autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

New Car Prep Plan

I'm getting rid of my daily driver Prius for a daily driver Prius Prime (both blizzard pearl white). I'll be using spray wax on it every 1-2 weeks so it will be well-protected for the long run.

I'm going to tell the dealer not to detail it and deliver it to me as-is. I've done this before and they always give me very strange looks. I'm pretty sure they already put it through their automat at least once, though. I told them to check for paint defects but don't put it through the automatic washer and don't do anything to the paint. Toyotas (especially with J- VINs from Japan) usually come in pretty decent shape.

My plan when I get it is:

1. Iron-X
    2. Clay
    3. Light polish (if necessary for any automat-related swirls)
    4. WDGPS
    5. Headlight and taillight coating (IPA prep)
    6. Windshield and window glass coating after clay
    7. Tire dressing, etc.
    8. Fuzion wax (one week later) although I also like 476s and I might use that instead
    9. FastWax+OCW (every week thereafter)

I did this with the current Prius, my wife's SUV and my Focus RS with good results.

My daily driver Prius has been parked outside in the California sun for its entire life (6-years) and the paint still looks better than showroom with weekly FastWax+OCW applied to it. This car will also be parked outside for the foreseeable future.

I'm locked into these products and have multiple gallons of FastWax and OCW in reserve. I'm not interested in trying new products, I have too many already.

My only questions at this point is should I decon before clay or clay before decon?

...and should I use Fuzion or 476s? My gut says Fuzion over WDGPS but I really like 476s, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car Prep Plan

Decon before clay, can’t go wrong with any lsp step you mentioned as all are solid choices. Congratulations on your new car!

3. Likes Route246 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car Prep Plan

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    Decon before clay, can’t go wrong with any lsp step you mentioned as all are solid choices. Congratulations on your new car!
    Thank you. It is a daily driver so I don't get that excited about it. I do appreciate this forum and AG's products which have shown me that with proper products and protection to clear coat, trim and glass applied continuously and faithfully can yield an appearance that exceeds showroom, even after 6 years in the sun.

Gone are the days of sweat and elbow grease required to remove legacy waxes and sealants (no need to name them here). There are so many products out there that are easy on and easy off that make detailing so pain free now.