autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes Nano for Wax/Sealant application?

Hi All,

I have recently developed some wrist problems so I have been looking for alternate ways to apply wax. I have tried a 3 inch pad on my small DA but I still find the DA too heavy for my wrists when moving it around. I was wondering if the Rupes Nano would have enough power to use a 3 inch finishing pad for wax application? If not does anyone know of any other light weight machines that can be used to apply wax and sealant? I would prefer something battery powered.

Thanks everyone

Mike Phillips

Re: Rupes Nano for Wax/Sealant application?

I've used the RUPES Nanos a lot and I would say they are a tick to small to use for applying wax to a car BUT it could be done.

Here's another option - I show this to the seasoned members of our local society as they tend to have worn out arms, shoulders etc.

Of course - you can use any wax or sealant you like - this is just one of a number of articles I have showing the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher as a wax spreader.

How to wax by machine with Dodo Juice Carnauba Waxes!

Anytime I can do a paint related procedure by machine I do it. The machine will do it faster with better results every time. The only exception is when I restore antique single stage paint and for the FIRST steps I work by hand and then switch to machine.

I know a lot of guys complain about the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher being to weak to remove swirls and I agree, it is on the anemic side when most of us have other tool options available.

That said I LOVE the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher as a MINI WAXER and a 3" Machine Sander. Below I show how to use it as a machine waxer on this Monster 4x4 Chevy Bel Air.

In order seal the paint and maximize the gloss and protection I chose 2 products from Dodo Juice Carnauba Waxes. Dodo Juice Light Fantastic Soft Wax and Dodo Juice Rainforest Rub Soft Wax.

I love the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher as a machine wax spreader with a 3" foam pad I can place the pad directly into the jar of wax and then simply blip the on/off button on the polisher to get some wax on the pad.

Then it's just a matter of spreading it over the panels about as fast as I can walk around the truck/car thingamajiggy.

Dodo Juice Carnauba Waxes and the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher

And WOW - did she come out looking sweet!

Kind of a cool old 2-door Chevy...

Griot's 3" Mini Polisher

3. Likes ChaoticBliss liked this post
    Mike Phillips

More....

Here's how I prefer to use this polisher to machine wax and that is to slap a RUPES 4" white foam finishing pad on it.

Why hand wax? Machine waxing is the ONLY way to go! Let me show you have to make it fast, easy and safe!

Lots of pad options
    There a dozens of small buffing pads on the market today that fit this tool for machine waxing. The pad you see in the picture below is the RUPES 4" white foam finishing pad. The velcro backing on the back of the pad is approximately 3" in diameter and the pad has a nice TAPER to it resulting in the face of the pad having a 4" diameter or footprint.

Link to Autogeek Store to get this pad: RUPES 4" white foam finishing pad

5. Likes ChaoticBliss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With the looks on the pads on the Rupes Nano you get almost 3" and more exactly 2.75" on the 2" backing plate. Maybe it's enough for you or are you wondering about the 3" backing plate and the face of the pad where it gets 4"? It can maybe work with the Rupes 4" pads on the 2" backing plate. If the sealant or wax is very lubricated. Or a sealant and wax application pad that is 3.25"-3.5" on the foam face.

Have you considered if going with the short neck or long neck Nano? I would think that the short neck would maybe suit you good. Since you have shorter distance from where you hold it than the long neck.

Griots Garage 5 inch Lithium-Ion Random Orbital Polisher is a shape of a sander you hold on top. Would this be something that could work for you?

Griots Garage 5 inch Lithium-Ion Random Orbital Polisher

I have seen a detailer that is a forum member. That beta testing a nano polisher. So it can be that some other brand than Rupes is releasing a nano polisher not far away in time. Sadly it's a little hush hush around these kind of beta testing. I only know about one other nano polisher and think it's only available here in the EU. And it's a corded one too.

Mighty Mini Cordless Polisher is another smaller polisher. Could be worth looking into if you think that the ergonomics suits you.

Mighty Mini Cordless Polisher

/ Tony

7. Likes ChaoticBliss liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Haven't see this old 2-door Chevy for years.... but we detailed here at Autogeek...

1966 Blown Nova - Extreme Makeover - Pictures & Videos

Machine Waxing

Next step... seal the paint with Pinnacle Black Label Synergy

I like the 4" RUPES white foam finishing pads on the Griot's 3" polisher.

Most people hand apply their waxes but I'm a machine guy. By this I mean I try to do EVERY step by machine and the reason why is because the human hand cannot compete with a machine when it comes to creating the best results. Period.

First a quick lesson on how to machine apply a wax using the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher with Rupes 4" white foam finishing pads....

Here's the owner machine applying Synergy....

Here's Denis machine applying Synergy while his brother Matt watches.... these two brothers flew to Stuart, Florida from New York just to be a part of this project.

Dry to a haze
    These next pictures show a thin machine applied coat of Synergy drying. This wax needs to dry to a haze before removing.

after removing the wax...

Small, compact is size and works great to apply any finishing wax or sealant to paint.

9. Likes ChaoticBliss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticBliss View Post
    Hi All,

I have recently developed some wrist problems so I have been looking for alternate ways to apply wax. I have tried a 3 inch pad on my small DA but I still find the DA too heavy for my wrists when moving it around. I was wondering if the Rupes Nano would have enough power to use a 3 inch finishing pad for wax application? If not does anyone know of any other light weight machines that can be used to apply wax and sealant? I would prefer something battery powered.

Thanks everyone
    I have wrist pain from production line work 20+ years ago, this derailed my detailing until the past couple of years. Last year I decided to start polishing my cars again and purchased the Rupes LR15 II, Rupes 75e and Rupes Nano. For waxing I find that the Nano is just too small, the 75e works perfect whether it's on the big GLS550 or the small 4C. What I can't get to on the 4C with the 75e is easily hit by hand. I allow the 75e to basically rest on the paint, thus minimal weight on the wrists. The pad for 75e fits perfectly in the FK1000P tin.

Just put a white pad and go to town. It's nice to be able to polish and wax again, without the machines for waxing by wrists hurt before I could complete just the hood.

11. Likes SWETM, ChaoticBliss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at Griots mini vs Rupes mini weight is 4 lbs vs 6 lbs. maybe at 4 lbs it’s light enough for you to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes ChaoticBliss liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will take a look into those. I'm still trying to figure out what I can and can not do at this point so having options is good.

15. Likes SWETM, Coatingsarecrack liked this post