield and I’m installing a new one. What coating is recommended to reduce or prevent scratches and pitting in the future?

Also, what can be done to the glass side mirrors and the body paint? The bumper has fine swirl scratches also. Do I have to polish the whole car and will those scratches ever come out? I already bought wax stripper to remove it from the whole car and will recoat with CQuartz again. I assume if I don't fix the scratches before this, they will always be there.

Thus is a daily driver, not a show car. I just want to have it look good with minimal cleaning effort like I had it before the detail job.

Thanks,
    Tim
    I agree with Mike that you got a hack job from the body shop.

Anyway there is no coating that is going to prevent pitting. Like Mike mentioned there are now clear film for front glass for that. A glass coating will help you keep the glass clean and make it easier to wash.

For the side mirrors, the way to fix it is to replace the mirror. The coating on the mirror is thin so it does not take much to scratch them.

Sounds like you will need to polish the paint regardless prior to applying the paint coating.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Sounds like you will need to polish the paint regardless prior to applying the paint coating.
    Any suggestions for the polish I should use and how to apply it? Should I use an orbital or hand polish? I live in Arizona and many cars show thinning and peeling clear coat. My ultimate goal is to preserve as much paint as possible, but the scratches just bother me too much.

The bumper was the only item freshly painted, the rest of the body is factory original paint. Should I treat the bumper differently? It has been about 5 weeks.

Understand that the “Detail Job” here was pretty good if you looked from an average person’s perspective. And many outside this forum would have thought it to be wonderful. From a detailer’s perspective though, I agree that it was a quick and dirty job. I believe they passed the buffer over all the car, including the glass and paint everywhere. How else would these surfaces get scratched so much. I owned this car 10 months and barely had any visible scratches in the paint and none on the glass.