autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Essence after Swirl Removal

Hopefully an easy question here: Should I be cleaning polishing oils (Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover) before applying Essence with a Gloss pad? My guess is no since Essence is a prep, but since I’m not using it for cut and only finessing it on, figured I would ask.

I haven’t decided yet if I’ll remove Essence “oils” before doing PA High Gloss. I don’t think it’s a huge deal either way (not required of it was Reload).

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essence after Swirl Removal

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Hopefully an easy question here: Should I be cleaning polishing oils (Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover) before applying Essence with a Gloss pad? My guess is no since Essence is a prep, but since I’m not using it for cut and only finessing it on, figured I would ask.

I haven’t decided yet if I’ll remove Essence “oils” before doing PA High Gloss. I don’t think it’s a huge deal either way (not required of it was Reload).

Thanks in advance!
    I've only ever used their gloss pads with Essence Plus and honestly I have no use for that product as I think it's a dud.

In terms of Essence Polish it's my go-to favorite. If you're not using it for light correction then I would still apply it with a light polishing pad. White buff and Shine or even a yellow Rupes pad depending on your system. I use it all the time with light cutting and polishing pads with excellent results.

Here's my car with Essence and Rupes Yellow Mille pads. It's wearing Cquartz UK 3.0 and Gliss v2 as it's final LSP's.

As a side note you may see me in the Cranberry area of Pittsburgh this week.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I've only ever used their gloss pads with Essence Plus and honestly I have no use for that product as I think it's a dud.

In terms of Essence Polish it's my go-to favorite. If you're not using it for light correction then I would still apply it with a light polishing pad. White buff and Shine or even a yellow Rupes pad depending on your system. I use it all the time with light cutting and polishing pads with excellent results.

Here's my car with Essence and Rupes Yellow Mille pads. It's wearing Cquartz UK 3.0 and Gliss v2 as it's final LSP's.
    The car looks amazing!! Alas, I will be using the gloss pads only because I bought $50 worth of them because I was told it was the best way to max out gloss with them. My correction is complete, will slap the Essence on today. I plan on doing a few Essence re-dos on this car to test out numerous SiO2 sprays on top, next time I will try a white polishing LC pad (I’m a GG6 user).

BTW, I work in Cranberry. Enjoy your trip! Weather should be good the next few days.

Post Thanks / Like

I wipe the car down with M37 N-914 at about 1:32 dilution first. I do that for every car before sealant or wax even if it does not say to on the LSP bottle. I only use Essence primer to finesse polish. I don't try to get any correction out of it.

5. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not worry since you are not using a coating per say. I wipe it Eraser prior to an actual coating.

7. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I would not worry since you are not using a coating per say. I wipe it Eraser prior to an actual coating.
    Do you wipe down prior to Essence (assuming you compounded)?

Post Thanks / Like

I applied the Essence out of necessity. Not sure I maximized the technique with gloss pads. I had originally planned on quickly applying like a normal sealant (not really working it in), but after some research I saw it may be good to do normal speed 3-4 passes and pressure, even with gloss pads (to activate fillers with heat).

I may have got caught in-between the two methods, somewhat inconsistent on different panels as I noticed the wipe off getting harder with the more passes and pressure. We’ll see how it looks in the sun after I apply PA High Gloss tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Do you wipe down prior to Essence (assuming you compounded)?
    Since I am going to lay down a coating then yes. In your case not necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Since I am going to lay down a coating then yes. In your case not necessary.
    Wouldn’t the Essence totally remove the polishing oils from the previous step though? If so, are you just being extra precautionary using Eraser each step?

Post Thanks / Like

TTQ’s Essence/CQ UK 3.0/Gliss V2 car came out much nicer than mine. Besides the inconsistent application of Essence, I let the PA HG dry on the car too long (Black Audi paint) and there’s very noticeable streaks on half the car before I figured it out. I’m hoping I can get these out after 24 hours cure time (I’m too afraid to try with EcH2O now because I don’t want to mess with HG cure time... not sure if this is the right decision).

Hopefully I get my act together and this turns out to be a nice correction /protection effort, I took a day off from work to do it.