autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What pressure washers are you guys using ?

I use a dirt killer
    They are expensive
    Impossible to burn up unless you restrict the water supply below the recommendation flow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post
    Thinking about getting myself one.
    I saw a Yahama Powerstroke 3100psi
    the other day in Costco.
    ^^^Not too bad of a deal (and Costco
    has a nearly unmatchable return policy);
    but I prefer pressure washers that come
    with Honda engines.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    ^^^Not too bad of a deal (and Costco
    has a nearly unmatchable return policy);
    but I prefer pressure washers that come
    with Honda engines.

Bob
    Honda small engines are incredible.

However, do not get lazy on winter care of the fuel system.

Honda carburetors are finicky when it comes to ethanol gas.

Always use a fuel stabilizer and drain the entire fuel system for storage, or just use ethanol-free gasoline if available.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post
    As a hobbyist I use the cordless spx6001c. Up here in the Northeast all outdoor water lines are turned off in winter so when we get above freezing I wheel this out and wash 2 cars on one battery charge no problem. When the weather warms And the water is turned on the Sunjoe is used as a final rinse in which I have 1/2 filled the tank with DI water. Can also wheel it on to the dock to wash the boat
    That is an awesome setup. What are the specs on the battery PW?
    I have learned resently that the Kärcher K4-K7 I think it was. Is able to draw water from a tank or bucket. So I'm going to look a little more to find bigger volume of DI water. To use the Kärcher K7 I have also with the last rinse with DI water. The price on DI water here in Sweden on around a gallon is $5-$6. I can lower the pressure and think it lowers the gpm too but not sure about it. If not lowering the gpm from the PW and my PW draw 2.6gpm. That's a lot of DI water for the rinse LOL.

Hondas patent on some of their smaller gas motors has gone out about a year ago. So it's coming out copies on some of those that is actually quite good. The snowblower my stepfather has is one of these copies of Honda engines. Worked last winter and this winter very good. The price difference is huge between them so for some it can be worth it. Just a friendly notice.

Post Thanks / Like

So i picked this up 2.4gpm 3100psi Yamaha Powerstroke gas powered pressure washer last night. It seems to me, that its probably too powerful for using as a foam cannon / cleaning cars. Which is fine cos i do have a lot of other uses for it.. I didn't buy it for cleaning my car, but it would be nice if i could use it for doing so....Anyway according to the documentation, even the white 40degrees nozzle doesn't have a car listed as a recommendation. Lawn equipment, RV and boats are listed to be used. I don't know of a way to dumb down the PSI other than nozzles. Are there any other nozzles out there, that'll bring it down to less pressure so that it'll be more suited to an automobile??

Post Thanks / Like

SunJoe SPX3000. It is perfect for the foam gun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post
    So i picked this up 2.4gpm 3100psi Yamaha Powerstroke gas powered pressure washer last night. It seems to me, that its probably too powerful for using as a foam cannon / cleaning cars. Which is fine cos i do have a lot of other uses for it.. I didn't buy it for cleaning my car, but it would be nice if i could use it for doing so....Anyway according to the documentation, even the white 40degrees nozzle doesn't have a car listed as a recommendation. Lawn equipment, RV and boats are listed to be used. I don't know of a way to dumb down the PSI other than nozzles. Are there any other nozzles out there, that'll bring it down to less pressure so that it'll be more suited to an automobile??
    I would get a set of 40-25-15 degree nozzle tips in the orifice size of 4.0. With that size of the nozzle tip your water pressure from the PW is 1400-1500psi. If you want to be very safe I would go with these. For a little more cleaning ability from the PW I would go with the 3.5 nozzle orifice in the nozzle tip. That would give you 1900psi which is still safe to use on the vehicals. If you go down to the 3.0 nozzle orifice you would get 2500psi and is on the high side and very powerfull. The benefit is that you hold the nozzle tip farther away from the vehical and cover more surface. The Kärcher K7 PW I have has a 2250psi from the nozzle tip and 2.6gpm. And it's awesome to clean the car with and does it in a short time. It's a little how experienced you are with useing PW. It's not that high of a cost to buy another set of nozzle tips if you want more or less psi from it. Often the gpm is the same but not always. And if it changes when you lower the psi it will get you a higher gpm from the PW.

For the foamcannon you are good to use the standard 1.25 orifice in the foamcannon. With the smaller orifice 1.1mm is getting you a high psi from the foamcannon. With the 1.25mm orifice in the foamcannon you have around 1900psi which is great when produce high foam. With the 1.1mm orifice in the foamcannon you get 2500psi from the foamcannon. And that's on the high side when you use the foamcannon but it works if your foamcannon can handle the 2500psi.

The calculation comes from the calculator that MTM has on their website. It's great to look at what orifices you can use with your PW. I think that what is recommended from some people to have a 1000psi. Is to low of psi to effectively cleaning with the PW. I have so I can set the pressure from 600psi-2250psi in my spray gun handle. Which is remote synced to the PW. And I use the 2250psi setting all of the time when cleaning of the prewash foam and rinsing off the car soap. When doing a rinse in the engine compartment I lower it down to around 800psi. If you still want to be in around the 1000psi range your PW would be used with a 5.0 orifice in the nozzle tip.

Hope it helps you some.

Post Thanks / Like

What pressure washers are you guys using ?

Bought this the other week. Mainly for giggles and cleaning my siding on my house. I also have AR's top of the line consumer electric and a Hydroshot.

Of course, I had to try it on a car + w/ foam cannon. I have the original MTM foam cannon from years ago. Got super thick Chemical Guys video shaving cream like foam you don't get with an electric. The 40° nozzle is good for cleaning cars.

BTW, I've had my foam cannon maybe 8 years? and have never rinsed it out once and it works perfectly. I'm not sure the point to rinsing it out - you're using soap in it - which is non corrosive and can stay in a cheap plastic container forever without damaging that. It's diluted in the cannon. Shouldn't ever have an issue really.

Honestly, not a lot of love for gas pressure washers from detailers. But TBH they are faster & just work better. The hose on this specific unit is real rubber - so much better to use than the vinyl kink hoses that come with electric. You can get around the car so much faster with the higher volume & pressure. No electric to plug in - only external you need to worry about is a hose.

This specific machine has idle down and auto choke. Basically you just pull the cord & yr in business. It's fairly quiet as well.

So far I'd recommend this machine. It has a Briggs engine as do all my other motorized equipment & I've never had an issue yet. I do maintain them & run Stabil & Seam Foam in the gas.

10. Thanks thedoc46 thanked for this post
    Likes minerigger, Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What did you spend if you don’t mind my asking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
    What did you spend if you don’t mind my asking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Me ? I paid up the full amount of $350 at Costco. It sparked my interest last week when it was on discount for either $60 or $80 off. However by the time i decided yep i want it (as in cleared it with the wife lol) erm like a day later, it was back up to full price. It also comes with the surface cleaner add-on. So i didn't mind biting the bullet. I'm a bit of a sell confessed Yamaha fanboy so i was drawn in by the logo as i walked past it. I previously had a Karcher Power washer, that took up too much valuable garage space, so i ended up selling it to a friend and just borrowing it when i needed it.. Which was the reverse as he'd always borrow it from me when he needed it. lol, but with this surface cleaner add-on and being a Yamaha, it thought why not ! Plus i can give all this snow foam a try out, even though i know its a gimmicky way to clean a car.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast