autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best ‘dust repelling’ QD?

Quote Originally Posted by cardude2000 View Post
    I am testing/switching between Gtecniq QD, reload, Elixer and MG156.

Used Elixer yesterday and pollen/dust seemed to be attracted to it like a magnet. Not sure if it was just an especially dusty day or what...

Curious if people have thoughts on the best QD when it comes to dust repellency?
    where do you live? Pollen season just started like yesterday. It's only going to get a lot worse from here. It goes away by mid June usually but nothing will keep the pollen off a car.

Best thing you can do is be careful washing it off and hope for a lot of rain.

2. Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardude2000 View Post
    Polychargers! Waaaaaaaaaa???

Never heard of these till now...

Anyone here use them?

How Polycharger Works
    Its marketing mumbo jumbo. You can't beat mother nature

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for reviving an old thread but it is exactly what I was looking for.

I just did a full detail, paint correction, and application of CQUK3 and Reload. I went to home depot (~8 mile roundtrip) after the car had sat in the garage for 3 days since the last application of Reload and nearly a week after the application of CQUK3. When I got home, the hatch on my Golf was covered in dust. Most of that dust came off pretty easy with a blast from the air gun. There were also a few bits of debris on the side of the car that also seemed to come off with a blast of air. I was hoping that the car would stay cleaner than it has so far.

I know that it is not a QD but I have found that Sonax Polymer Net Shield did an outstanding job of keeping the dust to a bare minimum. I drove about 350 miles on a road trip after applying it a few years ago on a black car and had to look closely to find any dust on the surface and even then it was only on the hatch. I would hate to try to apply Polymer Net Sheild over the CQUK3. I'm not even sure it would bond. I might have to do that to see if I get similar results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ecirwin View Post
    Sorry for reviving an old thread but it is exactly what I was looking for.

I just did a full detail, paint correction, and application of CQUK3 and Reload. I went to home depot (~8 mile roundtrip) after the car had sat in the garage for 3 days since the last application of Reload and nearly a week after the application of CQUK3. When I got home, the hatch on my Golf was covered in dust. Most of that dust came off pretty easy with a blast from the air gun. There were also a few bits of debris on the side of the car that also seemed to come off with a blast of air. I was hoping that the car would stay cleaner than it has so far.

I know that it is not a QD but I have found that Sonax Polymer Net Shield did an outstanding job of keeping the dust to a bare minimum. I drove about 350 miles on a road trip after applying it a few years ago on a black car and had to look closely to find any dust on the surface and even then it was only on the hatch. I would hate to try to apply Polymer Net Sheild over the CQUK3. I'm not even sure it would bond. I might have to do that to see if I get similar results.
    Welcome to the forum. You have just rubbed all over the paint and created static. Wait until after the first wash. No need to mask the coatings behavior with another product.

Static Electricity and Dust Attraction to your Car's Paint

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guz. The last of that posting you linked suggests that a QD will reduce the static charge. In my case, I have used Reload (a QD) 4 or 5 times since finishing the CQUK3. The car been in the garage and I have been sheltering in place. It looks so good that it has been rewarding to apply Reload multiple times.

The dusting problem is nothing new and anyone that owns a hatchback knows how quickly the dust will accumulate. It was good to see that 95% of the dust came off with a blast from the air hose. I have seen other products that probably only 50% of the dust would come off with an air blast.

It will be interesting to see what happens after the first wash. I will resist the urge to wipe the car down with Reload after the first wash.

All of this made me wonder if it would be possible to have some conducting thread included in a microfiber towel (like that used in "touch sensitive gloves") that might reduce this tendency to build static charge? Of course we wouldn't want that thread to be anything that might damage the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ecirwin View Post
    Thanks Guz. The last of that posting you linked suggests that a QD will reduce the static charge. In my case, I have used Reload (a QD) 4 or 5 times since finishing the CQUK3. The car been in the garage and I have been sheltering in place. It looks so good that it has been rewarding to apply Reload multiple times.

The dusting problem is nothing new and anyone that owns a hatchback knows how quickly the dust will accumulate. It was good to see that 95% of the dust came off with a blast from the air hose. I have seen other products that probably only 50% of the dust would come off with an air blast.

It will be interesting to see what happens after the first wash. I will resist the urge to wipe the car down with Reload after the first wash.

All of this made me wonder if it would be possible to have some conducting thread included in a microfiber towel (like that used in "touch sensitive gloves") that might reduce this tendency to build static charge? Of course we wouldn't want that thread to be anything that might damage the paint.
    For starters Reload is not a QD. It is actually a spray sealant. You don't need to be using it that often. If you are looking for a QD then either invest in CarPro Elixir or EcH20.

8. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So in about a week since you coated the car you applied Reload 4 or 5 times already?
    Like Guz said, Reload is not a quick detailer, it's a spray sealant (and not the greatest at that) used to boost the water behavior when the coating starts to show degradation. It's also used after a coating to prevent water spots during that first week when the coating is most fragile and prone to spotting.I don't use Reload at all after coating, I just make sure I can keep the car dry for a week and no spots to worry about. For quick detailer / drying aid I use Ech2o diluted 25:1 and I have recently bought a bottle of Elixir to try and haven't yet, due to the quarantine I haven't used my car much and it's been about 6 weeks without a wash.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, I tossed my Reload into the trash. I have a bottle I haven't touched for like almost 4 years, because I just find there's better things out there than Reload. I just pull a coated car into the sun and let it bake for a few hours, I find this helps the most.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not much praise for Reload. My experience has so far been the opposite. Reload did make the surface much slicker although not the slickest I have ever felt. Yes, I am aware that applying it as much as I have is overkill. After spending a day cleaning/decontaminating, a day buffing/polishing, and a day applying CQUK3 an attempted Gliss; I just wanted to make sure it had all the protection I could give it. It’s another topic but it seemed that Gliss would not bond to CQUK3 and would come off in a white fuzz that I thought was lint at first but the fuzz was white and none of my micro fibers are white or have ever had issues with lint in the past.

So, I have ordered some Elixir to use as a QD.

Post Thanks / Like

How old was that bottle of Gliss? Many of us have used Gliss and, at least v2, works pretty well and was easy to apply/remove.
    Bruno Soares

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast