autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noobie detailer, help me pick a polish.

Thank you for your post. If I do the 3-in-1, can I top it with a sealant after then a coat wax? Reason I’m asking is because the 3in1 puts a thin layer of wax on, I just don’t know if I can put a sealant on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I would be curious to know the condition of the MB paint as it's a 2015. This being the primary vehicle of concern, that's the focus.

Without seeing it in person I would suggest Menzerna HCC 400 along with either an orange or white LC thin pro pad. HCC 400 can finish down incredibly well and you might be satisfied with just adding an LSP especially on silver.

My favorite Menzerna refining polish after HCC400 is the Super Finish Plus (SF-3800). This polish MAY be all you need for the Prius as well.

I would get 8 oz. bottles of each.

Having said all that, you might want the Menz 3-In-1 product and be done with everything with just one go around. I am a cut, buff/polish then protect guy but certainly understand that takes more time than a good AIO or cleaner wax effort.

Go with the HF da if you are budget crunched. Many here use it and are happy with it. If you can spring for the Griots machine BY ALL MEANS jump on that!

If it were me:

GG DA, OR
    LC backing plate for 5" pads for the HF
    6 pack of LC Thin Pro's in 5.5", 3 orange, 3 white. Better yet, 2 6 pax, 6 orange, 6 white.
    8 oz Menz HCC 400
    8 oz. Menz 3800, OR
    Menz 3-in-1

And by all means, practice your machine technique on the Prius. Try the 3800 and white pads as a 1st test. Watch Mike's video's here until you're sick of watching them! Machine polishing is NOT very difficult and once you "feel" it you get it.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
    Having a selection of 400, 2500, and 3500 is a nice set up for a wide variety of situations.

3. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark89 View Post
    Thank you for your post. If I do the 3-in-1, can I top it with a sealant after then a coat wax? Reason I’m asking is because the 3in1 puts a thin layer of wax on, I just don’t know if I can put a sealant on it.
    A lot of people like to do that. I don't hear many bad experiences.

I used to top Meguiar's ColorX with NXT 2.0 about ten years ago.

My personal preference is to just use a dedicated polish and finish with a dedicated sealant.

But by all means, do what ya like.

5. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark89 View Post
    Good question and I'm not sure about a sealant on top. The reason I say that is because the 3-In-1 leaves a wax behind as the LSP. It's one of the detailing "rules" to never apply a sealant over a wax for bonding issues with the paint. It IS ok to wax over a sealant but that's for pure waxes, not cleaner waxes. It would also certainly be ok to add another layer of Menzerna based wax on top.

I like to continue within the "family" of products to keep it safe for compatibility. With Menzerna you have a few options for compatibility...Menzerna, Jescar and Wolfgang products are all (I believe) Menzerna products.

Here's how I would look at it. If you are going to go with 3-In-1 and then add another layer of LSP that's kind of like 2 steps. For the GL and depending on paint condition I might want to go Menz HCC 400 for paint correction and shine, then Jescar PowerLock for protection.

Then add another layer of PowerLock in October.

I understand how you want some substantial protection for the Northeast climate.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that Autogeek sells P&S I would officially recommend using P&S Ultracoat Polish(pink) then finish with a sealant or good wax. I’ve used Ultracoat for a long while now and have always been glad I did! Happy polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the low dusting polishes and Menzerna and HD (now 3D) are good choices.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I like the low dusting polishes and Menzerna and HD (now 3D) are good choices.
    Don't forget about the Griot's creams for low/no dusting, UD.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12