autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Is this reasonable quote for Ceramic?

I was quoted by two different guys to do whole car paint correction and ceramic coating of my new Infiniti Q70L, one for $1,000 and the other $1,200. Are these numbers OK? Cquartz Ceramic quote itself is between $700-$800, the rest is paint correction. Warranty is about 3 years.

Mike Phillips

Re: Is this reasonable quote for Ceramic?

Sounds fair to me.

The Infiniti Q70L is a full size passenger car.

Washing with wheels and tires = 2 hours.

Paint correction - this probably means using a medium cut to fine cut polish with foam pad and some form of orbital polisher and this will take someone that's good and fast about 4 hours and if they are using a free spinning orbital possibly longer. If they get on their phone and look at Facebook even longer.

Chemically stripping the paint about 45 minutes to an hour.

Installing the coating about an hour.

Finishing step at least an hour, things like final wipe, dress tires, clean glass, etc.

That's 9 hours minimum and for most detailers I would say closer to 12 hours.

So that's about $100.00 per hour minus the cost of materials and I'll guess $150.00 for materials.

The key thing is to make sure they are using great abrasive technology. At least that's my opinion. Just spoke about that here,

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1631668

Look towards the end of my latest post.

3. Thanks kamisn thanked for this post
    Likes kamisn, fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input. I read your other posts as well, very informative.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by kamisn View Post

Thanks for your input.
    Your welcome. I answered you will processing pictures from the last class.

Pictures: May 2019 Detailing Bootcamp Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

I read your other posts as well, very informative.

That's what I aim for - informative.

Now I have to go clean the mess in the garage after the class so we can shoot new videos tomorrow... more informative stuff....

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a fair price, but which C Quartz are they using? May be a little high for the consumer version, or pretty good for the entry level pro coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I was quoted by two different guys to do whole car paint correction and ceramic coating of my new Infiniti Q70L, one for $1,000 and the other $1,200. Are these numbers OK? Cquartz Ceramic quote itself is between $700-$800, the rest is paint correction. Warranty is about 3 years.
    •IMO:
    -The paint correction part of the quote(s)
    is very reasonable.
    -But to quote between $700-800 for then
    applying a CQuartz Ceramic Coating—to the
    already corrected paint—is approaching the
    level of extortionate highway-robbery: an
    amount I’d personally never be willing to pay.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

8. Likes kamisn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds fair, I would recommend making sure both you and the person doing it are clear on what your expectations are and what can be provided.

10. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told it costs around $1000 so it seems fair.

Side question, how can you tell if certain parts like side mirrors were coated?

Post Thanks / Like

Warranty quotes are always intriguing as the length and strength of a coating has a lot to do with it's care. Also, what exactly are they warranting and based on what criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonton View Post
    I was told it costs around $1000 so it seems fair. Side question, how can you tell if certain parts like side mirrors were coated?
    On that car it's at the higher end of fair if I had to point it out. I'd say more like $800 would be better and do-able but I see why they may have higher prices and operating expenses. Mirror wise, I would look for how the water behavior is.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •IMO: -The paint correction part of the quote(s) is very reasonable. But to quote between $700-800 for then applying a CQuartz Ceramic Coating—to the already corrected paint—is approaching the level of extortionate highway-robbery: an amount I’d personally never be willing to pay.
    Bob
    I think their mistake is in how they present the solution. They would be better off flipping the costs as IMO the correction is more labor intensive and really what keeps people coming to us as details I think. Applying a coating itself isn't difficult but the correction is work, effort and some skill that many don't want to put in and we all know that's the most important part of the gloss.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you, IMO paint correction and prep work is the most important part, and not to downplay ceramic application but I would think 90% of the ceramic application process is in the prep work. Also a lot of detailers only say they will apply ceramic let say for $450 but all you get is a clay and minor paint correction with a spray on ceramic that will only last maximum 6 months with real good care. I found one guy that I have been following for a while on Instagram and he seems to have the level of attention to the details in the insta posts and videos and not charging me arm and leg for the work, but the problem is that he is at least 6 weeks backlogged and booked in advance, but I think it will worth the wait and get the job done right and once.