autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic Topper Question / Repainted Hood

Recently had my hood repainted after burning through the clear with a DA (yes it can happen. Found out the hard way)

Factory paint was a bit thin on a curved edge of a bright white hood, 2017 Jeep. Was trying to remove some scratches caused by some flying rubber on the highway.

Respray was a major pain. The shop couldn't get it right with hairs,dirt and the unfortunate bird dropping before pick up. 3 trys later I took the car and ran.

Finally got the car back and had to attack a butcher job from the wool pad scratches. After about 3-4 days of m105/m205 and pad combinations I decided 98% scratch free was the best outcome and walked away for curing time after applying m305.

30 days later I did a quick once over with m205 and Mckees Prep polish followed by their Enhanced paint coating to protect the hood.

Heres where it got weird. The coating added so much depth and clarity to the paint your now seeing the flaws. Little dimples here and there that the polish/glaze was doing a good job of concealing but now seemed magnified under shop light.

My question being can any topper act as a glaze/filler to hide some of the flaws or is this just the look ill be living with during the life of the coating? Im sure during the gassing out process a few of these spots appeared but were just not so apparent as they are now with the coating. Its obvious the prep polish removed 100% of the oils and filler the glaze provided.

Sorry in advance about the OCD but im sure 2% out there that get my frustration.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Topper Question / Repainted Hood

Perhaps before the coating you could try something like CarPro Essence or Gyeon Primer. Those have small but semi permanent fillers and both are made to receive a coating on top of them. Maybe they could help hide the leftover stuff you mention and not show when coated. Maybe if we saw pics we could help better.
    Bruno Soares

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Perhaps before the coating you could try something like CarPro Essence or Gyeon Primer. Those have small but semi permanent fillers and both are made to receive a coating on top of them. Maybe they could help hide the leftover stuff you mention and not show when coated. Maybe if we saw pics we could help better.
    The color is too reflective under my shop lighting for the camera to pick up the flaws. It takes certain angles of light and unfortunately I dont have 5000k or 6000k bulbs to snap a pic with.

Was really looking for a top coat to avoid polishing off the ceramic but if its the only way ill give it a shot. Will wait to see if anyone has some topper options first.

Did I make a mistake in the process? Should I have used the m205/prep polish/m305/sealer?

Almost positive that I was reading that polishing oils / fillers took away from the bonding of the coating.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've researched and probably have answered my own question. I'm seeing minor issues with solvent pop. Polishing out the wool hack job just brought the imperfections out. Hopefully it doesn't get worse and I can just wash my vehicle and not be critical. Turn the vehicle in about 16 months from now. I'll let the next guy stress.