autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Disappointing Afternoon ... Need help with light scratch

So, my wife was loading oversized stuff into the trunk of my A6 (2018). On the deck lid right in front of the trunk was a new scratch.
    I was hopeful because I couldn't 'catch' it with my fingernail.

I went after it with Griot's 3" Correcting pad (orange) and Meg's Ultimate Compound.
    It made it only slightly less visible after several attempts with multiple passes, so I gave up for now.

Questions:

1) Is the paint on a fiber glass panel like the bumper different than on metal panels?
    2) Do I need a more aggressive pad and/or compound (like M105 or something else)?

I was convinced that I could get scratches that weren't so deep as to be felt with my nail, and I've had decent results on others. This one stumped me.

Pics below:

Mike Phillips

Re: Disappointing Afternoon ... Need help with light scratch

I understand how we all get caught up on doing everything with a machine and I promote this as Autogeek doesn't sell hands.... but sometimes it's faster and more effective to go after isolated defects like this first by hand and then clean up any marring from hand polishing by machine.

For this I would get some old school terry cloth and a quality compound, you know, something that uses GREAT abrasive technology, even though according to my own poll I'm wrong about this topic, and then use one or two fingers to rub the compound at a 90 degree angle to the scratch and do what I call,

Put a little passion behind the pad - Mike Phillips

Then after working the area to your satisfaction, and also after hoping and praying your don't rub through the clear layer of paint, (you'll know when you see the color of the basecoat on the terrycloth), then re-polish using any foam pad on any orbital polisher and this will remove the marring from the finger pressure rubbing a compound.

It's all about how much pressure you can exert against a small area versus how the pressure is SO SPREAD OUT when machine buffing. I use to teach hand polishing at Meguiar's. I'm really good at it. Been there done that a lot.

Me? For that area on a daily driver, it would be no big deal. After you load and unload some luggage a few times for trips to the airport you're going to get more scratches there. Just buff, was and then stick a fork in it and call it done.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike!!! I have an unopened tube of ScratchX 2.0 (like 3 months old so new).
    Would that qualify as a quality compound?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Scott in Houston View Post

Thanks Mike!!! I have an unopened tube of ScratchX 2.0 (like 3 months old so new).

Would that qualify as a quality compound?
    No, that's a fine cut polish but with enough passes it will work like a compound.

Car Wax History

I actually have a DVD out from 2006 where I demonstrate correct technique for hand applying ScratchX. Have a copy here in my office. Richard Lin and I made this. It was the FIRST video ever made that shows from start to finish how to use a polisher to buff out a car. Not just a spot on the hood but the entire car.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Thanks again Mike!!

Last question, what would be a quality compound for this scenario?

Post Thanks / Like

After you get that scratch out, it might be benefit you to put some PPF on that area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    After you get that scratch out, it might be benefit you to put some PPF on that area.
    That's my plan! Otherwise, I'd probably just live with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t see a scratch. If that is a bad scratch my cars are in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I understand how we all get caught up on doing everything with a machine and I promote this as Autogeek doesn't sell hands.... but sometimes it's faster and more effective to go after isolated defects like this first by hand and then clean up any marring from hand polishing by machine.

For this I would get some old school terry cloth and a quality compound, you know, something that uses GREAT abrasive technology, even though according to my own poll I'm wrong about this topic, and then use one or two fingers to rub the compound at a 90 degree angle to the scratch and do what I call,

Put a little passion behind the pad - Mike Phillips

Then after working the area to your satisfaction, and also after hoping and praying your don't rub through the clear layer of paint, (you'll know when you see the color of the basecoat on the terrycloth), then re-polish using any foam pad on any orbital polisher and this will remove the marring from the finger pressure rubbing a compound.

It's all about how much pressure you can exert against a small area versus how the pressure is SO SPREAD OUT when machine buffing. I use to teach hand polishing at Meguiar's. I'm really good at it. Been there done that a lot.

Me? For that area on a daily driver, it would be no big deal. After you load and unload some luggage a few times for trips to the airport you're going to get more scratches there. Just buff, was and then stick a fork in it and call it done.

How do you feel about meguiars waxes compared to pinnacle or Blackfire?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Scott in Houston View Post

Wow. Thanks again Mike!!

Last question, what would be a quality compound for this scenario?

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is easy to find locally and we sell it on our store site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast