autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Measuring clear coat ? is it possible ?

I know that there are devices that'll measure paint. But what about the thickness of clear coat ? Owned my two black VW's since new. Both 2018's. Anyway I did an initial paint correction after delivery from the dealer. 18 months or so ago, and ever since then i've been cleaning on a weekly basis and waxing and sealing every few weeks.. (hey i enjoy it) i can probably start to see some 'very' fine hairline scratches in the direct sun. I have all the MF cutting pads / compounds / polishes and an MT300. However i plan on keeping these cars for a few yrs. I'll probably pass at least one of these cars to my kids, since they're coming to that age ! Given these are very fine scratches we're talking about and are only visible in direct sunlight.

I live in the blistering heat and sunshine, aka the Sunshine state !!! so would like to weigh up if its worth it to remove that ever so slight amount of clear coat to satisfy my own OCD !

I'd really like to do a test on a panel and measure what gets removed. if that's even possible.

I know its sort of an impossible question to truly answer given the variants, but how many paint corrections can a pro detailer do on a customer he knows, and knows he's the only person who's worked the paint and assume he's still in the safe zone.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Measuring clear coat ? is it possible ?

Minimal clear coat is used in the door jambs. You could take the highest reading there and compare it to what's on the outside of the vehicle. I say highest to be conservative. Base coat is probably a little thinner there as well, I would guess anyway.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

You may have a ton of clear, the issue is the top.5 mils which is where the UV protection is. There is a PTG that claims to be able to measure each layer, but after talking with people who have used it, they say it’s not accurate.

4. Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

High end paint gauges can measure each layer. I have no idea how they do that but they can tell you how much clear you have. From what I understand, you can expect to pay thousands of dollars for those. I personnaly see very few scenarios where it would make sense to buy one. Only situation I can see would be a detailer working on priceless cars on a regular basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    High end paint gauges can measure each layer. I have no idea how they do that but they can tell you how much clear you have. From what I understand, you can expect to pay thousands of dollars for those. I personnaly see very few scenarios where it would make sense to buy one. Only situation I can see would be a detailer working on priceless cars on a regular basis.
    There was one member who used to be on here, Docshine and he had a meter via software on his laptop that could do microscopic analysis. It was thousands of dollars.

As mentioned above, common sense and rule of thumb have to apply. Taking a measurement of the door jamb is a base line of “how low it can go”

Next, do a VIF on your own car and take three measurements of each panel. File that away as reference.

I wouldn’t go crazy looking at every little scratch on the vehicle…. If you have not done a ceramic coating, the car is a great candidate for AIO. Annually go over the car with an all in one, and your favorite sealant. keep it simple...

Now not having a PTG is IMO a risky gamble for those doing paint correction, especially on customer cars.

As me I mentioned above, you can use the PTG to analyze the paint and get measurements to see what your working with in conjunction to the door jams.

New factory paint should be 4-6 mils and if I don’t see much of a variance between the door jam and the actual paint readings, I know I have to go exceptionally light and conservative. Again, a polish /AIO candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes PaulMys, sudsmobile, Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn’t know some of this, glad I read. Learned something new today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes sudsmobile liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    You may have a ton of clear, the issue is the top.5 mils which is where the UV protection is. There is a PTG that claims to be able to measure each layer, but after talking with people who have used it, they say it’s not accurate.
    Not sure where you heard this but it’s incorrect.

UV inhibitors are distributed evenly through the entire clear coat.

The further you cut through the clear, the less inherent UV inhibition it has until you reach UV absorption and the base begins to degrade.

11. Likes DarkThrottle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The underside of the hood I think mostly is just primer and base coat and not any clearcoat a bit from the edge where it's useally blended with clearcoat. Or it's a very thin clearcoat on it. So much is to compare the readings from underside of the hood or door jambs. To the measure on the paint and remember to take on every panel as even a new car this can be a difference from panel to panel.

There are very expensive ones that can read the layers of different paints thickness. But also some vehicals modells have panels made of different material. As steel and aluminum and plastic and carbon fiber. So if you want to have a paint thickness gauge that measures on different material it's also often more costly.

Post Thanks / Like

OP here. Thanks for the replies. Good to know all this. I will get a PTG and measure under the hood and door jambs then compare with each panel on the car.

OK next question. What is a good reliable PTG that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm just a weekend warrior. So thousands is out of the question. But a few hundred bucks, for a lifetime of measuring paint over my current and all future vehicles, I'm very open towards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post
    OP here. Thanks for the replies. Good to know all this. I will get a PTG and measure under the hood and door jambs then compare with each panel on the car.

OK next question. What is a good reliable PTG that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm just a weekend warrior. So thousands is out of the question. But a few hundred bucks, for a lifetime of measuring paint over my current and all future vehicles, I'm very open towards.
    Don’t bother about the underside of the hood, most vehicles have no clear at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast