autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Attach Foam Cannon to DIY Coin Car Wash?

I am going to go with the iK Foam 9. Thanks for the suggestions. I wish there was an an adapter to use a foam cannon at a car wash, but this will do when I don't want to bucket or no-rinse wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rage3324 View Post
    I wish there was an an adapter to use a foam cannon at a car wash
    Yeah, as mentioned before, the car wash isn't going to want or allow you to take apart their pressure wand to attach your own accessories.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    The small one is just too small. Only decent for wheels. The iK Foam 9 is much better to cover more surface but you’ll still have to pump a bit for an entire car.
    I just fill a bottle with water and soap and refill the smaller bottle. Saves $70.

Post Thanks / Like

You can do a touchless wash without it to foam too. Don't get me wrong I like to use the foamcannon and do so always at home when washing either touchless wash or when bucket bucket washing. IME the prewash foam or the prewash product that I use for a touchless wash is the important part as it needs to be effective enough to desolve the road film without being aggitated. The foam part is to be it able to dwell longer than when useing a product I spray on with a pump pressure spray bottle.

How does it look at the coin-op where you do your washes in if it's a shaded area or if you live where it's mostly high temperature there?

Actually if a prewash foam product is effective enough it's not needed to be foamed. Sounds crazy I now but again it's how effective it's to desolve the road film and other dirt that is the important part. On the offerings on AGO I think it's a couple of products you foam on that's is effective and there is more products that is not marketed as a prewash foam but would work good to foam with it to and is degreasers that are alkaline based degreasers. The prewash foam I would try out with the iK9 Foamer would be Gyeon Foam and gtechnic w4 citrus foam and Griots Garage BOSS Foaming Surface Wash. And actually most Bug and insects removers that is alkaline based and not those that is bug and tar remover is effective to desolve the road film too and can be foamed. The bug and tar removers is either based on a petroleum or an emulssion of petroleum. The first will not foam so good but that's is why they don't mix with water as what's the benefit with the emulssion that is able to be diluted. If you read the product description of the Gtechnic W4 Citrus Foam it's noted it can be used in a spray bottle as a degreaser. And also most citrus based degreasers is very effective to desolve the road film and other dirt a little wider than the more common like an APC. Cause it's also so that different kind of chemicals desolves different kind of dirt and contaminants. And it's not black and white but more that how effectively it's desolving it. As an APC you would not been able to desolve a water spot but with an acidic based wheel cleaner it will be done as most of the water spots removers is acidic based or have embedded acids in the solution. Why it's good to know a little about this is to dial in what chemicals will work with the kind of dirt and contaminants you have on your car. As for me during the winter months here in Sweden when the road salt is high on the roads and we have a lot of vehicals on studded winter tires that combo gives you a very high amount of tar on the lower side panels and the back of the car. And the prewash foam is not able to desolve these any good. So needed to be followed up by a tar remover. Some citrus based degreasers is able to desolve the tar. But if you are useing a citrus based degreaser that gets it effective to desolve the tar it's going to be too strong as in Citrol 266 and make a big hit if not remove all of your LSP. Most synthetic waxes and sealants is solvent resistant so you can use a tar remover that is petroleum based on the tar. And just spraying it on and PW clean rinsing it off.

You have the new Carpro MultiX and 3D Orange 88 citrus degreaser that I think would work good as a touchless wash with a pump pressure spray bottle or spray bottle. Most APC will work too but you want one that is also easy to clean rinsing it off and don't leave much of the surfactans left and clogg your coating. There is also the benefit with a great prewash foam that's it clean rinsed great off with the PW. And is an important ability to have when touchless washing.

Prewash foam has been more popular for a longer time here in the EU. So we have a larger options available to us here as the customers will have products that's doing it's thing effective. Griots Garage BOSS foaming surface wash is a great step to the US companies that see the important to have effective prewash foam available. Most that is like the prewash foams made in the US is actually just a high foaming car soap. The downside with great prewash foams is that they are not cheap. And even if effective to use as touchless washing it's needed to be haveing a touching wash every 4th wash or so. As the most effective cleaning ability is from aggitations when doing the touching wash. This is when you wash weekly or every other week.

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    The small one is just too small. Only decent for wheels. The iK Foam 9 is much better to cover more surface but you’ll still have to pump a bit for an entire car.
    Yeah I stopped using it because I never even go to the coin op. I wash at home IDK why I thought I would need it. It was just 1 of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time.
    I love the IK multi sprayers though that's all I use now.

If I ever need to go back to coin op washing I will pick up that big foam sprayer you are talking about because I did notice the other one was 2 small. And I used it on a small audi never mind my suv

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post
    I just fill a bottle with water and soap and refill the smaller bottle. Saves $70.
    But the amount of pumping you’d have to do is crazy. The big one will last much longer before it loses pressure. With the small one I could do one wheel and maybe that same wheel well. With the big one I can do all 4 wheels and wheel wells. And still have pressure left.
    Bruno Soares

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Yeah, as mentioned before, the car wash isn't going to want or allow you to take apart their pressure wand to attach your own accessories.
    I totally get it. I am curious if an adapter exists to connect the cannon to the pressure washer tip as-is. That would be awesome

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rage3324 View Post
    I totally get it. I am curious if an adapter exists to connect the cannon to the pressure washer tip as-is. That would be awesome
    If they have a spring loaded quick-connect on the tip, (which I doubt they do) then you could absolutely do it.

Just don't get caught. Lol

And, yes..... It would be awesome for someone in your situation.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes rage3324 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12