autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions on alternative MF towels for wax/sealant and polish removal

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Griots has a wax removing PFM that is amazing.
    ^^^ This. ^^^

After using these for a few years now I have no need to try others. Not inexpensive, but if that doesn’t bother you I’m sure you would not be disappointed.

Griots Garage PFM Wax Removal Towel, Set of 4
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. When I first joined here and got into detailing I was told that I could pretty much use all MFs for whatever I wanted to in terms of touching the paint. Removing sealant, wax, polish etc. But lately Ive been getting recommendations to NOT use them like that and to have dedicated ones for polish removal, dedicated ones for wax/sealant, and so on... I use old towels for dirty work, but looking to separate the ones for waxes and polishes.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post

Point taken Mike
    Just trying to help out.

and I'm sure it wasn't you who reported me
    Nope wasn't me, I was just letting you know what others see.

4. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post

I was told
    Yep.... lots of people telling everyone how to do everything...

have dedicated ones for polish removal, dedicated ones for wax/sealant, and so on...
    I agree that there are towels that do some jobs better than others and visa-versa.

I've watched you since you joined this forum and you've come a long ways. Most important thing is after investing in quality towels is to have a process in place to wash, dry, inspect and store your towels.

Take care of your towels and they will take care of you.

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

6. Likes MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Yep.... lots of people telling everyone how to do everything...

I agree that there are towels that do some jobs better than others and visa-versa.

I've watched you since you joined this forum and you've come a long ways. Most important thing is after investing in quality towels is to have a process in place to wash, dry, inspect and store your towels.

Take care of your towels and they will take care of you.

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

Thanks Mike! Im just a shade tree detailer that likes to do things himself... if I can improve on that, great! Ive taught a few people along the way too. Ive read that link a million times lol, and I still practice, what I think, is good MF maintenance.

I guess I shoud've been more specific on what THEY told me to do lol. Basically they were talking about the not all wax/sealants come out of MFs thus can cross contaminate say something used when ceramic coating. So say I have a MF that I used last month to remove wax, and then I wash it and so on but then I use that same towel to do an IPA wipe down on a car that Im going to ceramic coat... That towel MIGHT deposit some residue that would or could hinder the ceramic from bonding.

Post Thanks / Like

Am I safe with my Rag Company vs. Brand LM comparison thenSuggestions on alternative MF towels for wax/sealant and polish removal...or should I go with Brand X? I am actually using the Eagle edgeless towels this afternoon on my buddy's 79' RX-7, using them along with N914 in my BlackFire hand pump for a rinseless wash and finally topping it with IGL Premier, plenty of AG sold products represented here...oh wait, ALL OF THEMSuggestions on alternative MF towels for wax/sealant and polish removal

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Am I safe with my Rag Company vs. Brand LM comparison thenSuggestions on alternative MF towels for wax/sealant and polish removal...or should I go with Brand X? I am actually using the Eagle edgeless towels this afternoon on my buddy's 79' RX-7, using them along with N914 in my BlackFire hand pump for a rinseless wash and finally topping it with IGL Premier, plenty of AG sold products represented here...oh wait, ALL OF THEMSuggestions on alternative MF towels for wax/sealant and polish removal

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Probably safe on AUtopia cause if you say LM is better, then it’s bad business here since it takes sales away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

bump once more.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use TRC Eagle edgeless 350 rags for years but It seems that they dont really bite into stuff when removing say polishes or waxes/sealants. Is it just the nature of the long non-looped fibers? Is there something else worth using that is considered good?

TRC has WAY too many rags available lol....

If the Eagle Edgeless 350 is stillt he go to, I'll just deal with it and get more just in other colors and use them for specific things. Such as red for wax, blue for polish etc.

Maybe my towels are just, dead maybe? They're about 5 years old but look great!
    If it's seems like the towel don't do the work as it did when you bought. It may be done and downgraded to work that don't is as dependet on the high soaking ability. So it may be worth to get a new set of towels as they can look great but the function is not there any more.

As time has gone by and I have tested out a lot of different mf towels. I have some kind of nap that works better for me with different applications and removal. If I stumble on a product that get problem with I grabb another kind of nap. Sometimes it works better and sometimes it's the product it self or an user error from me. That is why I have different kind of mf towels to dial in what works best for me. Useally the loop nap mf towel is when I need to cut through the product I use. And the split nap mf towel is when I need to pick up as much residue as possible. I also pay attention in the beginning how the surface is left. And when it starts to smear or in another word leaves product behind I flipp to a new clean side or switch to a new clean mf towel. So very much depending on the work I do and what the mf towel is to do.

The mf towels Mike and Bob linked to. Seems like a great general purpose mf towel. I have found towels like these where I live. These low nap mf towel works great for most jobs. Then sometimes I have to grabb another one that for an example holds more product or goes longer when buffing up the last shine. It's not easy to find the perfect mf towel but you can come close to it with a good set of different kind of nap and density as gsm. Also the quality of both the mf yarn and the woven quality and the blend can have the impact on how well the mf towel works. Then test out how they work for you. And last but also the most important is the care of them. Glass mf towels for an example I always wash separate. And also towels used on long lasting LSP I try to avoid them to dry and soak them fast and wash them directly after I'm done. I don't like to be useing a drying aid as it's messing with the mf drying towel whole purpose to hold up and soak up water. Drying aids is mostly for lubrication but they also break the water surface tension. And the surface tension of the water the drying towels is woven to use the water surface tension to hold as much water as possible. So IMO it's gets redundant to use a drying aid. And if you have a drying mf towel that is not safe on a clean paint with water standing on it. Then IMO it's time to get a quality drying mf towel that is safe to use on it's own. Almost forgot to mention it's the capillary holding ability from the mf drying towel they use to get them to hold an amazing more water amounts. A little sidetrack of your question here. If you take a look at the Gyeon range of mf towels. You can see a nice mix of different kind of nap and to which work they are made for. It's also a great range of different nap to have in your arsenal. And you don't need to be getting all Gyeon but you can compare it to what kind of work you would be useing it for and get a nap that is like them. Then of cause it's works outside of the box uses with some nap. But general speaking the Gyeon I think have a great range of different nap on their mf towels.

12. Likes MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike! Im just a shade tree detailer that likes to do things himself... if I can improve on that, great! Ive taught a few people along the way too. Ive read that link a million times lol, and I still practice, what I think, is good MF maintenance.

I guess I shoud've been more specific on what THEY told me to do lol. Basically they were talking about the not all wax/sealants come out of MFs thus can cross contaminate say something used when ceramic coating. So say I have a MF that I used last month to remove wax, and then I wash it and so on but then I use that same towel to do an IPA wipe down on a car that Im going to ceramic coat... That towel MIGHT deposit some residue that would or could hinder the ceramic from bonding.
    I have a ton of microfibers. Lmao probably more then everyone else in my town combined. Not even joking. I do use different ones for different things put paint towels are going to get mixed around with all the different types of products around. I just started washing them a new way that some might consider excessive,

First I set the machine to prewash and go heavy on the microfiber cleaner. I'll letr them pre soak for at least 20 min before closing the lid and starting the prewash.

Second I run them through a heavy wash cycle with a normal to light amount of microfiber soap.

Third I run them through a regular wash cycle with no soap just rinse water. That way the whole wash cycle is its own through rinse. I noticed a big difference after the first time I tried it like a month ago so I did it again. It's worth the time in my opinion. I'll wear the same pair of jeans for 8 months without washing them so go figure.

If microfiber towels lint I think that means they are defective. I get rid of them or send them back. Nothing worse then a linting towel.

14. Likes MrOneEyedBoh liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast