autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What brushes to acquire/what can do dual purpose?

Trying to restock some supplies and thinking about brush collection. More specifically, what kind of basic brushes I should shoot for and more importantly, which can run dual purpose? If I get the wheelie brush for the wheels - do I go with a second one for the engine compartment or can the one brush do double duty? How about the wheel brush for doing wheel well cleaning, should those be two separate brushes or again can I double down with one and just rinse out thoroughly? Undercarriage (suspension, frame, etc) own brush or again double duty with another? Attempting to not go overboard on this purchase.

Thinking new wheel brush, tire brush (drill attachment style), body brush for the bigger stuff like cowl/bed rails/jambs/etc and then a smaller detail brush for around emblems and handles and what not (personal/family fleet is 2015 f150 screw, 2003 Silverado CC, 2005 A4, 2016 Tacoma CC, 2005 Grand Cherokee, 1994 Silverado).

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What brushes to acquire/what can do dual purpose?

That's quite the fleet you got there. I use 1 brush for rims. 1 brush for tires. 1 brush for wheel wells and engine since u only do engine not often.

1 brush for trim also.

I have a bunch of brushes I cycle through but that's the breakdown for me. Sometimes I'll use a trim brush on windows but not in the same wash.

Anything like that is cross contamination. Always try to avoid that

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    That's quite the fleet you got there. I use 1 brush for rims. 1 brush for tires. 1 brush for wheel wells and engine since u only do engine not often.

1 brush for trim also.

I have a bunch of brushes I cycle through but that's the breakdown for me. Sometimes I'll use a trim brush on windows but not in the same wash.

Anything like that is cross contamination. Always try to avoid that
    Should note that's parents/brother/me/wife, definitely not all mine but we tend to have "larger" vehicles.

Noted though, thank you. Kind of a tough call for what constitutes true cross contamination in the dirtier parts of the car (engine/wheels/tires/wheel wells/etc).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speez View Post
    Should note that's parents/brother/me/wife, definitely not all mine but we tend to have "larger" vehicles.

Noted though, thank you. Kind of a tough call for what constitutes true cross contamination in the dirtier parts of the car (engine/wheels/tires/wheel wells/etc).

Ya I guess it goes by wash habits. My rims are clearcoat so I do that separate. My trim is pretty clean so I use a cleaner brush. Wheel wells and engine is just the brush I dont like cuz they are dirty but dont get cleaned much.

The rubber tires I consider the dirtiest thing that gets washed regularly so that's the dirtiest brush. Sometimes I'll hit the wheel wells with that.

Mike Phillips

Here's what I recommend,

For engine detailing and wheels

Speed Master Wheel Brush

For wheels - I mostly use the big one but they only come as a set.

Speed Master 3 Piece Wheel Detail Kit

Love this brush. Use it for wheels, engine compartments, intricate stuff like grills. If you wash it well after use and keep the bristles clean you can use it inside for things like the dash, vents, around the steering column, etc.

Wheel Woolies Boar’s Hair Wheel Brush

Lug nut barrels, around valve stem, gas cap area, nooks-n-crannies

Large Multi-Purpose Brush

For fenderwells, the back of the hood when doing engine detailing and the engine compartment

Mothers Fender Well Brush

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a combination of them:
    Wheels/Tires: Yes - they all get used.....
    Wheel Woolies - 3 Brush Kit - Although Mike listed the SpeedMaster - which is similar
    Famous Detailing Brush
    EZ Detail Mini
    Mothers Wheel Brush
    Mothers Detail Brush Kit
    Lug Nut Brush = I don't have - but need - so thanks for reminding me to add to the wish list for the next order...

Exterior Detail / Trim:
    Mothers Detail Brush Kit - These are Handy for a lot of purposes and relatively inexpensive
    Famous Detailing Brush

Fender Brush:
    Older One - Similar to Mothers: Mothers Fender Brush

Interior:
    Famous Detailing Brush - I don't use brushes much for interior - but repurposed a spare Famous for that

All kept separate and noted for purpose to keep cross contamination at bay - but yeah brushes are an item you forget about - but need a few....

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, thought I had responded again but thanks for the feedback guys. Need to pick up a few of those large multi brushes for smaller spaces but otherwise picked up a couple mother's brushes for the undercarriage and fenders, speedmaster for engine and wheels, etc. Given that 4 of the vehicles are lifted to some extent I tend to clean the dirtier, usually less visible areas a lot more than most.